View Poll Results: Are you worried about the features MS is building into XP?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes! I'm peeing my pants as we speak!

21 67.74%
  • Nah, no big deal

10 32.26%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    All this anti-microsoft talk is making me feel really rebellious I know this is offtopic, but what are some good replacements for Outlook Express? I could easily ditch IE. I would LOVE to get the dozen or so Microsoft extensions out of my G4's system folder. I was amazed at how much snappier my computer was when I removed those extensions once.
    Originally posted by Vertigo
    All this anti-microsoft talk is making me feel really rebellious I know this is offtopic, but what are some good replacements for Outlook Express? I could easily ditch IE. I would LOVE to get the dozen or so Microsoft extensions out of my G4's system folder. I was amazed at how much snappier my computer was when I removed those extensions once.
    I use InScribe.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Uhhhhh..... That's not a mac program. ?
    Uhhhhh..... That's not a mac program. ?
    oog...that's what I get for reading and posting before finishing my coffee. Matthew's working on a Linux version, though. Maybe that'll run on OSX when he's done?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    When I got OS X I used Apple's included Mail program. It's not perfect but gets the job done. I hope Palm makes its OSX Desktop sync with its Address Book.

As for OS 9, I hear Eudora is really good.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Originally posted by JHromadka
    Eudora is quite nice. I am very pleased with it.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Actually,

I used Claris eMailer right up until I couldn't use it anymore! (my demo ran out, and I could no longer buy it! )

Yeah, it was primitive, but it WORKED.

Now I use "Mail" , which is supposedly based on eMailer, and it is truly the best Mail app out there. It doesn't whine about other email apps on say, your Palm VII accessing your Mailbox. (like Outlook does!) It was a BREEZE to set up. I mean a serious breeze, even with my hectic email system that Outlook could not handle. It also gets along VERY WELL with MultiMail pro. I simply could not ask for more!

I tried Eudora, but the ads were too cumbersome, and it did a really good job of fussing up my Mailbox. I never got green mail to work, but I heard it's nicer than Power Mail & Eudora.

Oh yes, one MAJOR perk to using Mail is the "bounce" feature. I've been able to save all of my old email accounts who were facing deletion due to the high levels of SPAM!

By no means is "Mail" perfect, but it's better than everything else out there that I have tried!

-----

Oh yes, I heard rumor that Apple is going to make Darwin run on Intel systems! I'm not sure if that will ever mean much, but it sounds pretty cool! (even though Darwin doesn't have that smooth interface!)

And will MS simply GIVE UP? They've LOST the music war. Just like SMDI will be pretty much DOA. If it lives, we'll crack into it lickety split!
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Originally posted by JHromadka

When I got OS X I used Apple's included Mail program. It's not perfect but gets the job done. I hope Palm makes its OSX Desktop sync with its Address Book.

I also use Mail when I'm in OS X.

One feature I like about Outlook is mailing lists. It will filter out all incoming mail from a certain address, say staff@visorcentral.com, and put it in my VisorCentral folder under my inbox. Does Eurdora have this? Or any other mail app?

I also use Mail when I'm in OS X.

One feature I like about Outlook is mailing lists. It will filter out all incoming mail from a certain address, say staff@visorcentral.com, and put it in my VisorCentral folder under my inbox. Does Eurdora have this? Or any other mail app?
    I'll check when I get off work.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Netscape Messenger (which, BTW, I'm only using because it was there and I know how to use it, and haven't had the time and inclination to learn something better, so please don't flame me about it, I know it's rickety) has a message filtering system, and I believe Eudora does, though it's been a year or so since I've used it.
    cc:Mail used to, but I'm not current on that app.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    I agree with most you people said in this topic, there are also some other issues I would like to mention. Being a system administrator and a developer gives me the opportunity to take a peek "under the hood" of various OSs. First of all I think Microsoft's idea of merging a professional networking OS engine like NT's with a SOHO environment is down ludicrous. Those are two different worlds which simply do not mix. All other OSs respect this. I won't go into all security problems which come to my mind but want to point out another issue: any OS which utilizes a professional networking engine has to be, by default, extremely demanding on hardware. SOHO OS doesn't. We have installed the final beta release of WinXP on a PC in our company, just to test it. The hardware demands are staggering. This could be acceptable if you installed it on a multi-processor machine and plan to use it as a server, but for all other uses it's so much of an overkill we simply couldn't believe it. We had to shut down all the "visual enhancements" to make it operate similarly to Win2000. As far as I know people are not so thrilled to have to spend hundreds of dollars every know and then just to be able to do all those things they could do earlier too. As our client OS we are more than happy to use Windows 98 SE, which proved to be a reliable and stable solution (in terms of Microsoft that is, and provided you administer it on a guru level).
    All in all - none of us plans to upgrade in any foreseeable future.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234