1.    #1  
    I just managed to get one at the local Toys-r-Us today. I got the last one after lining up 1 hr before the store opened.

Now I am looking for good games for my 10 yr old. He likes the typical Nintendo fare (he has a DS and a GameCube) like Pokemon, Mario, Sonic Hedgehog, and also Madden 2007 (on Gamecube).

Are there any accessories that I should also buy to be able to play sport-type games with him?

Thanks.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    He will love Rayman Raving Rabbits. Its a collection of relatively easy mini-games, with a lot of creative use of the Wii remote. You will need the nuchuck also though.

Surur
  3.    #3  
    Thanks guys. Games that use the remote are the top priority, I suppose.

Doesn't the Wii come with one remote and one nunchuck in the box?

Super Mario Galaxy is on the top of many reviews.

What about The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess? Is that suitable for a 10-11 year old?

I read up on Madden 08 on Gamespot, but it did not appear that they use the remote extensively.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Zelda is very very boring.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Thanks guys. Games that use the remote are the top priority, I suppose.

Doesn't the Wii come with one remote and one nunchuck in the box?

Super Mario Galaxy is on the top of many reviews.

What about The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess? Is that suitable for a 10-11 year old?

I read up on Madden 08 on Gamespot, but it did not appear that they use the remote extensively.
    It comes with one remote and one nunchuck.
    Wii sports comes with it.
    My 3 yr old loves cars and also super mario party.
    I am addicted to the wii.
    I got some fishing game that is excellent. It uses both remotes for casting and reeling, etc.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    He will love Rayman Raving Rabbits. Its a collection of relatively easy mini-games, with a lot of creative use of the Wii remote. You will need the nuchuck also though.
    Have you tried Rayman Raving Rabbits or Rayman Raving Rabbits 2?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    how about Pokemon Battle Revolution?

(LOL shhh my wife is semi-obsessed with this game)
    Have you tried Rayman Raving Rabbits or Rayman Raving Rabbits 2?
    I didn't even know it was out yet! Now I know what to get for Christmas

Surur
    Surur,

Zelda is boring but RRR/2 is what to get for christmas? ??

I think I finished RRR 1 in 2 nights and v2 is an on-rails shooter, very different from the original.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Zack & Wiki is supposed to be pretty good and makes clever use of the remote.

IMO, however, the best game I've played on the Wii is Mario & Sonic at the Olympics. My wife loves it as does my 2.5-yr old, so there's a lot of family gaming time. It makes better use of the Wimote than arguably any game out there, and will give you a workout and leave you sore in the process. Try to rent before you buy, since it's typically all love or hate on this title.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Surur,

Zelda is boring but RRR/2 is what to get for christmas? ??

I think I finished RRR 1 in 2 nights and v2 is an on-rails shooter, very different from the original.
    When I bought my Wii last December I bought Zelda because everyone said it was so great. After about 2 hours of playing I never got past the stupid first village where you had to buy something from the shop keeper, after rescuing the cat etc. The game is slow, finicky and requires constant repetition to do things *just right*.

I dont know about RR 2, but I loved Raving Rabbits 1, especially the shooting part, but also many other pieces which tested you Wiimote skills. My then 9 year old daughter loved it too, especially the disco part (its her console in the end).

If RR 2 is a shooter, it may be more up my alley, but will obviously not suit her - I would need to read the reviews.

Surur
  12.    #12  
    Great ideas, guys.

Looks like I have the following in my plan:

Wii Play (gets me an extra remote)
    Nunchuck (now I can play along with my son!)
    Mario Party 8
    Mario Super Galaxy
    Raymans Raving Rabbids
    Madden 08 (I have to .. He loves 07 on GameCube)
    Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
    Zack & Wiki
    Pokemon Battle Revolution (He was big on Pokemon on the DS but has cooled off for now)
    Mario and Sonic at the Olympics

I'll probably buy the first 2-3 items before Xmas and hunt for bargains afterwards.

Amazingly, the prices are the same at local Walmart, Best Buy, etc and mail order. I would have thought that mail-order id perfect for discounted video games (like all small hardware). But Nooooooo.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Don't wait TOO long- ToysRUs has a buy 2 get 1 free Wii game sale ending !!TODAY!! Don't bother going to a TRU B&M, the shelves are probably empty, but you can order online.
  14.    #14  
    None of the games I want are available online
    Waaaaah.

Now I'll have to run to the stores .. and I'm babysitting him all day!!!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    ...Elebits (you get to trash everything ) and StarWars - The Complete Saga. The "experts" are 12yo and 8yo boys. The Wii contoller implementation is pretty good in these two games.

Happy shopping!
    Handspring Treo 600 R.I.P. ...
    Insurance replacement Sprint Treo 755P ...
    16GB iPhone 3G
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Don't wait TOO long- ToysRUs has a buy 2 get 1 free Wii game sale ending !!TODAY!! Don't bother going to a TRU B&M, the shelves are probably empty, but you can order online.
    What a waste of time that was. The store shelves for Wii games were EMPTY. No rainchecks. And the games are "Not Available" online.

What a joke. If the warehouses are empty 2 days before Black Friday, then Toys-R-Us is in for a lot of pain this shopping season. Somehow, I suspect, they'll fill the shelves up tomorrow morning when the "sale" ends.

I can't believe people (like me) are so easily manipulated ....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    As an adult I love my Wii. That is also a no brainer claim for my 6 yr old son as well. Here are the Wii games that I have arranged Santa to deliver this year:
    • Star Wars The Complete Saga. If you like Star Wars, this is a must have. It is funny and fun.
    • Mario Galaxy. I have always been a Mario fan since the original NES Mario Bros came out around 1985.
    • Metroid Prime Corruption. FPS. This one is for me and probably not recommended for a 10 yr old. I haven't played it yet, but if you like FPS this is suppose to be good.

Other highly recommend games that we have:

• Mario Party 8
    • Raving Rabbits (I haven't played RR2)
    • Avatar: The Last Airbender -- The Burning Earth. If he is an Avatar fan, then he will love this game. It does offer quite a bit of humor as well.
    • Call of Duty 3 (FPS...not recommended for a 10 yr old, but I loved it)
    • Wii Play (very fun, but I felt they short changed many of the levels it by leaving many of the levels very shallow....i.e. you can only go up to 100 in Ping Pong, only a few levels in Duck Hunt, etc..)
    • Elebits (it is always fun to trash your house with no consequences. One of the first games to make good use of the controller)
    • WarioWare is pretty fun (and funny to watch others play), but can be beaten in a rather short period of time. My 6 yr old still loves it and plays it all the time.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 11/29/2007 at 03:41 PM.
    my husband loves playing rayman raving rabbids on our friends
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    When I bought my Wii last December I bought Zelda because everyone said it was so great. After about 2 hours of playing I never got past the stupid first village where you had to buy something from the shop keeper, after rescuing the cat etc. The game is slow, finicky and requires constant repetition to do things *just right*.
    Surur
    I have played nearly all of the Zelda games. I thought Twilight was really good. Heck we would play it as a family nearly every night on our 60 inch plasma TV. I don't think you gave it a fair chance. Zelda is an adventure game with a revealing plot that is laid out much like a movie, IMHO (great music too BTW). What I like about Zelda is that you can streamline your game just to get the end as fast as possible or you can take on as many side challenges as possible easily add an additional 40 hours of game play. I did find the part of trying to guard the wagon through Hyrule field frustrating, but other than that the game was a good level of challenge. We found the game to be very dead on accurate with shooting and responding to the Wii controller movements, generally speaking with some specific exceptions. With so many areas to explore and challenges to take on beyond the main plot the game fully captivated the attention of myself, my wife, and our 6 yr old from the start.

If anyone is remotely a Zelda fan, then I would strongly recommend this game.

I recognize that not everyone is an adventure style gamer. It does not offer the constant action of a FPS or the continual pressure of a sports or racing game. It does take exploring and often time the mental creativity of a detective to work many of the puzzles out. It took took us about 2-3 hours or so to get past the first village, but we did a LOT of extra exploring and took on all the side challenges we found and took time to collected a lot of extra stuff (like head banging every tree in sight to collect extra rupees). If you find it slow, I recommend getting a hint book. That way you won't get bored if you can't figure a part out fast enough.
    I'll probably buy the first 2-3 items before Xmas and hunt for bargains afterwards.

Amazingly, the prices are the same at local Walmart, Best Buy, etc and mail order. I would have thought that mail-order id perfect for discounted video games (like all small hardware). But Nooooooo.
    Yup it is amazing how many Wii games you can get now for around $20 at retail.

I have also bought a vast majority of my Wii games with sniping on eBay. I just use HammerSnipe eBay Sniper to get brand new Wii games selling for $50 in the store for as little at $12 bucks with shipping. If there is a game I want I select as many auctions as possible in one group and set an extremely low highest sniping bid. If one wins, it cancels the rest so I only buy one. I may take an extra week or two and I may lose 35 auctions to get that one great deal, but it is well worth it with saving $25-35 or more a pop.