1.    #1  
    Where is the cheapest place to buy new CDs? It's been a while as I've been spoiled by Napster and recently Morpheous. However, one of my favorite artists is releasing a new CD. I thoroughly enjoyed their previous release and never regretted spending the money for it. So I think they deserve my money and I wanted to know how I can make the cheapest contribution

I'm betting big chains have the cheapest prices, but if anyone has a good idea I'd love to hear it.
    -Vincent
    I dunno. I think Aimster or Limewire have the best prices. But OpenNap looks quite tempting. But OpenNap isn't quite as popular of a store as Aimster or Limewire.

iMesh seems to be pretty limited now with their music selection. For the same price you can go somewhere else.

I would have to say go with Aimster or Limewire. Best prices, best selection, 2000 day money back garuntee, how could you lose? Just have a really fast mode of transportation. Especially for Aimster. I'd say about a DSL line at least. Maybe cable.

P.S. If you want to support your artist, go to their concerts AND/OR buy their gear! They would not even make a penny on the song file you downloaded anyway! The money you use to buy CD's goes to sueing Napster!
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
  3.    #3  
    Grr. I have a cable modem so yes I could just download it but I actually think they do deserve payment for their work. They are rendering a service so I'm paying them for it. I normally don't go to concerts and I refuse to buy clothes with logos of bands so I'm afraid those routes aren't possible.
    -Vincent
    Well...

Don't they have like stickers or something? Why not buy like 300 of them? I know bands like GGD have pendants, posters, and stickers! Buy one for each of your friends!

All you are supporting by buying CD's is the CEO of the record label. Per song, the band probably makes less than a penny. The RIAA makes about $4.00 It's sorta sad.......
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    I find that stores such as Target, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, etc... actually have the best prices. Places like Sam Goody, Camelot, etc... have a wider selection though, but sometimes cost up to $5 more.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    bblue:

The artists often do make money off of CD sales...often it is indirect money (ie, the more CDs sold, the bigger their contract second time around).

That said, there is no argument that they should be making more.

Best Buy (and it's wholly owned subsidiaries) sells something like 60% of all CDs in the US. They tend to be the cheapest place to get CDs.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    around here, homer's right. best buy is cheapest and has huge selection--and you can accidentally wander into the electronics areas, too!
    and you can accidentally wander into the electronics areas, too!
    But don't actually buy any electronics there.

IF you must, research first. The employees no next to nothing about the products they sell, and often just outright make stuff up. They also tend to have wacky prices. Most stuff is very competitive, but once in a while you will find something that will be $150 cheaper across the street.

Also, check out some sites such as http://www.bestbuy-sucks.com/ ...lots of info on there.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    IF you must, research first.
    Or use BestBuy as a research place to check out the goods and purchase elsewhere!

Haven't heard of that website..I'll have to take a look! Thanks!
  10.    #10  
    Yeah I figured Best Buy was cheapest. I'd have to go all the way down to Indy to do that though

Thanks for all the replies! I think I'll try Target later. I think Joe Mugg's will get some indirect profits from my venture as a Chocolate Chai Latte sounds good...
    -Vincent
    The artists often do make money off of CD sales...often it is indirect money (ie, the more CDs sold, the bigger their contract second time around). [...]
    The amount an artist makes from their CDs depends on their contract. Average is ~$1, IIRC, with the range being anywhere from $.50 to $2 or so (as a general rule, established artists make more per CD since their risk is less).

Miles Copeland has an interesting take, though.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  12.    #12  
    Interesting Article.
    -Vincent
    I don't trust purple people.
    -David Byrne
    I don't trust purple people.
    we'll chip in and get you a Purple People Eater for Christmas.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by Toby The amount an artist makes from their CDs depends on their contract. Average is ~$1, IIRC, with the range being anywhere from $.50 to $2 or so.
    Most artists that I know (I live in Nashville) get in between 5 and 10 points (percentage) on an album.
    A&B Sound on Seymour Street in Vancouver. $15 - $16 bucks for a lot of the stuff they bring in on volume. And that's in pathetic Canadian dollars.

Check it out next time your in this particular pocket o' paradise.
  17.    #17  
    I picked up my CD today after trying five stores. Two wanted $15 for it (Sam Goody and Target). Wal-Mart and Sam's Club only had the edited version in stock at $12.88. Meijer had it in stock for $12.88! I was pleasantly pleased and left satisfied.
    -Vincent
    To answer the original question, I have found CD Universe to have the best prices. I have purchased CD's from them twice, and they arrived promptly. CD Universe
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley