1.    #1  
    I am currently using chatter and IMAP for my work email. We run an exchange server (2003) but we don't use it. What does the exchanger server functions do that IMAP does not.
    I have a 680 and use Chatter because of IMAP. I also have Versa mail setup for an Exchange server.

Versa mail can sync your calendar and IMAP cannot.

IMAP as implemented in Chatter gets my email faster than my Outlook client. With Versa mail I have to either sync manually or set up a schedule.

Overall I prefer Chatter because of the speed of getting email and because I don't have a real need for OTA syncing of any other Outlook data.
  3.    #3  
    so if i understand correctly, IMAP will mirror the email on the server but Exchange will mirror calendar, contacts and email?
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    that is (mostly) correct. In my experiences, accessing Exchange via server/active sync works better than using the IMAP service. One thing you need to do with IMAP is set up ssl security. IMAP sends usernames and passwords in clear text, so ssl on port 993 (I think that is what it is) is a good idea. Exchange Active sync uses ssl over port 443 to encrypt data. However, Versamail on the Treo won't work with user supplied certificates anymore.

Hope this helps. I love using versamail on the Treo! For people with other devices, Data Viz Roadsync is working well with Exchange too, supports direct push and turns supported phones into Blacberry like devices without the associated fees.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bling300c View Post
    so if i understand correctly, IMAP will mirror the email on the server but Exchange will mirror calendar, contacts and email?
    Exchange/Outlook is a complete collaboration system that goes beyond email (and IMAP).

Exchange runs over MAPI/RPC while IMAP uses IMAP. MAPI/RPC is more capable, but it is proprietary.

Exchange offers these things that, I believe, IMAP does not:

1. Calendaring
    2. Free / Busy / Out of Office status
    3. Server side rules for mail handling
    3. Address book
    4. Public folders
    5. Real-time notification of new mail.

IMAP is nice because it is widely used, but MAPI/RPC is more robust.