Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by homer
    BEFORE purchaseing at a NY store, be sure to read about it at http://www.photo.net

Most of those NY places are in business solely to try and rip you off. A lot of them sell un-advertised refurbs/older models/etc...

Be careful!
    You're right. I've had plenty of experience getting excited about a great price only to discover the NY/NJ/East coast dealer wanted $50 for shipping (making the price higher than retail in many cases), wanted to apologize for misquoting claming his quote wasn't authorized and he'd have to charge more (+$50 again), or didn't have any more "european" models and the USA version would be (you guessed it) $50 more. As soon as I'd hear any sort of con (attempt to charge more) I'd cancel, and cross that add out of whatever magazing I'd found it in.

But the Olympus was a brand new model. Not likely to be any refurbs yet. It was a web order where I knew the promised price, shipping, and taxes (if any) before finalizing. I knew it was a new york dealer the second I called, but simply declined all other attempts at getting my money. I got my camera. It was in a factory sealed box. Works flawlessly, and makes me look like a better photographer than I really am.
    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.
    Thought I'd revice this thread because I too am comsidering the Canon S110 and I've got a couple of questions:

Does everyone still like it? Anyone have any problems with it? Any major shortcomings? How does it do in low light?
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
  3.    #23  
    Well, I've had mine for about 5 months. I love it. It's great. The movie clips are really nice. They aren't as nice as a real digital camcorder, but they're a nice 'bonus' to have. We got our camera when our baby was born and it's been really great having little movies of our kid growing up.

A few months ago I FINALLY got around to reading the manual. It has a LOT of manual settings you can play with. It can adjust to all sorts of lighting conditions, and you can adjust the exposure to let it handle low light situations. I've had success playing with the exposure and lighting settings.

Be sure to shop around. When we bought it, it was $500. Several places still sell it for that, but I know others, like CompUSA have dropped it to $400.

You WILL need a bigger memory card. The 8mb it comes with is kind of insulting (why bother including it?).

It's a sturdy camera, but get a case. Also, you'll probably want a second battery for it as well.

Have fun!
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    You WILL need a bigger memory card. The 8mb it comes with is kind of insulting (why bother including it?).

Extra memory for your Visor!

I have the S100 (bought it about a year ago...11 months, maybe.

I love it. Use it all the time (mainly because it's small enough to carry without a problem).

I don't think i'll buy another digital camera for a very long time.
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Both my brother and sister recently got one (I'd complain, but I got a trip to Hawaii to see said brother get married, so....). After playing around with them, I say hands-down they're the best digital camera under a grand, maybe 2 grand.
    I chose the S300 for all the reasons that others have chosen an Elph. The form factor was VERY important to me as I wanted something that would fit comfortably in my pocket for travel.

I couldn't find the S300 locally, so I bought from an outfit found on CNet. Please e-mail me with any questions at:

quvs6l8ks001@sneakemail.com

thanks,
    Veronica
    I'm real happy with my Coolpix 775, very small, durable--3X zoom and macro are great! It boots up slow and reviews pics slowly though. Taking pics that require precise timing isn't a prob with pre-focusing. Oh yeah--it's 256-segment metering versus center weighted--generally gives you more accurate focus. Good flash, too.
    -Vincent
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12