Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Yeah, there aren't very many varieties that do well around here.

heh. It's been on the web since 1995. I posted it in r.c.b. and it wound up all over the place, including The Cat's Meow 3. I did a search last night and was a bit surprised at how many hits it had. This is the original extract recipe. I've been meaning to update it for a long time to my current setup, but I just make the conversions mentally. The extract to all grain conversions are easy enough. The biggest change from the original that isn't straightforward is that I changed the coffee addition to a post boil steep in a fine-meshed nylon hop bag while the wort is cooling. The original recipe was a tad overpowering when young due to the tannins extracted from the short boil.

Wake Up And Go To Sleep Stout

Ingredients:
    4 # Dark Malt Extract
    3 # Light Malt Extract
    1/8 # Roasted Barley
    1/8 # Black Patent Malt
    1/4 # Chocolate Malt
    1 # Crystal Malt (90 lov)
    1 1/2 oz Northern Brewer Hops (Boiling)
    1/2 oz Willamette Hops (Finishing)
    2 1/2 cups Chocolate Cappucino (espresso ground)
    1 pkg Wyeast Irish Ale yeast

Procedure:
    Steep roasted barley, black patent, chocolate, and crystal malts in 1 1/2 gallons of water while bringing to a boil. Remove grains before boil. Add dark and light extracts and boiling hops and boil for 60 minutes. Add coffee at the last 5-7 minutes of the boil. Add finishing hops at the last 2 minutes of the boil before racking to primary fermenter. Pitch yeast when cooled below 90 degrees F.
    Primary Fermentation: 5 days
    Secondary Fermentation: 10-14 days
    Add 3/4 cup corn sugar at bottling
    thanks!
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    'Superior' was only used in reference to the Milk Stout, as Extra Stout is my personal gold standard. However, due to mileage and the need for healthier maintenance, I've turned my interests toward the dark bean as of several years ago. Not roasting (yet), but studying.
    You should definitely try the Mackeson then. It's a Milk Stout as well, and it blows both of the current Guinness US offerings away (Extra Stout isn't even what it used to be prior to the Diageo merger).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12