1.    #1  
    I have been using McAfee VirusScan for about 4 years on a yearly subscription. I surf a lot - and have never had a problem and my computer seems to be clear of any bots (I also use Spybot Search & Destroy to check). But, I also feel that VirusScan is somewhat of a resource hog. I have a few other computers in the house (and I am in my 60-day window for cancellation on the subscription) and I am thinking about other options for a 3-PC license. When I go to other sites (cNet for example), user feedback is ALL over the map on EVERY vendor. IMO, this is one software topic that no one can seem to agree on.

Thought I would ask here to see if anyone had any suggestions - or should I just stick with what I have? Thanks, bt
    I use Avast Free edition. No problems-used it on a win2k machine for 2 years. And now a vista machine for 6 months.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    AVG free version -- terrific, no issues
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I use none, because none of them work.
    Windows OneCare
    Has Anti-Virus, adware removal, tune up and backup features. (up to 3 pc's for about $50 annually)
    Also allows you to network PC/Laptops to print wirelessly. (this feature was just added- just showed up on my screen one day and now my wife and I print wirelessly through a laptop connected to a printer.)
    I know networking was available before, but for me it sounded too complicated)

Give it a go.
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 12/21/2007 at 02:47 PM.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I use Norton 360. Hated McAfee and its pop up window. Even though I use Norton, I know there is free stuff out there that is just as good. I just have been using Norton for so long that it is easier for me to stick with it.
    AVG Free. Had McAfee for a number of years and their pop-ups and email were annoying, so was the drag on system resources.
    Avast & ZoneAlarm.

Ben
    Here is a slightly different perspective.

I own a server management company and security is my life. I've used most of the biggies and been hacked while running just about everything but one.

Nod32

be sure to check it out. its lightweight, fast and effective.

Jon
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    F-Prot.

Because it's Icelandic, and I hadn't got any other Icelandic software!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  11.    #11  
    Thanks all - I have been looking at the "freebies" cuase they seem to be as strong as McAfee and in general have no complaints - well probably because they are free! Was thinking about OneCare too - but it is so new and had bad feedback earlier in the year. Probably will go freebie...
    Google free antivirus. PC mag did a write up of their top 10 antivirus prog. 7-10 were the freebies but they did say some where better than other. They were particulalry dissapointed with AVG. I never like the footer they inset into outgoing emails either.

-Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    I use a Mac
    Don't think that your days are not coming to an end soon. There has been a lot written lately about viruses targeting mac. I think there are 150 or so.

Admittedly there are far far more for windows users to worry about- but we also have far more options- far more software, and far more users.
  15.    #15  
    Well, I ended up nuking McAfee, got my subscription refund and I loaded Avast! Personal Edition. So far, so good and my PC certainly seems to run better now that McAfee is gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Well, I ended up nuking McAfee, got my subscription refund and I loaded Avast! Personal Edition. So far, so good and my PC certainly seems to run better now that McAfee is gone.
    For anyone worried about viruses, here's a comforting article to read:

Malware Evolving Too Fast for Antivirus Apps
    Erik Larkin, PC World
    Monday, December 31, 2007

If you think that the latest security suites afford complete protection against malware attacks, think again. Today's for-profit malware pushers use dedicated test labs and other increasingly professional techniques to improve their chances of infecting your computer. And the techniques they employ to outpace security software makers appear to be working...

Even just a 12-hour head start can translate into thousands of infected PCs, and malware authors have long tested their programs against antivirus applications to make sure they get that critical jump on the opposition. VirusTotal.com and similar Web sites, which allow security researchers and consumers to submit a questionable file and have it scanned by more than 30 different antivirus engines, have unfortunately made the testing easier for malware writers: Crooks can continue to tweak their new malware projects until VirusTotal or one of the other new multilanguage sites shows that the rogue application can slip past the majority of antivirus programs...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    AVG free version -- terrific, no issues
    Ditto
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Ditto #2