Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I was talking to a friend about this a minute ago and we both don't see the technical reasoning for this not being possible.

a USB or Firewire, probably firewire 400 considering its better for constant connections... as an additional RAM for a PC or Mac.

I know Vista has the "readyboost" feature, but why isn't this possible already?

thanks for your input
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    I was talking to a friend about this a minute ago and we both don't see the technical reasoning for this not being possible.

a USB or Firewire, probably firewire 400 considering its better for constant connections... as an additional RAM for a PC or Mac.

I know Vista has the "readyboost" feature, but why isn't this possible already?

thanks for your input
    in Vista (which I don't use) usb flash drives can be used for "ready boast"

I don't believe that's true in re: to Firewire

Firewire has become almost entirely a videocentric connection -- and its on an eventual downward slope toward obsolencence and then abandonment
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    yeah

but the real question is... why can't this be done with USB as a ram expansion?
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    yeah

but the real question is... why can't this be done with USB as a ram expansion?
    I haven't specifically researched this, nor am I an expert, but internal memory can be pretty demanding in its speed and timing -- and quite different in those terms from usb storage memory.

If you've ever bought memory for your PC you have a variety of considerations as to which type of memory to buy. You need to know something about the different timings and grades of memory, and sometimes even how memory interacts with the cpu, with the internal communication bus -- and even if its a dual core cpu can be an issue.

I recently learned for instance, that sometimes on some motherboards PC4200 533Mhz memory can perform faster than PC533 667mhz memory -- even though the 667Mhz memory is technically faster.

This is because:

"The Core 2 has a front side bus (FSB) speed of 266Mhz x 4 (Quadruple) “1066Mhz”, the ram is running at 266Mhz x2 (Dual Channel) x2 (DDR) = “1066Mhz”, so with PC4200 memory and FSB are running synchronized. When you use PC5300 you are no longer running synchronous with the FSB and a memory divider of x1.25 (5/4) has to be used...

By running the memory synchronous to the FSB you have the least amount of latency and thus performance is at its best..."

Using USB flash to add to your total memory agregate would seem to be inapropriate to the demands of the application.

Coincidental to your raising this issue I have been in a discussion on another forum in which I participate, on the relative merits of a certain type of storage memory in regard to very high end video production (mostly as an observer).

Sony announced a new camera last week that I was lucky to spend some time with at a trade show. This camera is using a non proprietary storage format, Compact Flash -- which has never been previously used for video recording in professional cameras.

This is an exciting development for many of us -- in part because it reflects Sony recognizing that it must move away from stubornly offering only proprietary storage formats, and also simply because they've successfully mastered using CF (a somewhat old but commercially popular format) to handle the very great memory speed requirements of this type of application.
    Last edited by BARYE; 11/22/2007 at 12:05 PM.
    The short answer is this (mem expansion through USB) because the interface is too slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    The short answer is this (mem expansion through USB) because the interface is too slow.
    yup.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    thats why I thought FW400 could be a good idea.

My mac mini has integrated graphics and the reason I brought this up is video encoding and rendering... final cut, motion, etc. I came across the Elgato turb.264 however and its only $99. I think I may grab one next month, counting I already bought a gadget this month... 500GB External Lacie HD.

So, I thought id throw that out there if anyone else was interested.
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    usb, firewire 400/800, SATA, etc. are all too slow for RAM.