Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Does anyone know who re-mixed the song "Magic Carpet Ride"
    Fatboy Slim, I believe.

I seem to have a new favorite band weekly.

Recent bands include:

Beta Band,
    Avalanches,
    Neutral Milk Hotel
    and I've been re-discovering David Byrne after seeing him perform a few weeks ago.

If I HAD to pick a favorite song, it'd be any song with the lyrings "Na na na na na na na" or any song with a horn section. You CAN'T find a bad song that has na na na lyrics or a horn section
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Someone just told me it was "Crystal Method" who re-mixed Magic Carpet Ride !??
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Originally posted by miradu2000
    ANYTHING done by NSYNC. BSB(before 2000)
    Anybody ever noticed you never see those two "bands" in the same place at the same time?

Hmmmm ... .

Isn't a classical symphony stretching the idea of "song" just a bit?
    Originally posted by vdxboy
    SONGS?! You call those songs? miradu2000, how old are you really?
    I suspect that Miradu2000 (about 14 years old) is more interested in what Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears are wearing that what they are singing.
    Originally posted by jazzlover
    Isn't a classical symphony stretching the idea of "song" just a bit?
    Absolutely not. 90% of the crap they play on radio stretches the idea of "song" more than Beethoven ever did.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    I suspect that Miradu2000 (about 14 years old) is more interested in what Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears are wearing that what they are singing.
    Aren't we all?
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

Absolutely not. 90% of the crap they play on radio stretches the idea of "song" more than Beethoven ever did.
    HEAR! HEAR!

Well said ****-richardson!! A lot of the "alternative" stuff that is coming out now is just a rehash of the folk rock (ugh, I hate saying that, it always leaves a bad taste in my mouth) of the late-sixties, early-seventies. Unfortunately, the money-machine record companies are (trying to) force such "bands" and acts as InSink, noizetomen, Britney ("what the f__k! are they playing") Spears and Cristina (ain't my belly button just the cutest thing?) Aguliara down our throats. This is unfortunate, because some really fantastic bands and musicians never get a shot at showing the public what they are missing.
    What the Heck! It's what I want!
    For many reasons, some good, some bad, here are some of my favorites:

Summer Highland Falls-Billy Joel
    Rhinestone Cowboy-Glenn Campbell
    *****-Meredith Brooks
    Brick House-Commodores
    Blister in the Sun-Violent Femmes
    Paint a Vulgar Picture-The Smiths
    The Carpenters (Anything--what a beautiful alto voice she had!)
    Fun & Games-The Connells
    A Kiss to Build a Dream On-Louis Armstrong
    My Baby Just Cares for Me-Nina Simone
    Late Night Grand Hotel-Nanci Griffith
    Verdi Cries-10,000 Maniacs
    Livin On the Fault Line (whole Album)-The Doobie Bros.
    Your Smilin' Face-James Taylor (it's a sun-roof open, pretty South Carolina spring day song!)Also, Shed a Little Light
    Danny's Song-Anne Murray
    Life's a Dance-John Michael Montgomery
    A Mighty Fortress-Martin Luther
    Come On Eileen-Dexy's Midnight Runners
    Don't Go Back to Rockville- R.E.M.
    Jack & Dianne-John Cougar (before he re-added Mellancamp)
    Uncle John's Band-The Dead
    I Fall to Pieces-Patsy Cline
    Build Me Up Buttercup-Foundations
    Band of Gold-Freda Payne
    Optimistic Thought-Blues Traveler
    You Sexy Thing-Hot Chocolate

P.S. Bret Snyder--excellent! The Metro by Berlin!! Great call! (And so superior to that "Take My Breath Away" crap they did for Top Gun!
    Last edited by K. Cannon; 06/04/2001 at 01:54 PM.
    Originally posted by yardie

Hmm... never thought of that before.
    Originally posted by icevisor[mastEr]

Hmm... never thought of that before.
    This is really weird. Remember how I had to get a new account, vdxboy, because I forgot the password for this one? Well I posted something on this songs thing and I was autologged in to icevisor[mastEr]. I don't even know the password! Why aren't I vdxboy?
    This is extremely weird now. I switched browsers from MSN to IE. I'm now vdxboy again. Odd.
    Originally posted by vdxboy
    This is extremely weird now. I switched browsers from MSN to IE. I'm now vdxboy again. Odd.
    Must be a cookies issue.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    My contribution, numbered but not ranked; these are the songs that if they come on the radio just when I get home, I have to sit in the car and listen to the whole thing --

1. In Spite of Ourselves, John Prine with Iris DeMent
    2. The Torture Never Stops, Frank Zappa
    3. Musta Got Lost, J. Geils Band (the live version, with the long intro)
    4. Country Death Song, Violent Femmes
    5. I Will Wait, Ed's Redeeming Qualities
    6. U2's "One" as performed by Johnny Cash
    7. Creep, Radiohead
    8. Golden Years, David Bowie
    9. I Wanna Be Sedated, The Ramones
    10. Choo Choo Ch'Boogie, Louis Jordon
    11. Birdhouse in Your Soul, They Might Be Giants
    (the summer this was all over the radio I kept singing along to it like Disney's Goofy, it was a lot of fun)
    12. And Your Bird Can Sing, The Beatles
    13. Nothingness, Living Colour (so, it's never on the radio, but anyway)
    14. Oh Carolina, Shaggy
    15. Mr. Mastodon Farm, Cake

I like punk (any of it), country-western (not modern country crud, which is like 70's country rock, but true honky-tonk stuff, like Hank Williams and BR5-49), 60's British Invasion, recent "geek rock," 40's jazz, doo-wop, reggae, so-called "alternative," folk, and anything with a sense of humor.

Every coupla months I have a new "most favorite song"; currently is "Hash Pipe" by Weezer.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by Yorick

Every coupla months I have a new "most favorite song"; currently is "Hash Pipe" by Weezer.
    Is the new Weezer album good? I loved the one with The Sweater Song...
    Originally posted by jazzlover

Anybody ever noticed you never see those two "bands" in the same place at the same time?

LOL - I didn't even recognize what BSB stood for until I read this post, then I knew instantly!
    Jeff
    Everlong, by the Foo Fighters. Period.

They played this over the sound system at the stadium at just the right the moment - in the fourth quarter when Baltimore knew it was going back to the postseason after more than 20 years of football drought.

Growing up as a colts fan, and then losing them, and then being able to finally become a part of it all again, it's hard to put into words.

"if anything could ever feel this real forever..."

Plus, it is great to annhilate the Steelers all over again after so long
    My tastes vary drastically:

Sarah McLaughlin
    Tori Amos
    Metallica
    Outkast
    Enya
    Eminem
    Bruce Hornsby
    David Gray
    Everclear
    Lenny Kravitz
    Melissa Etheridge
    U2
    Violent Femmes

there's more but...can't think of 'em all right now. :shortcut:
    www.studio1809.com
    P.S. I feel at home with geeks like you.
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    Is the new Weezer album good? I loved the one with The Sweater Song...
    I just got it Friday (along with four other CDs), haven't had much chance to listen to it. It's at least as good as their first album, thankfully.

They were on Saturday Night Live a couple weeks back and played "Hash Pipe" and "Island in the Sun" (Which is somewhat similar to "Holiday" from the first record). Actually like "Island" best but it's not a single yet!

Watch Conan O'Brien tonight (Tues 6/5); they're supposed to be on.

(later)
    I forgot to mention that you can hear song samples over at CDNow.com, probably other on-line record stores too.
    Last edited by Yorick; 06/05/2001 at 03:12 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12