Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    "If you get a good chance to see these films, PASS."

.... And give your reason. ("Worst" can be so subjective.)
    Suffice it to say that the main criterion is to save your fellow VC members 2 wasted hrs. of life -- but nice if you can offer up other(s).

I seeded this in another thread:
    "Heaven and Earth"
    (Because it shows how much people can really suck -- somehow worse because it's a U.S. serviceman (T.Lee Jones, who's NOT an actor who's afraid to make his character look bad), who're supposed to be morally upright, etc.

Of course, Stone's "NBK" might be the worst / hardest film to see in this regard. It just re-defines over-the-top....

Another atrocious film (that should never have been made) is Brian DePalma's "Casualties of War" w/Sean Penn & M.J. Fox, again showing humans to suck like they're worse than bugs.
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein
    you only like movies that show people unrealistically, then?

mc
    Originally posted by bkbk
    "If you get a good chance to see these films, PASS."
    "Heaven and Earth" I've not seen so I refuse to comment on it specifically.
    It is, however, based on actual events, as is "Casualties of War." Both concern the Vietnam War where a great number of inhuman atrocities occured. Not every war situation is like "M*A*S*H" (the film, not the series).
    "Natural Born Killers" I understand was intended as satire. Satire and parody lend themselves to being "over-the-top."
    As you say, "worst" is subjective. so is "best."

mensachicken said it much better than I.
    I've said what I felt necessary and will be staying out of this mess hereafter.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Here's my list.

1) Air Bud 1
    Unoriginal plot
    Stupid Plot
    Bad Acting
    Unrealistic Plot
    Classic "Disney" problems

2) Air Bud 2
    Unoriginal plot
    Stupid Plot
    Bad Acting
    Unrealistic Plot
    Classic "Disney" problems
    Stupidity to continue on with series.

3) George of the Jungle
    Everything about this movie BLOWS worse than Clinton.

4) Space Oddesy 2001
    Not bad, but uh... they stretched 10 minutes of plot to cover a few hours. (prepares for flames) If you're going to see it, make sure you have your remote control. Ruined an otherwise excellent movie.

5) Gladiator
    BAD acting
    BAD & unrealistic plot.
    BAD computer graphics. (We're not in 1991!)

6) Mouse Hunt
    Need I say more?

7) The Borrowers
    Based off an already terrible book.

8) Scary Movie
    The best parts are the ads
    It's targeted to people with an IQ of -2.
    Movie gets downright pathetic.

9) Blair Witch Project
    Slept through it. Need I say more?

10) Pearl Harbor
    Historically Incorrect.
    Same problems as "Titanic."
    Crappy plot messes with a dramatic event!

11) Titanic
    Who the hell cares about Jack & Rose? Get em neutered and get on with it! I wanna see the damn thing SINK!

12) Driven
    Awesome racing scenes ruined by bad acting.

13) In the Army now.
    Uh... when Pauly Shore got his hair cut off, that was the only even "partially" funny part. It was so stupid I should have demanded a refund as well as $100.00 for time lost!

14) Banannas in Pajamas slumber party
    These hideous creatures are out to get your kids!!!

15) Rugrats the Movie.
    Slept through this one too. At least my 6 year old cousin at the time was able to remember enough to say "it sucked."
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
  5.    #5  
    I don't know where you guys are coming from or going w/these comments. (Judging my entire oeuvre on 3 films?)
    But Woody Allen's:
    "Interiors" completely sucks & is a total waste of time.
    No jokes. No insight. No nothin'.
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein
    without a doubt,

"Eyes wide shut"

Halfway thru, I told my friend to watch how many times a line of dialog is repeated. She said it ruined the last hour of the 3 hour movie for her.

Exactly 1 second later, the dialog went
    "Do you want to know what time it is?",
    "Yeah, I want to know what time it is."
    "I'll tell you what time it is."
    "Well, what time is it?"
    "I cannot live without books." Thomas Jefferson
  7.    #7  
    Too funny.
    Man, bblue, you have been burned bad in celluloid -- the Acadmey should give you a special Oscar!
    Jeepers, I liked "Mouse Hunt."
    I thought they got a lot out of a plot I thought they wouldn't be able to get much out of. Also the camera angles. Also, the little critter was kinda cute.
    I agree w/all of your others, tho.
    Amazed you could come up w/so many so fast.
    I'm still stuck on one at-a-time.
    (It'd be too hard to match the following bad movie movie w/the previous bad movie's last letter, tho, eh?)

"Private Benjamin" really sucked for me -- I couldn't understand what the hype was all about. You didn't even get to see Goldie Hawn in her panties or anything. Oh well, maybe her daughter will re-make it, or make a sequel, or something, and correct the oversight....
    by Yorick
    ..."worst" is subjective. so is "best."
    So VERY true. Therefore I will not say this is the worst movie I've ever seen - lots of people actually loved it. (Check out some of the movie reviews on Amazon.com.)

Barton Fink (1991) - with John Turturro and John Goodman. Directed by Joel Coen.

Basically, I just didn't get it. I'll sit through most anything, but I almost walked out on this one. I usually like movies that some people (at least the ones I hang-out with...) consider "strange". I even like most bad "B-movies." (My friends hate when it's my turn to pick a movie to rent - I go for ones they have never heard of.) To be fair to Barton Fink, part of the reason I didn't get it might be the fact that one of my friends was poking me in the side every 10 minutes saying, "This movie sucks. Let's go." and me saying, "Wait, I'm gonna get this any second now..."

You know, I don't see this thread lasting very long because someone is going to insult someone else's favorite movie, and virtual fists will start flying... (Gosh, I hope no ones favorite movie was Barton Fink)
    "Attitudes are contagious... Is YOURS worth catching?"
  9.    #9  
    No, no no Narnia -- you're right & your friends are wrong.
    It's heresy to say, I know, but the sad truth is THE COHEN BROTHERS JUST NEVER ARRIVED.
    In fact, let me list their "breakthroug film":
    "Blood Simple"
    ...as one of the worst, too.
    In fact, just stick ALL of their films on it. They SUCK. They're immature, self-centered and self-indulgent.
    (But not in a witty way, like Woody Allen when he's "on." The Cohens have NEVER been on.)
    I doubt they'll ever have a hit.
    Sorry folks, calls 'em like I sees 'em.
    (Let the flames begin.)
    alright, ya torqed me off.

Originally posted by bblue

3) George of the Jungle
    Everything about this movie BLOWS worse than Clinton.
    While dopey, GotJ features Brendan Fraser, an actor with incredible range. Your reason is not reason enough and has no critical value. Try again.

4) Space Oddesy 2001
    Not bad, but uh... they stretched 10 minutes of plot to cover a few hours. (prepares for flames) If you're going to see it, make sure you have your remote control. Ruined an otherwise excellent movie.
    "2001: A Space Odyssey" (you could at least get the titles right) is a complicated visual feast which stretched the boundaries of film for its time. I've seen it five times at different points in my life and come away with different things each time.

6) Mouse Hunt
    Need I say more?
    Yes, you need say more. Mouse Hunt is a slapstick farce in the best traditions of silent film. I loved it.

13) In the Army now.
    Uh... when Pauly Shore got his hair cut off, that was the only even "partially" funny part. It was so stupid I should have demanded a refund as well as $100.00 for time lost!
    By prefacing your comments with an "uh" you make me think you've chosen these at random. While not an excellent movie, nor Shore's best, it's also not a typical comedy. Shore's character goes through a lot of growth after he and his friend are sent to war.
    addition: Of the movies he's starred in (which I've seen too many of) I enjoyed Encino Man, In the Army Now and Son in Law (which, BTW, is the movie I meant when I said "best"; he's very funny in it). His other films I found boorish and unentertaining.

15) Rugrats the Movie.
    Slept through this one too. At least my 6 year old cousin at the time was able to remember enough to say "it sucked."
    If you slept through it, how can you say anything about it? Just because you got bored doesn't equate "bad."

If we're going to have this thread can we at least be intelligent and critical and not just "oh, that sucked" or "I slept throught it"?

PS to narnia -- never saw Barton Fink. I see Steve Buscemi's in it so I may have to.

rephrased answer to 6; added comment to response 13
    Last edited by Yorick; 06/09/2001 at 12:37 AM.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Battlefield Earth.
    -Vincent
    Originally posted by bkbk
    The Cohens have NEVER been on. I doubt they'll ever have a hit. (Let the flames begin.)
    No flames, but I really liked Fargo with William H. Macy, Frances McDormand and Steve Buscemi. Directed by Joel Coen.
    "Attitudes are contagious... Is YOURS worth catching?"
    Originally posted by narnia_77
    No flames, but I really liked Fargo with William H. Macy, Frances McDormand and Steve Buscemi. Directed by Joel Coen.
    I second this.
    As an aside about subjectiveness, my father -- who's over 60 and isn't inclined towards strange movies -- actively loathes it.
    Originally posted by Yorick
    alright, ya torqed me off.

While dopey, GotJ features Brendan Fraser, an actor with incredible range. Your reason is not reason enough and has no critical value. Try again.
    Uh... the fact that the entire movie was stupid. I mean, it was downright stupid! The guy who played Georgie was stupid, the fact any lady would fall in love with him is stupid, the entire plot is unoriginal. but as far as i know of, stupidity cannot be classified. It's just stupid!

"2001: A Space Odyssey" (you could at least get the titles right) is a complicated visual feast which stretched the boundaries of film for its time. I've seen it five times at different points in my life and come away with different things each time.
    I could have spelled it right, too. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that the movie has too much filler. To the point where the suspense is lost, and drowsiness is induced. I didn't need to see the Astromen in the Astropod for 12 minutes!!!

Yes, you need say more. Mouse Hunt is a slapstick farce in the best traditions of silent film. I loved it.
    I sure as hell didn't. The plot is so old, and innocent animals/people get hurt. I wanted to see that damn thing get stomped on.

By prefacing your comments with an "uh" you make me think you've chosen these at random.
    It hints I had to think several times to find a way more tactful than saying "it was a peice of sh!t."

While not an excellent movie, nor Shore's best, it's also not a typical comedy.
    It's NOT a comedy. It's stupidity on film in my opinion.

Shore's character goes through a lot of growth after he and his friend are sent to war.
    addition: Of the movies he's starred in (which I've seen too many of) I enjoyed Encino Man, In the Army Now and Son in Law (which, BTW, is the movie I meant when I said "best"; he's very funny in it). His other films I found boorish and unentertaining.

If you slept through it, how can you say anything about it? Just because you got bored doesn't equate "bad."
    Because my 6 year old cousin said more. But "it sucked" was the immediate response. I was later filled in on the sappy plot of the movie. Even worse, he was a Rugrats fan big time. At least he liked the burgers and milkshakes we ordered at the movie!

If we're going to have this thread can we at least be intelligent and critical and not just "oh, that sucked" or "I slept throught it"?

PS to narnia -- never saw Barton Fink. I see Steve Buscemi's in it so I may have to.

rephrased answer to 6; added comment to response 13
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    On a more positive note, here are some movies I DO like ->>

1) The Matrix > This movie is almost perfect for a fiction movie. A creepy plot that sheds wisdom you may expect from Socrates. Even better, the effects pretty much blow everything else away. Even better better, they didn't throw in a mushy love plot for everything to revolve around to make it look like it had a point. It's about time!

4) Men in Black > The plot's the biggie here. Actually, I think the reason I like this movie so much is because of that cuddly-wuddly cat named "orion"

Most of my other favorites are based off of true stories.

2) Wall Street > For many reasons.

3) In the name of the father > This movie is downright incredible.

Ok... that's all I can think of.
    Oh yes....

bkbk, I'm sorry, but I didn't get your joke!
    My IQ level is dropping I guess

Oh yes, this thread is dyn-o-myte , and I'm voting it a "5!"
    Before I say anything else, I respectfully ask that you properly code your responses so I can properly quote them.
    George of the Jungle:
    Uh... the fact that the entire movie was stupid. I mean, it was downright stupid! The guy who played Georgie was stupid, the fact any lady would fall in love with him is stupid, the entire plot is unoriginal. but as far as i know of, stupidity cannot be classified. It's just stupid!
    I don't accept "stupid" as a reason a movie is bad. It's dismissive and unconstructive. You may as well be saying "bah."
    It also isn't aimed at adults; as a kids movie it's pretty decent, but as an adult movie, it's no "2001."
    1) George as a character is dimwitted but the actor isn't. I doubt it's very easy to believably play someone of a lower intelligence level. This statement is subjective.
    2) women do strange things sometimes. Besides, George is big and dumb, which some women really go for.
    3) Yes it's unoriginal; it's based on a 60's cartoon which was a parody of Tarzan. But, at least that was a constructive statement, thank you.

2001:

I could have spelled it right, too. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that the movie has too much filler. To the point where the suspense is lost, and drowsiness is induced. I didn't need to see the Astromen in the Astropod for 12 minutes!!!

Mouse Hunt:

I sure as hell didn't. The plot is so old, and innocent animals/people get hurt. I wanted to see that damn thing get stomped on.
    so, you wanted to see an innocent animal get hurt?
    not sure what your problem is here.
    I mean, look at it from the mouse's point of view. Those two guys were trying to kill him.
    I like silent film comedies, which Mouse Hunt is a reflection of, so I may just have a completely different viewpoint from yours.

Pauly Shore's "In the Army Now":

It's NOT a comedy. It's stupidity on film in my opinion.
    But tell us how you really feel.
    Seriously though, I'm just asking for more of a reason than "stupid."

Rugrats the Movie:

Because my 6 year old cousin said more. But "it sucked" was the immediate response. I was later filled in on the sappy plot of the movie. Even worse, he was a Rugrats fan big time. At least he liked the burgers and milkshakes we ordered at the movie!
    alright, that's acceptable to me.

man I'm getting crotchety. I knew I should have kept my mouth shut.
    Here's my list.

10) Pearl Harbor
    Historically Incorrect.
    Same problems as "Titanic."
    Crappy plot messes with a dramatic event!

I just saw this a few minutes ago, and was rather unimpressed. I've seen several worse movies, but I've seen several better too.
    I can see where they got the name from: the short scene in the middle with the planes and bombs and stuff (too bad they had to ruin that by focusing on the two losers, er, I mean, um, heros).
    They rest reminded me of that rediculous Barney sony. It was "love here and love there, isn't life so grand. Oh no, I'm mad at you. Now I love you again. Can't we all just get along?" Blah. Down right crap.
    The movie did get a bit of an emotional rise out of me. I can't watch American servicemen, especially when based on a true story, get killed and not be affected. Being an American, and being in the service; that's the kind of scene in any movie that comes closest to "touching" me. (The whole battle scene could have been a whole lot more factual and done considerably better.) The rest was just crap.

Another movie comes to mind with good WWII sceens but not worth buying. The Thin Red Line. While hosts of famous actors appeared in the movie, and it had some good fighting and explosions (my job is ammo; I love to see things blow up), I came away from it thinking of all the things I could have used that time for that would have been far more productive, like sleeping.

I think one of he worst movies I ever saw (other than Clueless, which I ended up watching against my will; twice. Long story) has got to be Volcano. Bad acting, bad story, bad lines, bad this and that; you name it, it was bad. I couldn't find any redeeming qualities in the whole movie. I thought it would be good, if for no other reason than it had Tommy Lee Jones. Nope. I'm still surprised that he ever took part in such a piece of garbage. Oh well.
    IYYAYAS

AMMO - Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country.
    Return of the Killer Tomatoes.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    I saw the worst movie ever made (I mean EVER) this morning on Mystery Science Theater 3000...but I don't remember the name of it...something like "Future Wars"

Some dinosaurs from the future and their master cyborg were tracking down an escaped human/slave from another planet, who had come to earth and fallen in love with an ex-hooker/junkie turned nun-apprentice.

Also, Herbie Goes Bananas is kinda bad.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast