1.    #1  
    Apparently Microsoft quietly snuck two new variations of the "Whistler" theme in the latest build of Windows XP (build 2481).

Here is the first one:

http://www.neowin.f2s.com/xp/2481_sc...mestead_xp.jpg
    I have a preview copy and love the new OS. Depending on what Microsoft does with Product Activation will determine weather I will buy it or not. So far in about a month it has never frozen which is very nice. We previewers should get RC1 toward the end of the month and I really want to see what they have changed since only real beta testers get the interum builds.

--David
  3.    #4  
    Originally posted by recordond
    I have a preview copy and love the new OS.
    I also have the beta copy as well (beta 2). Looking forward to RC1. So far, aside from the rock solid reliability...zero crashes!, I haven't been wowed by XP. It's a great OS, but I just don't find it all too exciting. However, my biggest complaint has been the new user interface. It's gaudy, cheap, and folksy. If Microsoft will ship some truly slick looking, elegant "Visual Style" with the OS, I might change my tune.
    Originally posted by recordond
    I have a preview copy and love the new OS. Depending on what Microsoft does with Product Activation will determine weather I will buy it or not. So far in about a month it has never frozen which is very nice. We previewers should get RC1 toward the end of the month and I really want to see what they have changed since only real beta testers get the interum builds.

--David
    Product activation is here to stay.

What has change since your preview copy? I can't tell you.

:-)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Product Activation is fine with me. It is only if they use it and their .NET strategy to turn it into subsription software. If they do that then I won't buy it. I also hate their new start menu I just use the old one since the new one is too cutsy and does not benifit me.

Felipe, it sounds like you are a "real" beta tester if so how did you become one because I am really interested in testing stuff.

--David
    About testing additional Microsoft products
    To apply for testing of another Microsoft product, send e-mail to betareq@microsoft.com. Include the following information in your e-mail request:

E-mail subject header: Product interested in beta testing (if more than one, please submit separate e-mail requests*)

Name (First, Middle Initial, Last)
    Company
    Street Address (no PO Boxes)
    City, State or Country, Zip
    Phone
    Fax
    E-mail Address
    Describe your systemís hardware configuration.
    If you have been a beta tester for Microsoft before, include a list of product(s) that you've tested. Briefly describe any beta experience that you have and how you will be using the product(s) you are interested in testing.

After this information is received, it will be forwarded to the specific product group for review and consideration. Due to the volume of requests we receive, you will only be contacted if selected to participate in the beta program.

*IMPORTANT: Only one beta product name can be put in the subject of your message. This allows us to expedite your request to the product team handling this program. If the subject contains anything other than one beta product name, it will automatically be deleted! Do not put the word 'Microsoft' in the subject line.

Or if you have the money:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/subscription/what.asp

I got in through the back door. I was a beta tester for MSn and got into Win98 beta. Along with OSes, I am a member or the Core Game group. We test many of MS games.

BTW, Good luck, but I don't know if they are looking for beta testers now.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    From the very day I was on the plane in a seat next to the Microsoft employee, who showed me Whistler, I hated it.

Doesn't surprise anyone, I hope.

I still do.

The first thing I hate about it is the terrible interface. My gawd, it just gets uglier and uglier! I would say take a cue from Apple, except I know they would simply steal it. For Windows, it's reliable as hell. When stacked up to OSX ( I'm basing this off of W2000 Prof.) , it doesn't cut it in nearly every aspect. (Then again, who would not be surprised?) Every time I read an article, the only thing I can think of is how Microsoft is using their OS as a monopoly tool. (Windows Media Player & USB come to mind!)

I'm hoping that Microsoft's ridiculously-stupid "subscription" plan is put into affect, so people leave the OS. Better late than never.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"