1.    #1  
    Question, why is it, that there is all this talk about Being Green and saving energy and you get 3,000 page phone books delivered to your house or the 3 page receipts from stores after a 3 item purchase?

Why are tax dollars being wasted on MLB to find out if Clemens is lying ? I want Congress to look into the more meaningless issue of GSM phones all being unlocked (Apple) or better yet heath care.

What gets your blood boiling?
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    Question, why is it, that there is all this talk about Being Green and saving energy and you get 3,000 page phone books delivered to your house or the 3 page receipts from stores after a 3 item purchase?

Why are tax dollars being wasted on MLB to find out if Clemens is lying ? I want Congress to look into the more meaningless issue of GSM phones all being unlocked (Apple) or better yet heath care.

What REALLY boils my blood is rants. I HATE rants. GRRRRR! I'm just teasin'.

Actually, the thing that gets my blood boiling is reality tv. I can't stand it anymore. What ever happened to the good 'ol sitcom?
    Palm since Palm Professional --- Treo 650 (2 yrs), iPhone since 6/29/07
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    What REALLY boils my blood is rants. I HATE rants. GRRRRR! I'm just teasin'.
    LOL
    What REALLY gets my blood boiling is that Sprint's exclusive on the Centro has expired, we know the GSM one is in the wild, and NO mention from anyone as to a release date. Only speculation... I'm so mad I could spit.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts

Try as I might I could find no place in the Constitution that gives congress the authority to control sports. Nor could I find a mention of health care either, for that matter. <shrug>
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
  6.    #6  
    You are a spy.
    Phone books are a scam, but they are recyclable so the issue doesn't boil my blood. Funny though I just read a piece in my local weekly about this very same issue. The numbers are a quite staggering.

http://wweek.com/editorial/3410/10251/
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    You are a spy.
    dang, you got me. Wait, a spy for who? Or is that whom?
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
  9. TheOneThing

I have no comment about phonebooks, but your question regarding the MLB has an answer. I'll try to be succinct as possible.

In this country, there are laws governing businesses that do business across state borders. All of these businesses are subject to laws called "anti-trust" laws. Anti-trust laws prevent these businesses from controlling trade and setting monopolies.

Baseball, as it were, is exempt from this law. This stems from a Supreme Court decision in 1922. At the time, there were, essentially, two major leagues. One major league sued the other because they were unable to sign players due to monopolistic practices. The decision rendered by the SCOTUS was that the league (that was charged with monopolistic practices) was merely an organization that scheduled games, but the pratices of its members clubs where wholly local and self-determining.

As it stands, MLB in 1922 did not assert the overriding control that it does today over its clubs. However, for one reason or another, the original SCOTUS decision has never been overruled and, therefore, baseball enjoys "anti-trust" exemption status. Major League Baseball is the only sport, or business, that possesses this particular status of a "complete" exemption.

So it is for this reason that you will hear Congress tell baseball to "clean things up" or else they will revoke baseball's privledged position.

Baseball desperately wants to keep this exemption because it gives the MLB complete control over its teams. Money, fairly or unfairly, is the driving mechanism in this relationship as it is in most others.

So it is on the basis of baseball's exemption clause that Congress avails itself of baseball's business. And baseball is a very big business indeed.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    sure, are correct in WHY baseball capitulates to the feds, but that isnt' the same as the feds being given that power by the constitution. They have that power because of coersion.
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
  11. TheOneThing
    Quote Originally Posted by finnd View Post
    sure, are correct in WHY baseball capitulates to the feds, but that isnt' the same as the feds being given that power by the constitution. They have that power because of coersion.
    I believe it was you who made the comment:

"Try as I might I could find no place in the Constitution that gives congress the authority to control sports."

The issue of Congress' needling in the affairs of baseball has nothing to do with the fact that it is a governing body of the national pastime, but has everything to do with the fact that it just so happens that baseball (due to historical circumstances) is exempt from anti-trust laws.

The Sherman Act, which is the grand-daddy of all anti-trust laws, had nothing to do with baseball specifically. You will find some organizations in and out of the sporting world that are exempt from some anti-trust laws.