Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'd vote for (In no particular order):

Frankenstein / Bride of Frankenstein (1931/34)
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Stalker
    Ran
    Birdy
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Duck Soup
    Monty Python & the Holy Grail
    Terminator

And one which isn't so much "best" as it is "Really Nifty that Nobody's Ever Heard of": "Murders at the Zoo."
    Originally posted by narnia_77
    <snip> A "favorite" to me is one that I can watch over and over and not be totally bored. <snip>
    I take it even 1 step further, and I'm not sure a lot of fish will want to follow me into these waters, but:
    "Best of all time" is THE ONE you'd take w/you on a desert island ... knowing you'd NEVER be able to watch another one for the REST OF YOUR LIFE.
    Mine's "T2"
    My reasons (hey, folks, we're making all kinds of long lists, but are pretty sparse on the reasons, eh?) ... REASONS? For "T2"? Man, "T2" don't NEED no stinking reasons!
    Uh, ... I just consider it flawless, I guess. (Yeah, "T1" is pretty rad, too. It KILLS me to think that JC COULD have been shooting "T3" instead of that "Titaniumic," or whatever it was called, film.)
    Before "T2" came along, it was "Raiders of the Lost Ark." (Jeepers, it's another one I'd have to say: "You need REASONS why anybody likes that film?)

I swear I'll try to think of "also-rans" that didn't make my #1 of all-time, but are still way up there ... and produce REASONS! (Or at least a few raisins! Hey, man -- don't touch those; those AREN'T raisins! Ha, ha, ha.... )
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein
    Originally posted by bkbk
    Uh, ... I just consider it flawless
    Actually, I thought it had a rather major flaw in it. There are two very good reasons for using cyborgs for soldiers:

1. strength of machine.
    2. can blend in with humans.

However, the benefit of two is lost if all the cyborgs look alike. Alas, why would the cyborg in T2 appear the same way as the cyborg in T1 when they're different cyborgs?

The answer, of course, is that that way Arny can star in it. However, I think it's a major flaw in the logic of the terminator world.

mc
    Originally posted by mensachicken

Actually, I thought it had a rather major flaw in it. There are two very good reasons for using cyborgs for soldiers:

1. strength of machine.
    2. can blend in with humans.

However, the benefit of two is lost if all the cyborgs look alike. Alas, why would the cyborg in T2 appear the same way as the cyborg in T1 when they're different cyborgs?
    In "Narnia-land" this makes perfect sense... (hee hee)
    The machines finally figured out that having all the T-800's look the same was a dumb idea and they created newer models - ending up with the T-1000 model that could mimic any human it touched. The T-800 in the second movie was just an old model that the resistance got ahold of and re-programmed to protect John Connor.

Wait - I have to look something up... I read this somewhere before... OK found it!
    from the booklet that came with a T2 DVD:
    "Cameron completed the first draft of 140 pages on May 10, 1990. Considered a work-in-progress, this draft contained a considerable longer future war sequence at the beginning of the film where John Conner defeats Skynet, breaks into the time-displacement lab, and sends young Kyle Reese - bearing a mission and a message for Sarah - through time. Afterwards, John discovers a cold-storage room filled with racks of unactivated terminators."
    Hmmm, I like my version better.
    "Attitudes are contagious... Is YOURS worth catching?"
  5.    #25  
    Originally posted by RSGMOOSE
    Isn't that enough? It's hard to believe that Kubrick did "Eyes Wide Shut" but without a doubt - 2001 was his best work, IMHO.
    I won't disagree, but you reminded me that I forgot to include Dr. Strangelove in my own list.
    -Princess Bride
    -Dead Poets Society
    -The Fisher King
    -Good Will Hunting (hmmm...guess I'm a big Robin Williams fan)
    -And The Band Played On (I think that's the title)
    -Indiana Jones series
    -Goonies
    Fat's
    Originally posted by Gameboy70

I won't disagree, but you reminded me that I forgot to include Dr. Strangelove in my own list.
    i can't stand 2001 or the shining, don't mind strangelove and lolita, and think his best work is in the killing, paths of glory, full metal jacket, and clockwork orange.

mc
    Originally posted by mensachicken
    Actually, I thought it had a rather major flaw in it. <snip>
    The answer, of course, is that that way Arny can star in it.<snip>
    Oh yeah, you're right (kind of -- and so's Narnia77); it's not "flawless" -- I just used that word in an "accolade" kind of sense; I didn't mean it literally. (Screwey, since I'm usually such a stickler for preciseness of communication, etc. SkyNet programmed me that way, he he! )
    But I think Narnia77 covers the "reason" Arnie appears in both films well.
    Still, I consider this a major flaw for ANOTHER reason: his pay! 1) It's not like he can act; 2) Any other musclehead could have played the role; 3) As pointed out, in a "morphing" script -- any android could be anyone, or played by anyone, etc.; 4) The studio blew $15Mil (Arnie's reported "salary" -- tho I think he was given a [used?] GulfStream jet in lieu) for nada.

A BIGGER flaw, if you ask me (nevermind that you didn't) is Cameron's repeated ducking of the issue (rare for him -- prob. H'wood's top thinker / scriptwriter of all time; I think "all the stuff he didn't shoot" on this project alone proves that -- and it lets me KNOW he's fully capable of creating a "T3" [WITH 3 TERMINATORS, JIM, PUHHHHHLEEEZZZE!!!], despite the "self-termination" in "T2") of the philos. question little John Connor repeatedly implies upon him:
    "You JUST CAN'T kill people!"
    "Why?" the Terminator asks, "I'm a Terminator!"

OF COURSE "the humans watching the film" just take it as a fait accompli the Terminator will not kill humans -- but the REASONING is never presented; but if you're a robot -- what the heck do you care if you kill all the humans or not?
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein
    Bad post.
    Last edited by bkbk; 06/12/2001 at 10:33 PM.
  10. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    I can't think of all of them right now, but one of my favorites hasn't been mentioned yet: Cinema Paradiso
    Also, I recently saw Memento, and if you haven't seen it yet, go see it! You won't be disappointed. (and
    without giving anything important away, let me just say that the guy could have made it a lot easier on
    himself if he just carried a visor! )
    Oh Brother Where Art Thou came out on video yesterday and, while it is not yet one of my favorites, it is worth seeing. I enjoyed the spoken humor and the facial expressions. In addition, the setting and type of movie were refreshingly different than many movies made today.

Of course, if you rent/buy it and hate it, I'm sure VisorCentral will refund your money!
    K,
    You must forgive me if I do a little math here:
    + You're female
    + G. Clooney is in this film
    = perhaps not quite an "accurate recomm." for everyone, esp. the guys.

I was just talking up "Demolition Man" w/Snipes & Stallone to a few ppl. at work here -- highly recomm. Tho it prob. made a good $100M, I still feel it's often overlooked, and am always surprised by the number & persons who've said they've never seen it.

ALSO SERIOUSLY OVERLOOKED, AND A FILM WHOSE POLEMICS (voc. wrd. #117!) MANY HERE WOULD PROB. ENJOY IS:
    "JUDGE DREDD"
    (Is it "Dread"? or merely a play-on-words? Anyway, also pretty unfairly overlooked. It's not "T2," but it's not "SpaceBalls," either.)
    Last edited by bkbk; 06/13/2001 at 10:48 PM.
    ALSO SERIOUSLY OVERLOOKED, AND A FILM WHOSE POLEMICS (voc. wrd. #117!) MANY HERE WOULD PROB. ENJOY IS:
    "JUDGE DREDD"
    (Is it "Dread"? or merely a play-on-words? Anyway, also pretty unfairly overlooked. It's not "T2," but it's not "SpaceBalls," either.)
    It's "Dredd." It's based on a comic book from the UK.
    It's an okay movie but like many "comic booky" movies has some flaws.
    As "polemic" means "to argue" or "argument" I'm not sure what you mean. I don't recall any arguments over movies or handheld computers in Judge Dredd.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    K,
    You must forgive me if I do a little math here:
    + You're female
    + G. Clooney is in this film
    = perhaps not quite an "accurate recomm." for everyone, esp. the guys.
    Well, all I know is that my husband and his brother saw it about a month ago and have been cracking themselves up ever since then by repeating lines from the movie.

In fact, husb and I had a "date" for the night of it's release on video planned for a couple of weeks. (His idea, even--he even cooked!)

It's set in Depression Era Mississippi, with Huey Long-esque political shenanigans, based loosely on Homer's Odyssey, has "fightin" and "drankin"--

And, bkbk, did I mention--three wet and scantily-clad "sirens" in the river--there, that'll get your attention!
    So meny Movies so little time at work to think of them!!
    Shawshank Redemption
    The Usual Suspects
    Fight Club
    The Matrix
    Raising Arizona
    Tombstone (YOU AIN'T NO DAISY!)
    Bladerunner
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    all of the Star Wars movies
    Pulp Fiction
    Braveheart
    Princess Bride
    Then the John Cusack corner:
    Better Off Dead
    Say Anything
    The Grifters
    I am sure that I am missing some but we all have only so much time.
    Last edited by The Rambler; 06/14/2001 at 11:43 AM.
    Son mis dos centados!
    Originally posted by Rob
    I can't think of all of them right now, but one of my favorites hasn't been mentioned yet: Cinema Paradiso
    Also, I recently saw Memento, and if you haven't seen it yet, go see it! You won't be disappointed. (and
    without giving anything important away, let me just say that the guy could have made it a lot easier on
    himself if he just carried a visor! )
    I saw it as well and I loved it, It might have made my list but I want to give it some time to sink in. If this thread was started next year Memento may be in my list. I also was thinking the same thing about Guy having a Visor .
    Son mis dos centados!
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    1) <snip> In fact, husb and I had a "date" for the night of it's release on video planned for a couple of weeks. (His idea, even--he even cooked!) <snip>
    2) And, bkbk, did I mention--three wet and scantily-clad "sirens" in the river--there, that'll get your attention!
    1) Hmmmmm ... hubby's "agreeing he likes this film, too" seems to get more & more suspect....
    2) Well, I hate to admit it but now yer talkin' my language. Okay, I GUESS I'll check it out.... Can't promise when, tho.
    (Extra "speed bonus points" if I may know who the 3 scanties are ... anyone famous?)
    Originally posted by Yorick
    <snip> As "polemic" means "to argue" or "argument" I'm not sure what you mean. I don't recall any arguments over movies or handheld computers in Judge Dredd.
    Have you not read the "mammoth InnoGear post" of about 1 yr. ago? I'm miffed! (Can I get a dictionary def. on that one?) I thought it put me on the map....

Have you not read the "mammoth InnoGear post" of about 1 yr. ago? I'm miffed! (Can I get a dictionary def. on that one?) I thought it put me on the map....
    Well, as you'll note over there to the left, I wasn't here a year ago ... I only read back to about December 2000 when I first came across VC. sorry bout that! I'll go read it later tonight.

"miffed," per my 1980 copy of Websters, means (paraphrasing) to offend, take offense, put out of humor, OR a trivial quarrel or fit of the sulks. so there.

(later)
    okay, I can't find it, after searching for (variously) "polemic" "InnoGear" "mammoth" and "bkbk" ...
    I did however, find a pet peeve thread that I missed entirely when I first got here
    Does anyone know? Anyone? Anyone?
    Last edited by Yorick; 06/15/2001 at 12:50 AM.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.

1) Hmmmmm ... hubby's "agreeing he likes this film, too" seems to get more & more suspect....
    Well, it was more like he liked it so much he had to think of a way to get me to see it, too. (Plus he needed an excuse to grill a Black Angus Ribeye for his lady! )

(Extra "speed bonus points" if I may know who the 3 scanties are ... anyone famous?)
    Sorry--I didn't recognize them but they would most likely appeal to you, I would imagine. The only woman in the movie I knew was Holly Hunter. and she was clothed. and not in the river.

See it and let me know what'cha think--oh, I should mention that bluegrass music is featured rather heavily, so be prepared for some twangin'.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast