1.    #1  
    I bought my 1st computer 6 years ago and have only learned a little about them since then.

I bought a laptop last year and it has only 128MB of RAM, 10 GB of ROM, and a slow processor,,,,, maybe 300 megahertz. It has a usb port but no CD drive. It has a wifi port but no cat 5 data cable port.

It is running XP. The touch pad acts buggy. The IR ports doesn't work. The usb port looses connection and I regularly get a message that the page is not found in IE. Now I get a buffering message regularly in real player and winamp as if in the last week it cant keep up with streaming audio from 128 kbit online radio.

Buying a new laptop is not an option.

There is no data saved in the restore program.

Would I be better off if I restored it back to its original OS version, NT I think?

Is it possible to restore it to the original OS with no CD drive and no license for XP or NT?

I have only Winamp, realplayer installed, no pictures, no music. I only use this thing for online schooling, online radio and writing papers since it is my only source of Microsoft word.

How should I do?
    Are you sure you don't have the Foleo? The specifications do sound like the Foleo...

I think you have an uphill task ahead, restoring to the original version of Windows does not appear to be an option as you don't have the CDs for these. Things like IR not working would mostly be a software problem rather than a hardware malfunction.

I think you can install one of the Linux distibutions to re-vitalise the laptop. Maybe a Linux fan on T|C can help you with that one. Since you have no Windows specific applications (CAD software, for example), Linux would do just fine. OpenOffice would do well as a Microsoft Word replacement. But Linux does have a learning curve.

BTW, what make and model is the laptop?

- mvk
  3.    #3  
    It is a Sony Vaio PCG-Z505S I think the touch pad, the audio controls and the IR are definitely software issues from a lousy xp upgrade. This thing cant handle xp it was originally built for NT and 128 or RAM with no way to upgrade the hardware. I dint know that kind of stuff when I bought it. The flash on web-pages bogs it down.

So linux would run better with this low power hardware? And is open office the same as Word? I have to use word because the online college uses word.

Im going to go look around at the linux stuff. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    It is a Sony Vaio PCG-Z505S I think the touch pad, the audio controls and the IR are definitely software issues from a lousy xp upgrade. This thing cant handle xp it was originally built for NT and 128 or RAM with no way to upgrade the hardware. I dint know that kind of stuff when I bought it. The flash on web-pages bogs it down.

So linux would run better with this low power hardware? And is open office the same as Word? I have to use word because the online college uses word.

Im going to go look around at the linux stuff. Thanks.
    Linux works fine with substandard hardware. Look at Ubuntu or Kubuntu distributions, they're the most user friendly for new Linux installs. The only problem is if your wireless card is Broadcom, but there are support forums for them which will help you get it up and running. OpenOffice is compatible with Microsoft Office (you can save as an MS Office document) and it is free, and comes with either distribution. If that's not good, you can use CrossOver office and run Windows apps on Linux.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    That is a real fine laptop... expensive too!!!

A Google search for that model and Linux landed thousands of pages, meaning Linux probably runs just fine on that model, and any compatibility problems have been addressed... You should also be able to find the correct version and distribution of Linux that will run on it and all the necessary drivers. Just don't go with the current Linux distro fads, maybe older distributions of Linux (RedHat? Debian?) would (probably) work better.

Yes, do backup important data before attempting anything. At the least you could buy a new harddrive (check physical and interface compatibility...) and swap the older one with the new and give it a go, that way you could always get back to the older setup with a simple harddrive swap.
    If you can swing a little money to upgrade, consider getting another hard drive. Not neccessarily a bigger one but just a different one. Then you can install on that drive without fear of not being able to go back. When you are done and happy with the new install and OS, you can wipe the data from the old one and sell it to recoup the money.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    That is a real fine laptop... expensive too!!!

A Google search for that model and Linux landed thousands of pages, meaning Linux probably runs just fine on that model, and any compatibility problems have been addressed... You should also be able to find the correct version and distribution of Linux that will run on it and all the necessary drivers. Just don't go with the current Linux distro fads, maybe older distributions of Linux (RedHat? Debian?) would (probably) work better.

Yes, do backup important data before attempting anything. At the least you could buy a new harddrive (check physical and interface compatibility...) and swap the older one with the new and give it a go, that way you could always get back to the older setup with a simple harddrive swap.
    I got it for nothing because it was falling apart and it wasn't much when it was new I'm sure. I am an extremely broke, over worked and underpaid college student and father of 3 so I have to make this thing work well for no extra money. Streaming Internet radio covers the noise of my daughter playing so then I can focus on tuns of online home work. I am reading up on all the Linux info now.

Thanks for the suggestions
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    If you can swing a little money to upgrade, consider getting another hard drive. Not neccessarily a bigger one but just a different one. Then you can install on that drive without fear of not being able to go back. When you are done and happy with the new install and OS, you can wipe the data from the old one and sell it to recoup the money.
    Cavinjan and GreenHex that is an awesome idea! I didnt know that was possible. I know I can get that for cheap on ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    You should also be able to find the correct version and distribution of Linux that will run on it and all the necessary drivers. Just don't go with the current Linux distro fads, maybe older distributions of Linux (RedHat? Debian?) would (probably) work better.
    I agree there are alot of distro fads, but I still suggest ubuntu or kubuntu. The kernel is based off of debian if I remember correctly. I would definately stay away from RedHat, because it's probably going to require a little to much work command line than you're probably ready to tackle. Off the top of my head, the newbie friendly ones would be: Ubuntu, Debian, and Mandriva (used to be Mandrake).
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    Cavinjan and GreenHex that is an awesome idea! I didnt know that was possible. I know I can get that for cheap on ebay.
    If you can splurge the extra money at the end: instead of selling the drive off when you are done, you can buy a cheap external hard drive enclosure for the old drive and then you have something to backup the entire system.
  11.    #11  
    Today the laptop sounds like it has suffered some major internal damage, loud clicks whines and nothing but error messages against a blue screen............. probably from me smacking the crap out of it. Thursday my used Gateway laptop with a GB of RAM and 3GH processor should arrive. I got it pretty cheap on ebay............. If I haven't posted again by this time next week its cause the wife killed me
    A new laptop is a wonderful toy. I just purchased a new Gateway 3GB unit and almost have it running as well as the Acer it replaced. Pain in the rear.
    Ben