1.    #1  
    Almost anyone, who has been required to “Press 1 for English,” has gotten a little riled about the requirement – with darned good reason. Think about it. You are being asked, IN ENGLISH, to press one if you speak SPANISH. Now, it’s true that this message is, usually, repeated in Spanish, immediately following its English presentation. Still, the absurdity of the whole thing grates, at the outset. Worse, the situation is getting out of hand.

However, there is good news. Allow me to preface… Pay attention, the next time you’re watching an older film, or rebroadcast television show – say, from about the 70’s and earlier. Observe how those folks used to have to nudge a dial, with their finger, in order to place a call. That was called “Rotary Dialing,” and it was considered a major technological breakthrough, around the middle of the last century.

Here’s the thing, though. Most all automated phone menus rely upon the incoming caller being in possession of, and using, a PUSH-BUTTON phone. So, what happens, if you can’t, or won’t, just push the “1” button? Well, for such events, the automated system must, too, have an answer. And, it usually goes something like this: If you simply do nothing, eventually the automated voice will announce that a representative (agent, whatever) will be with you shortly. That’s right. The automated phone menu, which wanted to know every little thing about you, will give up and signal for a real person to come to the line.

Granted, the live person will probably ask you all of the same questions that the automated system did. Though, in my experience, this will happen, whether you have already spilled your guts to a computer menu, or not.

This method may not get the same results from all menu systems. Does the trick for most of them, though. Try it, some time. Hope that you will find it to be as liberating, as have I.

Not an anarchist, mind you. Just tired of having to do everything twice.
    "There is, absolutely, everything no one can do about it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Perk View Post
    However, there is good news. Allow me to preface… Pay attention, the next time you’re watching an older film, or rebroadcast television show – say, from about the 70’s and earlier. Observe how those folks used to have to nudge a dial, with their finger, in order to place a call. That was called “Rotary Dialing,” and it was considered a major technological breakthrough, around the middle of the last century.
    Man....am I really that old that there is a fully grown generation that their only personal association to a rotary phone is by old movies. I don't consider myself "old" by any means of the word (still in my 30's), but I guess I am one of "those folks (who) used to have to nudge a dial, with (my) finger, in order to place a call. That was called Rotary Dialing"....
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    Man....am I really that old that there is a fully grown generation that their only personal association to a rotary phone is by old movies. I don't consider myself "old" by any means of the word (still in my 30's), but I guess I am one of "those folks (who) used to have to nudge a dial, with (my) finger, in order to place a call. That was called Rotary Dialing"....
    you kids -- always this fetish for speed speed speed !!!

In my day I got weepy the first time I got IMed by smoke signal.

As I got older and messages began to be transmitted by pigeon I was dumb founded -- I thought it was as though the time and space continuum itself had become been stretched and warped.

As though I had fallen through a worm hole -- (which btw, I've only ever seen after a rain storm ...)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  4.    #4  
    Jeepers, fellers. Came into the world, when cars still had tail-fins, myself. Just didn’t realize that a coupla hep katz, such as yourselves, might still be so darned well-informed about rotary phones.

Must have been, somebody already posted about the things. So, now, I reckon the cat’s out of the bag. Simply, everyone will know about ‘em.

Shucks.
    "There is, absolutely, everything no one can do about it."
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    I don't miss rotary phones much. I do miss the cool sound they made as you dialed them though. In fact, I wish I could find tones that replicate that sound for my Tilt when I dial phone numbers.

BTW - does anyone remember when Ma Bell used to charge you extra if you had a touch-tone phone?
    Ah yes, glory days. Even though one only needed to dial five digits to place a call back in the small town in which I grew up, it really sucked when you messed up the last number. Having to redial was a pain, especially a number with lots of nines and zeros.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo View Post
    Ah yes, glory days. Even though one only needed to dial five digits to place a call back in the small town in which I grew up, it really sucked when you messed up the last number. Having to redial was a pain, especially a number with lots of nines and zeros.
    Even more fun back then - redialing after you realize you just dialed while your neighbor was using the "party line". Better yet, listening to your party line neighbor dialing over your conversation!
    I always hated jamming my finger on the 9's or 0's. It usually happened near the end of the number, after fatigue had set in dialing the first 5 or 6 digits. I'd start thinking to myself, "Almost there! Don't screw this up! You'll have to start ALL OVER and you might break a finger this time!" and then lo and behold, I'd start that last digit and somehow jam my dialing finger in the mechanism -- talk about painful! (both for the finger and the need to dial all over again). Ah, those certainly were the days.... <sigh>
    Palm since Palm Professional --- Treo 650 (2 yrs), iPhone since 6/29/07
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I wonder what a Treo with a rotary dial would look like? It should have a 2-foot shiney silver telescopic antenna mounted on it too.