Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by gojeda View Post
    Even though I dispise the Red Sox with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns, their victory is well deserved. Good for them.
    Thanks for being a good sport, gojeda.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treosensei View Post
    Thanks for being a good sport, gojeda.
    Truth be told, the Rockies has to be one of the weakest teams to make it to a World Series in recent memory. Not only did the the Bosox flatten them, but I think any of the AL teams in the playoffs would have done the same.

But that is neither here nor there.

I wonder how vigorously Boston will persue ARod, if at all, now that his days in New York seem to have come to an end.

Outside of the Yankees and Boston, there are probably only 3 or 4 other teams that can afford him.
    After watching the red sox` unbelievable comeback in '04, and now the amazing display of genuine team effort under pressure here in '07, it gives you the chills. The kind you got when you watched this as a kid.....

Its a wonderful thing to be a sox fan right now.....
    This has been a fun thread. Perhaps we should start on the Yankee Death Wish.
    And..... How can they possibly go wrong with a closer like Papelbon in the bullpen?!!!
    He had a good series. Do you suppose they will give a contract to the MVP? Would the Yankees?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    This has been a fun thread. Perhaps we should start on the Yankee Death Wish.
    Lol. Things are certainly getting interesting over in the Bronx right now. But before we cross that bridge, here`s just another one of the many memorable moments from the post season....

Each one is such a character... which made it that much more fun to watch...

6.    #26  
    He had a good series. Do you suppose they will give a contract to the MVP? Would the Yankees?
    I think Boston would be out of their minds not to offer Lowell at least a 5 year contract. Solid numbers throughout the regular AND post season. Thats a franchise player. As part of the core of the sox assault, he`s a steady, gutsy, clutch player who plays with heart.

That`s who you want on your squad, not the multimillion dollar primadonna who folds during the post season. That type of player will weigh down the team`s dynamics over time.

The yankees will be the first to make an offer for him since they lost A-rod, but I dont think the Sox are letting Lowell go anywhere. As the series MVP, they`d be crazy to trade him.
  7.    #27  
    Truth be told, the Rockies has to be one of the weakest teams to make it to a World Series in recent memory. Not only did the the Bosox flatten them, but I think any of the AL teams in the playoffs would have done the same.

But that is neither here nor there.

I wonder how vigorously Boston will persue ARod, if at all, now that his days in New York seem to have come to an end.

Outside of the Yankees and Boston, there are probably only 3 or 4 other teams that can afford him.

The Rockies did appear to be woefully overmatched, as did the St. Louis Cardinals in 2004. That is true. I agree that several other AL teams would have pounded them as well. The eight day layoff leaves me wondering how much was due to rustiness and inactivity. To be honest, I was surprised that this was the best the NL had to offer.

However, the same could not be said about the Cleveland Indians. They were the real deal Holyfield, and Boston handled them. The ACLS, to me, was a tighter race than the actual world series, and served to prove Boston`s authenticity.

I hope Boston lets A-rod go the way of Barry Bonds. Pass. He`s an individual player who puts up big numbers during the regular season, but seems to fold during post season play - repeatedly. I don`t see him as the type of team player that Lowell is, which is what makes Lowell infinitely more valuable to Boston than the 54 home runs and 156 ribbies A-rod puts up.

I dont know who else might vie for him. Possibly the Mets? What do you think?
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    The Rockies did appear to be woefully overmatched, as did the St. Louis Cardinals in 2004. That is true. I agree that several other AL teams would have pounded them as well. The eight day layoff leaves me wondering how much was due to rustiness and inactivity. To be honest, I was surprised that this was the best the NL had to offer.

However, the same could not be said about the Cleveland Indians. They were the real deal Holyfield, and Boston handled them. The ACLS, to me, was a tighter race than the actual world series, and served to prove Boston`s authenticity.

I hope Boston lets A-rod go the way of Barry Bonds. Pass. He`s an individual player who puts up big numbers during the regular season, but seems to fold during post season play - repeatedly. I don`t see him as the type of team player that Lowell is, which is what makes Lowell infinitely more valuable to Boston than the 54 home runs and 156 ribbies A-rod puts up.

I dont know who else might vie for him. Possibly the Mets? What do you think?
    Well.....I, for one, can't put ARod on the same plane as a Barry Bonds for the simple reason that one dabbled in the 'roids while the other one, it seems, puts up the numbers due to 'ol fashioned hard work (and sheer natural talent).

Baseball is a strange game. New York manhandled Cleveland and swept the season series. Then you get what happened in the playoffs. I am not sure Cleveland is the real deal, to be honest - but time will tell on that.

Boston, being the most balanced team at the end of the season, showed the league who was boss.

I am seeing endless comparison's between ARod and Lowell. I am not sure why. ARod is a natural shortstop, so there is clearly room for him in Boston. Money is not an issue for Boston either insofar that Boston can come up with the money. The question becomes whether or not ARod is worth it.

The problem with ARod is that New York is Jeter's town. This is exacerbated by ARod's perennial collapse in the playoffs. He never felt the love in New York (for reasons valid and not so valid).

Will ARod get the love in Boston? That is a good question.

The Mets and the Cubbies are supposedly in the hunt as well. Needless to say, baseball's silly-season is going to get quite silly this time around.
  9.    #29  
    Well.....I, for one, can't put ARod on the same plane as a Barry Bonds for the simple reason that one dabbled in the 'roids while the other one, it seems, puts up the numbers due to 'ol fashioned hard work (and sheer natural talent).

Baseball is a strange game. New York manhandled Cleveland and swept the season series. Then you get what happened in the playoffs. I am not sure Cleveland is the real deal, to be honest - but time will tell on that.

Boston, being the most balanced team at the end of the season, showed the league who was boss.

I am seeing endless comparison's between ARod and Lowell. I am not sure why. ARod is a natural shortstop, so there is clearly room for him in Boston. Money is not an issue for Boston either insofar that Boston can come up with the money. The question becomes whether or not ARod is worth it.

The problem with ARod is that New York is Jeter's town. This is exacerbated by ARod's perennial collapse in the playoffs. He never felt the love in New York (for reasons valid and not so valid).

Will ARod get the love in Boston? That is a good question.

The Mets and the Cubbies are supposedly in the hunt as well. Needless to say, baseball's silly-season is going to get quite silly this time around.

The latest position of MLB on A-rod...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7386064?MSNHPHMA

I give A-rod credit for achieving his stats naturally ( as far as we know ), so in that sense, he IS in a different league than Barry Bonds.
    I have much more respect for Rodriguez than I do Bonds since Barry is known for his poor off-the-field behavior and his suspected or alleged drug use.

However, the two do seem similar in that they appear to be individual players, rather than team players. Coming through in the clutch is not what they are known for. Now, in Alex`s case, that may or may not have something to do with Jeter. There could be too many chefs in the kitchen. Regardless, neither A-rod nor Bonds seem to do very well in pressure situations where the team needs them during the post season. Both seem to choke or go dormant late in the year. I think those traits are bad news if you`re trying to build a championship team.

The only reason comparisons between Mike Lowell and Rodriquez are being made today is largely because both men are available for acquisition by big teams. They are both capable of big production numbers during the regular season. They have both played third base. The area where they clearly differ is, as I have said, in the off season production category.

Mike Lowell is a true, proven clutch performer while A-rod doesnt seem to be.

I agree. Baseball truly is a strange game. There was a period during this season when the Yankees were FOURTEEN games behind the Red Sox in the AL east. Suddenly they race back into contention, go on to overcome the Cleveland Indians but then proceed to immediately collapse afterwards. Truly bizarre.

I think the true test of the top team is the one who can sustain a steady level of performance most consistently throughout the entire year. Though a couple teams came close, Boston, as you said, was the most balanced and consistent. Pound for pound, I think they possessed the best combination of talent, experience and youth, so they can definitely be considered the best team in baseball for 2007.

Personally, Id like to see A-rod just jump across town and take root in Shea.
    Time will tell what shakes out.
    Last edited by treosensei; 10/29/2007 at 08:04 PM.
    [New Orleans had four brewerys when I was a boy but only the Dixie Brewing Company survives today.]
    It would be nice to see them thriving again.
    American beer was light gold in color and body and all brands tasted pretty much the same.
    Historically, that's not entirely accurate. That's only since the industrial brewing industry took hold.
    At least by contrast, Sam was darker, heavier, and flavorful. Sam was one of the first and most successful of 600 "craft brewerys" that emerged in the next decade. Brewing really is craft and this movement saved the tradition of American beer.
    Well, I certainly can't fault Jim Koch's marketing acumen, but ultimately I'd credit guys like Fritz Maytag or John Maier with bringing the craft back.
    Since you seem to be a conoisseur of my favorite beverage in this world, I wonder what is your take about the rather popular notion that Europe's beers are better than their American counterparts?
    It really depends on which beers and counterparts you're referring to. The shame is that when people discuss beer in America in recent memory, they're typically referring to the NAIL triumvirate (although, it seems it's going to be down to two if the recent merger story I heard is true). Pretty much anything European is going to fare well against BudMillerCoors Light/Lite. However, I'd put things like Anchor's Foghorn, or Abita's Turbodog up against just about any similar European beer.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12