1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

Ive recently created a nice wireless hub/hub/bridge/access point set up in my house.

Long story short

I dont know how to network all the pc's that sit on the network together.

3 of them run 2000Pro and 2 of them run XPPro.

Part of the issue is the 3 PC's that are running 2K are on one hub and the XP machines are on another.

Im curious if theres software out there that will set up a network for me?

Save the settings to a disc and put that disc in each machine and let it run?

Thanks!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Does your access point also has DHCP? If yes, they could all be within the same subnet and should be able to see each machine.

No other software required for home network (using standard workgroup configuration). Configure one of the machines (pref. one that's always on) configured as master browser and turn off the rest then all the machines should show up.

PM or IM me after work hours or weekends.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 10/29/2007 at 10:57 PM.
    I have a similar setup...

I have:

wireless router
    gigabit switch
    cable internet box

All sitting on one table.

I run the cable box (internet from outside world) into the wireless router (has 5 eth ports/firewall, etc).

A cable goes from the wireless router to the gigabit switch.

All other computers connect to the gigabit switch.

I've never attempted to build a network with a hub, I've always used switches and routers for many reasons you can read about online....

The part you seem to be missing is connecting the two hubs together so all your computers can "talk" to each other. Like I said, this works with switches and routers, I've not attempted with a hub, but two of them "should" be able to talk with each other.

Anyway, I would connect everything like I have above, then make sure all computers are in the same workgroup. Reboot (you don't have to, but I do) and after all computers come up, they should see each other within "my network places."

Fairly easy... I have several computers and a home server on the network. Several of my laptops connect through wireless without issue.

You don't need software... no special connections... nothing along those lines. The only thing you need is the proper hardware to make your life easier.

If you wanted to get a switch, I'd go with a gigabit switch... gb networking is fast as all get out... I'm amazed. DVDs that would take 16 to 20 minutes take three to five minutes. You might get away with an 8 port, but a 16 port would allow growth.... and a router with a built-in firewall is a must....

Good luck....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I have a similar setup...

I have:

wireless router
    gigabit switch
    cable internet box

All sitting on one table.

I run the cable box (internet from outside world) into the wireless router (has 5 eth ports/firewall, etc).

A cable goes from the wireless router to the gigabit switch.

All other computers connect to the gigabit switch.

I've never attempted to build a network with a hub, I've always used switches and routers for many reasons you can read about online....

The part you seem to be missing is connecting the two hubs together so all your computers can "talk" to each other. Like I said, this works with switches and routers, I've not attempted with a hub, but two of them "should" be able to talk with each other.

Anyway, I would connect everything like I have above, then make sure all computers are in the same workgroup. Reboot (you don't have to, but I do) and after all computers come up, they should see each other within "my network places."

Fairly easy... I have several computers and a home server on the network. Several of my laptops connect through wireless without issue.

You don't need software... no special connections... nothing along those lines. The only thing you need is the proper hardware to make your life easier.

If you wanted to get a switch, I'd go with a gigabit switch... gb networking is fast as all get out... I'm amazed. DVDs that would take 16 to 20 minutes take three to five minutes. You might get away with an 8 port, but a 16 port would allow growth.... and a router with a built-in firewall is a must....

Good luck....

I didn't explain my setup very well I think...

I have a cable line coming out of the wall into a modem

Out from the modem runs the network cable to the wireless hub

From that wireless hub Ive got 1 XP Pro machine hardwired into it and thats the router I use on my laptop (my main pc) As well as my wife uses that hub for her laptop

Across the hall Ive got another wireless hub identical to the one mentioned above. They talk to each other. The 2nd hub logs into the first hub for its signal. (I didnt feel like stringing cable up into the attic to cross the hall)
    On the second router Ive got 2 Win2Kpro machines hard wired into it and trade out of it different video game consoles.

The 2 machines on the 2nd hub can see each other but I cant see any of the machines from my laptop or from the first machine thats hardwired.

I want them all to see each other.

I tried to change domains and I lost a user profile on one machine, it STILL didnt see the other machines so I gave up. (Ive since been able to copy that old profiles information into the new profile... sigh)

Ronobo thats a generous offer and I might take you up on it... what time zone are you in? (NM... I just read your profile you're on the west coast.. Ill look you up on AIM.

Thanks!

Thanks guys!
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    I didn't explain my setup very well I think...

I have a cable line coming out of the wall into a modem

Out from the modem runs the network cable to the wireless hub

From that wireless hub Ive got 1 XP Pro machine hardwired into it and thats the router I use on my laptop (my main pc) As well as my wife uses that hub for her laptop

Across the hall Ive got another wireless hub identical to the one mentioned above. They talk to each other. The 2nd hub logs into the first hub for its signal. (I didnt feel like stringing cable up into the attic to cross the hall)
    On the second router Ive got 2 Win2Kpro machines hard wired into it and trade out of it different video game consoles.

The 2 machines on the 2nd hub can see each other but I cant see any of the machines from my laptop or from the first machine thats hardwired.

I want them all to see each other.

I tried to change domains and I lost a user profile on one machine, it STILL didnt see the other machines so I gave up. (Ive since been able to copy that old profiles information into the new profile... sigh)

Ronobo thats a generous offer and I might take you up on it... what time zone are you in? (NM... I just read your profile you're on the west coast.. Ill look you up on AIM.

Thanks!

Thanks guys!
    Ok, ok... got you!

But I can't help you... I've never hooked up two wireless connections before. I went gigabit and never looked back. I have wireless for when people come over and want to get on the net... I don't care for wireless since I push a lot of data at any given time.

I did a quick search and came up with this site: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging1.html

That might help... or at least push you in the right direction. If not, maybe you can go to your wireless manuf site and see if they offer suggestions or email them...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  6.    #6  
    Yeah at first I was wicked happy to get the 2 to talk to each other...

Now Im obviously looking to take it to the next level.

I really appreciate the input.
    There is no spoon.
    so, how are your pcs getting IPs?

do all your pcs have the same network name?

did you "share" something on each device?

can you ping each of the pcs? for xp, you will have to disable the firewall for that pc to respond. you can turn it back on later if you want.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  8.    #8  
    Im assuming my PC's are getting their IP's from the 2 routers that they're plugged into.

Ive tried to set the domain and or network names all the same and thats when I lost one of my profiles (long story)

Yes, Ive shared the "C" drive on all the machines.

Ive not tried to ping each pc so I dont know.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Im assuming my PC's are getting their IP's from the 2 routers that they're plugged into.

Ive tried to set the domain and or network names all the same and thats when I lost one of my profiles (long story)

Yes, Ive shared the "C" drive on all the machines.

Ive not tried to ping each pc so I dont know.
    share specific folders -- not the entire C drive

to see the ip of each PC goto:

start

run

type: cmd (enter)

type: ipconfig (enter)

(you can also type: ipconfig /all (more info); ipconfig /release (then)

; ipconfig /renew

to clear ip conflicts

unplugging routers for few moments also regenerates ip addresses (unless the PCs have been assigned fixed ips)
    Last edited by BARYE; 11/01/2007 at 09:49 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)