Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    And giving control of nuclear weapons to someone who believes in life after death is just plain dumb!
    This is the best line in this thread!!! (scarily true too!)

Surur
    And giving control of nuclear weapons to someone who believes in life after death is just plain dumb!
    Are you then against the US-funding and equipping to create nuclear-Israel?
    No. Because that way you can end up with Hitler in charge, or Sharia Law, and you can't then go back easily.

It's one of the deficiencies of democracy. (I think it's covered in Karl Popper's "The Open Society and Its Enemies".)
    I thought Hitler was an atheist (not to mention vegetarian ) Or do you mean pandering to the people does not always result in the best candidate?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    I thought Jews did not believe in life after death either (an endearing quality)

Surur
    Care to succinctly bulletlist these special religious exceptions?
    I wrote that at 1:00 am, and I saw a major omission in the quote you used. It should have read....."Basically my view is still the same.....for the most part (with self recognized exceptions) religious affiliation does not really matter to me." I corrected my OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I thought Jews did not believe in life after death either (an endearing quality)

Surur
    Maybe. Maybe not. But, if they hadn't, was Heaven and Hades suddenly created when Jesus was born?

http://jewishperspectives.com/thought.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    I wrote that at 1:00 am, and I saw a major omission in the quote you used. It should have read....."Basically my view is still the same.....for the most part (with self recognized exceptions) religious affiliation does not really matter to me." I corrected my OP.
    Actually, I took that into account when I asked the question. So, those special religious exceptions are ...?
    No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States
    I like this line of thinking. They should consider making that the law.
    Actually, I took that into account when I asked the question. So, those special religious exceptions are ...?
    What I stated when I quoted myself just below that statement you quoted.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 12/07/2007 at 02:34 PM.
    What I stated when I quoted myself just below that statement you quoted.
    What about an avowed atheist or agnostic?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    What about an avowed atheist or agnostic?
    Answer these first:
    • What are their political views on the freedom of religious expression?
    • How do they propose to handle Iran?
    • What scandals have they been involved in?
    • What is their plan for oil independence?
    • What is their political history, experience, and achievement?
    • How do they plan on handling Iraq?
    • Have they flipped on any issues / votes / laws and if so which ones and what made them change their minds?
    • What is their stance and goals for security at our borders?
    • Do they support keeping the current tax breaks or want to let them expire?
    • What is their plan for addressing the impending collapse of Soc Sec?
    • Do they support National or Privatized Health care?

After I know all of these I could tell you.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 12/07/2007 at 03:45 PM.
    Answer these first:
    • What are their political views on the freedom of religious expression?
    • How do they propose to handle Iran?
    • What scandals have they been involved in?
    • What is their plan for oil independence?
    • What is their political history, experience, and achievement?
    • How do they plan on handling Iraq?
    • Have they flipped on any issues / votes / laws and if so which ones and what made them change their minds?
    • What is their stance and goals for security at our borders?
    • Do they support keeping the current tax breaks or want to let them expire?
    • What is their plan for addressing the impending collapse of Soc Sec?
    • Do they support National or Privatized Health care?

After I know all of these I could tell you.
    Assume their positions on all of those are to your liking.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Then like I said in my OP, it wouldn't matter very much to me at all. It is their political views, history, experience, etc... that makes a presidential candidate not their religious affiliations.
    If they were Muslim, I would have to be honest and say, it would not be an immediate non-vote, but I would be asking a lot more questions. Many of which would be for my education and many for my piece of mind. What faction, what ties, etc... I would have to educate myself on his views. I guess what my main concern would be is the published statements of beliefs of some radical Muslims factions of how Gov, Democracy, and God should be arranged and ran, in other words bringing Democracy and their religion at odds with each other.
    Your prior post only underscores nonreligion-related concerns about Islam, unless you'd care to clarify, as the vague reference you supply would be self-evident if any Presidential candidate held those views, would they not?

"What faction"? Therefore, as a natural extension of your logic, you may support a Methodist, but not a Episcopalian, purely for the religious 'faction'?

"What ties"? Are they card-carrying members of religious interest groups such as the Southern Baptist Convention or Christian Coalition?

Or, are you looking for nonreligion-based reasons for a refusal to support the only religion you referenced as having reservation?
    I clearly handled my opinions on Christians and Muslim separately and honestly. Many of the concerns are religious base as claimed by the radical Islamic groups that make them. Plus I have consistently stated that non religious views are generally more important anyways.

In other Terrorist threads we have discussed and sourced many of the published reasons radical Islamic groups oppose a democratic gov based on religious theology.....basically that God has the sole word on the rule of man. And that only only a Muslim leader can speak for God. So he must be the final word leader. And specifically states that democracy is an evil because we are then obeying the will of man and not God.

It was very clear in my statement that the factions and ties were associated with radical Islamic groups that are terrorists or support terrorists justified by religious claims.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 12/07/2007 at 05:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Who isn't?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Will be able to go back to before "faith-based initiatives?" We certainly cannot return to the relatively stable Iraq of Saddam Hussein. Is it better to have people killed by their government than by their neighbors?

Do you expect a smooth transition to Democracy in post Castro Cuba?
    Read what I wrote, not what you think I did please.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    I clearly handled my opinions on Christians and Muslim separately and honestly. Many of the concerns are religious base as claimed by the radical Islamic groups that make them. Plus I have consistently stated that non religious views are generally more important anyways.

In other Terrorist threads we have discussed and sourced many of the published reasons radical Islamic groups oppose a democratic gov based on religious theology.....basically that God has the sole word on the rule of man. And that only only a Muslim leader can speak for God. So he must be the final word leader. And specifically states that democracy is an evil because we are then obeying the will of man and not God.

It was very clear in my statement that the factions and ties were associated with radical Islamic groups that are terrorists or support terrorists justified by religious claims.
    Now just think what the Moslems think of the Christians, and so the world goes round and round...

Surur
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I thought Hitler was an atheist (not to mention vegetarian ) Or do you mean pandering to the people does not always result in the best candidate?
    Neither. I meant electing someone (regardless of their religious beliefs) who then ignores democracy, or changes the rules to negate democracy.

Anyway, Hitler was a loony, first and foremost.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast