Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I have been researching a simple way for me to record TV programs and take them with me on the road. I have a Treo, and I am aware of some of the software that is out there to stream/record shows on your PDA, but my Treo is on its way out the door and I don't know what my next phone is going to be.

I always like new gadgets, so I would like to find out from the community what they use for recording shows and watching them on the road.

Here are my needs:

1) I travel during the week, so I am looking for something that hooks up at home, records during the week so I can sync up when I am home on the weekend. I have a DVR from my cable company, but I don't know if I can pull shows from it.

2) Acceptable battery life. I fly 2 1/2 hours, twice a week. So far, most media players I have seen have acceptable battery life (Archos, Touch).

3) Acceptable portability. I don't want to take up too much room in my bag, so I am willing to sacrifice screen size.

So, what are you using?
    I use windows mce to record hdtv, Nero Vision to reencode for the small screen, then TCPMP to watch them on my TX and 755p. In a pinch, I've reencoded to watch on regular cell phones - nearly all can play video these days.
    I think the Slingbox is one of the best gadgets I have ever used! Its perfect for those who travel and all you need is your labtop. And the mobile version works on Palm, Symbian, WM and BB in case you switch platforms.

Of course it doesn't work when flying unless you are using WiFi on the plane - which will be more of an option soon I am sure.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    slingbox here too! I use it mostly on my cell phone and it works great!
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorray View Post
    I have been researching a simple way for me to record TV programs and take them with me on the road. I have a Treo, and I am aware of some of the software that is out there to stream/record shows on your PDA, but my Treo is on its way out the door and I don't know what my next phone is going to be.

I always like new gadgets, so I would like to find out from the community what they use for recording shows and watching them on the road.

Here are my needs:

1) I travel during the week, so I am looking for something that hooks up at home, records during the week so I can sync up when I am home on the weekend. I have a DVR from my cable company, but I don't know if I can pull shows from it.

2) Acceptable battery life. I fly 2 1/2 hours, twice a week. So far, most media players I have seen have acceptable battery life (Archos, Touch).

3) Acceptable portability. I don't want to take up too much room in my bag, so I am willing to sacrifice screen size.

So, what are you using?
    Hi gatorray. As you probably know, I travel quite a bit so I understand your dilema intimately.

Here is what I am doing.

1. I use my laptop. I have a Thinkpad T60P with the extended battery and an extra battery (actually I have four...but TSA has just changed the rules about that whole thing...and the reason for having four is beyond the scope of this thread) for my video playback. I burn everything to the hard drive as I seem to get much better battery life that way than watching a DVD spinning away in my DVD drive.

2. I have two Slingboxes for remote viewing on my Tilt and/or laptop from wherever I am in the world that has internet access. I have tried an app called At-Large to capture the video that streams from the Slingbox and it works quite well. This may be a good option for you to rip stuff to your laptop or PMP. The problem is that the quality is just okay, and you need to be connected to the Silngbox the entire time you're basically playing back the show and capturing it. But it does work and may be a good option for you. Here is the link to at-Large http://www.applian.com/at-large-recorder/index.php

3. The more complicated way (for you since you have cable) is to use a hacked DirecTivo and TyTool to download stuff right to my laptop from my DirecTiVo. I use this method a lot as I can download recorded stuff without having to play back the show (like you would with at-Large and Slingbox) but also the quality is as good as it gets since its basically the MPEG stream recorded right off the satellite and stored onto the Tivo's hard drive. So when I last went overseas I download the entire series "the War" and was able to watch it all right on my laptop while airborne. Pretty cool. Of course, you don't have satellite and I don't think DirecTivos are sold anymore (unless you go EBay).

4. If you are thinking about satellite you could of course go with Dish Network and use an Archos since I believe their DVRs now support most ofthe Archos PMPs. This is the easiest of easy but obviously you'd need to have Dish Network installed...and that may not be possible (depending on trees, buildings, etc. blocking a clear view of the southern hemisphere).

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    [...] 3. The more complicated way (for you since you have cable) [...]
    With cable and a TiVo, it's not complicated at all. You can then just use the TiVoToGo software. With the Plus version, you can additionally sync it to several portable media players. http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/domore/tivotogo/index.html
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    With cable and a TiVo, it's not complicated at all. You can then just use the TiVoToGo software. With the Plus version, you can additionally sync it to several portable media players. http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/domore/tivotogo/index.html
    Cool! Since I don't have cable I haven't kept up much with it all. Sounds like they're ahead of the game as far as TiVo goes. Hopefully that is true with the Tivo boxes using a cablecard for FIOS TV....if so I may be making the leap away form DirecTV very soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Cool! Since I don't have cable I haven't kept up much with it all. Sounds like they're ahead of the game as far as TiVo goes. Hopefully that is true with the Tivo boxes using a cablecard for FIOS TV....if so I may be making the leap away form DirecTV very soon!
    DirecTV's not keeping up with those sort of TiVo features is a big part of why I switched from DirecTV at the end of 2007. They should work with a FIOS Cablecard just the same. The TivoHD and Series3 are the ones you'd be looking at for that sort of service (the Series2DT is standard definition only, so doesn't support CableCards). I got a killer deal on a TiVoHD at the beginning of December and have been really happy with it so far. Bought my daughter a Series2DT for her room, and we can share programs (well, except for HD content on hers) between the DVRs and the desktop in the office. The only current caveat with Cablecards is depending on provider, you might not get all the HD channels yet. Many cable providers are changing to what's called Switched Digital Video which requires a two-way communication with the headend. Since Cablecards are one-way, they won't support it. There's a USB dongle being released to address this (by Q2 of this year supposedly).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Interesting...thank you for the posts. I have been looking at the Tivo. My wife and already have to schedule time so that we can watch our recorded programs. I am not an Oprah fan, and she doesn't like to watch the History channel.

With the TivoToGo support of a variety of PMPs, I should have some good choices for bringing my shows mobile.

Thanks again.