View Poll Results: Are you worried about the features MS is building into XP?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes! I'm peeing my pants as we speak!

    21 67.74%
  • Nah, no big deal

    10 32.26%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 71
  1.    #41  
    Originally posted by slotmachine
    I am horrified as a consumer, and gleeful as a developer abour Bill's New Windows Order. I plan to 1) make an additional backup of my Win 2K and Office 2K CDs, because I will obviously be using those for a long time and
    But since XP, product activation, hailstorm, and .NET all lie in your future, doesn't it bother you that ultimately Windows may be a dead end for your needs? It has me staring at the ceiling at night. Is subscription computing for me? Do I really want Microsoft arbitrarily deciding what applications I use, and how I use them? Do I want my PC to become one big cash register for MSN services?
  2. #42  
    Explain to me why MS feels the need to add such traditionally consumer hostile features. I don't understand how they're going to get money by doing this.

    Aside: I'm plenty happy I jumped the MS bandwagon. It'll be interesting to see how my job is affected by Microsoft's gluttony. I can see small biz computer assembly places taking a hit if XP proves lack-luster (big boys, too, come to think of it).
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  3.    #43  
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    Explain to me why MS feels the need to add such traditionally consumer hostile features. I don't understand how they're going to get money by doing this.
    Why? Same reason a dog licks his genitals...because he can!!! Give Microsoft an inch, and they will take the whole yard stick.
  4. #44  
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    But since XP, product activation, hailstorm, and .NET all lie in your future, doesn't it bother you that ultimately Windows may be a dead end for your needs? It has me staring at the ceiling at night. Is subscription computing for me? Do I really want Microsoft arbitrarily deciding what applications I use, and how I use them? Do I want my PC to become one big cash register for MSN services?
    I know you weren't asking me, but it bothers me a lot. Americans like "to own stuff." That's why people prefer to own DVDs instead of renting them, and why people that use a software product at work will eventually buy it for home use.

    I don't like a list of "approved apps" to use. When I got my Mac, it opened up a new world of apps to try out. That was part of the excitement of Version Tracker (which we've talked about before).

    Hailstorm seems to be more about storage of personal info, and with MS' track record on privacy, stability, etc, I would have a very hard time with trusting my SSN, cc, and other data with them.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
  5. #45  
    Originally posted by foo fighter


    But since XP, product activation, hailstorm, and .NET all lie in your future, doesn't it bother you that ultimately Windows may be a dead end for your needs? It has me staring at the ceiling at night. Is subscription computing for me? Do I really want Microsoft arbitrarily deciding what applications I use, and how I use them? Do I want my PC to become one big cash register for MSN services?
    As a consumer, definitely. If all the features discussed here go into the final product, a lot of home users (including me) will start looking for alternatives. Mic is telling the home market "pay up or pack up". Linux anyone?

    On the other hand, my gut feeling is that business will not leave Windows, and the homegenous .NET environment makes my job easier.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
  6.    #46  
    Originally posted by slotmachine
    On the other hand, my gut feeling is that business will not leave Windows, and the homegenous .NET environment makes my job easier.
    True. Corporations are not going to dump Windows just to thumb their noses as Microsoft. But if MS does begin squeezing revenues out of enterprise licensees, the landscape could change.

    It's hard to say what impact .NET will have on developers or the Windows platform. But oddly enough, .NET could be the best thing to happen to Linux and Macintosh. By offering web based software and services, it won't matter what platform your using.
  7. #47  
    MS is also putting the squeeze on big business by changing the license so they have to upgrade the OS every 3 years. I think it would be some time before corporations ditched MS, but if Apple and the Linux distributors can start getting those big contracts, the winds could change.

    My big plan over the next year is to learn *nix and turn my Dell into a Linux server. I'm sure Houston has a job market for that kind of knowledge.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
  8.    #48  
    Yeah. I'm sure IT departments just love the idea that every 3 years they have to spend a huge amount of their budget on upgrading to the latest Windows/Office release. That's going to go over real well.

    My personal favorite pressure tactic was Microsoft offering prizes to people who rat out local PC shops that sell computers without an operating system. Who the hell thought this idea up? Turn in a PC shop..and get a free BarBque grill or a set of lawn chairs. Good god!
  9. #49  
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    My personal favorite pressure tactic was Microsoft offering prizes to people who rat out local PC shops that sell computers without an operating system. Who the hell thought this idea up? Turn in a PC shop..and get a free BarBque grill or a set of lawn chairs. Good god!
    No sh*t?!?!?!
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  10. #50  
    Yeah.

    What would be cool, is if Apple upped it's iTools service to "compete" with Hailstorm , for free.

    Hey, iDisk is a life saver, and a mac.com email rocks! I'd love to see them take it to the next level!

    ---

    But on another note, product activation will probably kill off most Windows users. Almost everyone I know of NEVER upgrades their OS. They simply buy a new computer every 4-5 years. That's how I think most people go, too.

    It'll be great for Mac & Linux though.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
  11. #51  
    Is Joe Consumer aware of this? I can't believe MS expects people to go for this.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  12.    #52  
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

    No sh*t?!?!?!
    No sh!t. That was the plan!

    To be fair, Microsoft did see the error of its ways and repealed this plan very recently. You can read about it by snooping through CNET or ZDNET's news archives.
  13. #53  
    Originally posted by foo fighter


    True. Corporations are not going to dump Windows just to thumb their noses as Microsoft. But if MS does begin squeezing revenues out of enterprise licensees, the landscape could change.
    Agreed. Mic's new technology, along with the forced upgrade coming this fall, is similar to killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Mentally, IT managers had Mic. on autopilot. Even though few may actually dump Mic. in this new environment, a seed has been planted in people's heads now. Mangers that never thought of non-Mic. options are now clicking around on Linux websites. First the click. Later the P.O.

    Although I still think a breakup would have been to severe, I hope some kind of strong regulatory action is taken against them. Put a guy in the office adjacent to Bill's with a G4 cube, an Edge, and the power to make his life a living hell whenever he tries these Medieval tactics.
    Last edited by slotmachine; 06/12/2001 at 04:54 AM.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
  14. #54  
    See www.grc.com for Steve Gibson's discussion on raw sockets avaialble in XP.

    From BRIAN LIVINGSTON: "Window Manager" from InfoWorld.com, Monday, June 11, 2001
    .......
    Windows XP will have a new capability
    called Raw Sockets, an old Internet spec that already
    exists in Windows 2000 and Unix machines. Raw Sockets
    can put out data packets with faked IP addresses. This
    was proved when Yahoo and other major sites were
    brought down by Unix zombies in highly publicized
    attacks in February 2000. But Unix servers usually
    have trained administrators, many of whom have taken
    steps to prevent a recurrence.
    ..........
    The danger, Gibson asserts, is that Windows XP will add
    the ability for any application to send packets
    bearing faked IP addresses. There's no perfect way for
    a Web site to defend itself against such a flood,
    because you can't distinguish the incoming hacker
    traffic from the ordinary customer traffic. Gibson is
    alarmed about XP's new capability, saying, "There's
    absolutely no valid reason for any machine on the
    Internet to be able to lie about its return address."
  15. #55  
    Originally posted by BudPritchard
    See www.grc.com for Steve Gibson's discussion on raw sockets avaialble in XP.

    General consensus in the security world is that Gibson's a kook. Raw socket support is available on all of the previous OSes mentioned as well with a simple library replacement. If somebody can trojan a 9x/NT machine, they can add this functionality at the same time.

    http://www.stake.com/security_news/arch.html?060501
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  16.    #56  
    Hey, it looks like there may yet be a chance the breakup will go forward after all!

    I was just watching TechTV covering a news blurb on the MS appeals trial. The story mentioned that the appeals court just recently updated its timeline for releasing of "opinion" or ruling. Still no date for a ruling, but apparently, a ruling will now take place after the closing bell of trading, and not on a Tuesday or a Friday. It seems like the court is trying to minimize the impact its ruling will have on the markets, which could indicate this will be a heavy decision (breakup).

    If I were Ballmer, I would start reaching for that bottle of Pepto!

    The games afoot!
    Last edited by foo fighter; 06/12/2001 at 10:42 AM.
  17. #57  
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    Hey, it looks like there may yet be a chance the breakup will go forward after all!

    I was just watching TechTV covering a news blurb on the MS appeals trial. The story mentioned that the appeals court just recently updated its timeline for releasing of "opinion" or ruling. Still no date for a ruling, but apparently, a ruling will now take place after the closing bell of trading, and not on a Tuesday or a Friday. It seems like the court is trying to minimize the impact its ruling will have on the markets, which could indicate this will be a heavy decision (breakup).

    If I were Ballmer, I would start reaching for that bottle of Pepto!

    The games afoot!

    Hmmmm... could Bill have taken the appeals court ruling for granted. I would have least held off on XP until the ruling. Serves them right if it happens. Although, a separate OS comapany would still hold an OS monopoly.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
  18. #58  
    Originally posted by slotmachine

    Hmmmm... could Bill have taken the appeals court ruling for granted. I would have least held off on XP until the ruling. Serves them right if it happens. Although, a separate OS comapany would still hold an OS monopoly.
    ... but wouldn't be in bed with the Apps side. I really like the fact that I can delete IE from my Mac with no negative effects. It would be nice to see the day when Windows components are no longer applications but actually apply to the OS. Being a former Netscape user, I never liked how IE forced itself into Windows and don't like how WMP forces itself into WinXP.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
  19. #59  
    Originally posted by bkbk
    I think XP will be a big boost to Linux.
    All this nonsense with XP , .Net and kin is why I am gradually trying to become less dependent on Windows and move towards Linux.. As I use *nix's a lot, Linux doesn't bother me, but unfortunately, Linux isn't there yet for the average Joe & Mary consumer.

    I wish OSX ran on intel hardware.. oh well..
    Last edited by EricG; 06/13/2001 at 01:06 AM.
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
  20. #60  
    Originally posted by Toby


    General consensus in the security world is that Gibson's a kook.
    Agreed, although I think he snapped a while ago..
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions