Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    [...] Since some people are always going to be a-holes, did we assume that risk by being born? [...]
    Yes. And I'm sure that nearly everyone is an a$$hole to someone else. Christopher Hitchins has even written about the a$$holetry of Mother Theresa.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby

Yes. And I'm sure that nearly everyone is an a$$hole to someone else. Christopher Hitchins has even written about the a$$holetry of Mother Theresa.
    Huh. What was the basic premise? (Other than making the rest of us look bad)
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    Huh. What was the basic premise? (Other than making the rest of us look bad)
    He's done it in several places. Here is one example.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    a$$holetry
    That's a damn fine word. I like it.

C.H. brings up some fine points...mainly that of unexamined journalism...which is a HUGE problem. We tend to idolize those that the media idolizes without any real data of our own to justify such thoughts.

bkbk, I honestly don't quite see what you are trying to get at. I think you perhaps getting philosophical...which is fine...I just wasn't sure how that directly played into your current frustration with your neighbors and your approval of video surveilance.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    That's a damn fine word. I like it.
    Glad you didn't find it offensible. BTW, I notice lots of people criticizing a certain President's pronunciation of the the word 'nuclear'. I guess nobody remembers that Carter pronounced it the same way, and he did graduate level work in nuclear physics.

C.H. brings up some fine points...mainly that of unexamined journalism...which is a HUGE problem. We tend to idolize those that the media idolizes without any real data of our own to justify such thoughts.
    No argument there.
    Originally posted by homer
    And to vilify those whom the media vilifies...

Regarding "new-ke-lar," I thought everybody said it that way!
  7.    #47  
    Originally posted by Yorick
    bkbk, do they treat any of your other neighbors the way they treat you, or do you seem to be singled out?
    Also wondering who's been there longer: you or them.
    I've been singled out because I live right next door. They've always been noisy neighbors (incl. running noisy machinery, motorcycles, etc. AT 6AM SUNDAY MORNING, EVEN ON HOLIDAYS) and the NYPD shrugs it off. How DARE I complain!
    I've lived there 3 yrs.; they somewhat more (not sure -- but they wee there when I got there). But I've lived DECADES in the larger neighborhood. So much for the thanks due a native son.
    I was sure when I captured NAZI SALUTES IN BROAD DAYLIGHT directed at me ON VIDEOTAPE (along w/verbal anti-Semitic slurs) I could get SOMEONE "in authority" to care.
    No.
    The NYPD even REFUSED TO EVEN LOOK AT THE EVIDENCE.
    This is your gov't at work in 2001. TODAY.
    To be sure, though, part of the sickness of these people is that they think "if they've been there longer" they "get greater due" -- which is illogical (if you're an "old criminal" you're not better than a "young innocent") and should be utterly indefensible under the law.
    I was even lucky enough to capture ON VIDEOTAPE one "shouting match" in which these sick people identified me as "nothing" because I was "just a renter" (and they are presumably "real people" because they have put money down on, if not actually purchased, homes).
    This is the kind of sick, elitist, exclusivity common to evil people Dr. Peck addresses time & again in "People of the Lie."

Sadly, there is a great loathesomeness out there for those "in authority" to care -- and actually take the steps necessary to perform their job functions! It's so much easier to duck the responsibility and hope either the victim or the problem just ... mooooooooooooooves away. My landlord won't lift a finger, either. I guess "I'm lucky he's tolerated" my objection to their persistently despicable behavior & words and not re-newed my lease because of it.

Still, it is a classic case of the bad driving out the good, and I will probably move as soon as possible -- much like the lack of disciplining the errant Toby will now be forcing me to leave Visor Central ...
    ... you've just read my last post.
    Last edited by bkbk; 06/15/2001 at 02:35 PM.
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein
    Originally posted by bkbk
    [...] much like the lack of disciplining the errant Toby will now be forcing me to leave Visor Central ...
    "You will be missed." - Randal, Clerks
    Thank you, Toby.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Wow, I thought it was a true story. Was it only a analogy of some other conflict?

I have had differences with people on this board before, but never been tempted to leave. I kinda like being exposed to people who say what they mean. Even if I disagree with their opinion/view.

Imagine if you could put people out in the real world on an actual 'ignore list'. Would you do it?

Michael
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    Originally posted by ernieba1

And why does that matter? If they were there first, does that give them the right? If Bkbk was there first, is it any worse?
    Sorry it took so long to reply; been away.
    Some people get proprietary about where they live. When people they don't like, don't trust, etc. move in, they take offense.
    Personal example: Families with elementary-school children live on either side of the house I rent. The children tend to play in and around my yard (I don't mind, for the most part) as well as in their own, so I've talked with them on occasion; one set's parents think I'm weird, though I've never actually had a conversation with them. I *am* rather odd, relatively speaking, but they could at least get to know me before judging me. OTOH, at least they keep it to themselves. (in my experience, kids rarely know when not to talk about things.)

It sounds like bkbk --
    1) has been judged by people who don't know him
    2) is judging Toby without knowing him beyond the back-and-forth at Visor Central.

The perception of persecution is not the same as actual persecution.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    ... much like the lack of disciplining the errant Toby will now be forcing me to leave Visor Central ...
    That's a little harsh, isn't it?
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    Imagine if you could put people out in the real world on an actual 'ignore list'. Would you do it?

Michael
    Nope.
    -Joshua
    So does that mean bblue left, too?
    -Joshua
    I don't do it here (except for a brief experiment with a certain poster just to see what the function did), so I don't see why I'd do it in the real world. Even some a$$holes occasionally have something useful to say.
    Good to hear this from both of you (actually didn't expect another answer from either of you).
    The whole concept of wanting to blot all references of someone from your life because they disagree with you doesn't seem rational.
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."

-- much like the lack of disciplining the errant Toby will now be forcing me to leave Visor Central ...
    We'll miss you.
    Why the **** are you making such a rash desicion though. If you have a problem with a VC membor e-mail staff@visorcentral.com and have them talk to him/her. The Mods go through the boards but sometimes they can't see things.

Fair well...

be good
    do good things
    be happy
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff

{and}

The whole concept of wanting to blot all references of someone from your life because they disagree with you doesn't seem rational.
    In that context, I have an evil ex-girlfriend on an "ignore" list; does that count?
    (Not quite becuase we disagreed, though. She did a despicable thing.)

Originally posted by ****-richardson
    So does that mean bblue left, too?
    bblue's last signature change (this past week) said he was going on a trip until the end of June.
    I expect he'll be back. He opened a couple new question threads the other day which he hasn't responded to, about a major problem with his Visor.
    Originally posted by miradu2000
    [...] If you have a problem with a VC membor e-mail staff@visorcentral.com and have them talk to him/her. [...]
    The problem with a rational course of action in this case, though, Michael, is that the evidence doesn't support his assertion. I'm sure you've noticed at least a few of my posts before. Do you consider every post that I've made here detrimental and only for the purposes of causing trouble?
    Yorick wrote:
    "In that context, I have an evil ex-girlfriend on an "ignore" list; does that count?"

Do you ignore her if she talks to you, or do you just avoid her? There is a difference. You could take it a step farther and ask someone else to physically remove her from the area.

I avoid lots of people that I find annoying (or worse). I think I would feel childish ignoring someone talking to me though.

Toby wrote:
    "The problem with a rational course of action in this case, though, Michael, is that the evidence doesn't support his assertion. I'm sure you've noticed at least a few of my posts before. Do you consider every post that I've made here detrimental and only for the purposes of causing trouble?"

I know I'm not the right Michael (you know what I mean!) Toby, but I felt compelled to say I've never thought you were trying to cause trouble. You just have the (unpopular with some people) habit of saying what you mean, and not lying down when someone disagrees with you. You also take the time to back up your assertions with fact, not hyperbole. While I don't agree with you all the time (heck, I don't even agree with me all the time!), I always find you an intelligent, rational, and thoughtful participant to a discussion.

Your only fault lies in that you don't have red blood like the rest of us, only that anti-freeze stuff. That and the fact you kept rapping me in the back of the head with your scepter (sic).

Michael
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast