Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am getting ready to move into a new house and I am going to need a new tv. Is it really worth camping out in line for a Black Friday deal at Best Buy or Circuit City? How much do you think you really save by camping out?
    I would say no but I hate crowds... ;-)
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    If you're adventurous, do it. It's a story you'll tell for a long time. In my experience the BestBuy/CircuitCity crowds are big. I'd check the BlackFriday websites to see if there's another deal somewhere. Walmart is advertising a preorder with free shipping to the store. Also there are usually some great deals online on Thanksgiving. Good luck.
    Last year I did it and a guy in Carhartt overalls in front of us $hit his pants in line to keep his choice position in line to get a 52" HD TV for $600.00 and my wife and I were ill basking in the ambience. We got some goodies but we didn't get the prize. How can you compete with people who will go to those extreme measures when you will not.
    at&t iPhone3G
  5.    #5  
    Holy crap (no pun intended). Thats a bit extreme. But a great deal! I hate crowds but I can talk my wife into buying the tv if i get a great deal.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Not gonna find me in the lines...no way. I am willing to pay regular price for a TV to avoid the mob scenes at the stores on a Black Friday. It's sad seeing what people do to each other just to buy a DVD player for $50 at Wal-Mart.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstudboy1 View Post
    I am getting ready to move into a new house and I am going to need a new tv. Is it really worth camping out in line for a Black Friday deal at Best Buy or Circuit City? How much do you think you really save by camping out?
    Wait till after Christmas. The best TV sales are in between Christmas and Superbowl.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

8.    #8  
    Any reason why you say that?
    Quote Originally Posted by dstudboy1 View Post
    Any reason why you say that?
    I watch prices. There was also a very good article I read last year (don't have a source) that covered this very well. The business got so cutthroat, some were selling a couple bucks over cost.

I also have connections at various retailers / wholesalers / distribution warehouses. For example, I have in front of me a 4 page list of Sony equipment with a 1 day sale this saturday with "employee pricing". I'm probably going to pick up this Sony receiver: http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...tag=prod.txt.1
    for $739.99. Lowest price I can find on the net is $1200, and that's on Ebay.

Long story short, I do my homework when buying new toys. Wait till after Christmas if you wanna save a few bucks.
    Last edited by ScaryHumor; 11/15/2007 at 08:32 PM.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Black friday is for the birds.

and the best tv deals are after christmas.
    I agree...after Christmas is the time the dealing starts.
    at&t iPhone3G
    The only time in my life I have ever stood in line outside of a store was when the Wii came out so I could give it to my son for Christmas last year. I was glad I did as there were sold out from day one to six months after christmas. Heck I even tried to buy a 3rd one in July this year and it took me calling over 10 stores and driving 70 miles to get one. On release day, they were going to start selling them at midnight so I got there at 6 pm. I was 9th in line and they had 65 of them and allowed only one per paying customer. So I was in bed by 12:35 am, got back up at 4:00 am and went to stand in line at Best Buy that was going to open at 8:00 am. I was something like 32nd in line for 45 Wiis they had. So by 8:30 am I had two Wiis. I eBayed the first one with a 3 day auction. I paided $250 for it and it sold for $600, so I got the Wii we kept for free.......so if you plan it right you can stand in line for a little bit and get a good return. This one present came from Dad, and not from Santa so I could tell my son what I did to get it for him.

But to answer your question directly.....it is usually not worth it if you are going after a specific item. Chances are they are a limited stock and unless you are in the very front of the line, the odds are they will be sold out even before you are able to get into the store.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 11/16/2007 at 02:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    ... they were going to start selling them at midnight so I got there at 6 pm. I was 9th in line and they had 65 of them and allowed only one per paying customer. So I was in bed by 12:35 am, got back up at 4:00 am and went to stand in line at Best Buy that was going to open at 8:00 am. I was something like 32nd in line for 45 Wiis they had. So by 8:30 am I had two Wiis. I eBayed the first one with a 3 day auction. I paided $250 for it and it sold for $600, so I got the Wii we kept for free...
    well played Hobbes --- (and I still can't find a wii ...)

BTW, remember when folks tried to do the same thing with the Playstation ?? Some folks sold them at a loss

Some got burned on iPhone too ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    I also have connections at various retailers / wholesalers / distribution warehouses. ...
    Scary is being modest about all that ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    I also have connections at various retailers / wholesalers / distribution warehouses. For example, I have in front of me a 4 page list of Sony equipment with a 1 day sale this saturday with "employee pricing". I'm probably going to pick up this Sony receiver: http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...tag=prod.txt.1
    for $739.99. Lowest price I can find on the net is $1200, and that's on Ebay.
    Wow. That is good. Is this at a national chain? Is that sale open to the public?

Aloke
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for your feedback...I guess standing in line isnt necessary after all!!!
    I have to ask one thing. Are you all sure the stores are going to be packed with shoppers and that there won't be deals to be had BEFORE Christmas? It seems stores are pessimistic about sales this year and may offer incentives(like deeper price cuts).

I would say don't go anywhere on Black Friday, it may be a zoo. But if they have too much inventory before Christmas, wait for price cuts. They'll have to make them in order to move merchandise.

However, it IS often true that the day AFTER Christmas, you can get even more bargains, since they really do have to dump left over merchandise.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'd have to agree with the above advice regarding the "big ticket" items such as tv's, but on the other hand if you look through the ads real good you can find some great deals on smaller items. Last year I picked up a couple portable dvd players for dirt cheap at wal-mart. Gave to my 5 and 3 year old sons for christmas, they didn't need anything fancy. When I went, I knew what I wanted to get, the store personel were handing out maps before the store opened, and I was in and out in 25 minutes while everyone was beating each other over the 25" flat screen tvs. Also picked up some real inexpensive sd cards, which made great gifts for people I knew who used sd for their digi cams. So all that to say, there can be some good deals out there, just stay away from the crazy people
    Vinnie
    Thank goodness Christmas and gift-giving is not a big thing in my family. We pick up bargains as they appear, often in January.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I am thinking of getting ready to put my Carhartts on.
    at&t iPhone3G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast