Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Strange. I found myself wondering why his story differs so much from the many others that found Rummy to be an incompetent neocon that accepted very little advice from those that knew better.

Oh well...
    Some people can work well with anyone, some can't. I think Franks said as much.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by gojeda View Post
    Some people can work well with anyone, some can't. I think Franks said as much.
    If they're likeminded you're probably right. So fair enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    I used to respect John's politics but I lost all respect after Rove's 2000 smear campaign (I'll always respect his service to his country). Truly vile stuff but John rebounded and went on to actually support the guy that had smeared him. Politics makes for stange bedfellows I guess...

Small story FWIW - a fellow vet and I were talking about McCain back in 2000 and I was all for him getting the nomination and eventually, the Presidency. My friend, who has famously been mentioned in several combat story books, unlike myself - had a theory about John that wasn't too flattering. Basically his theory was that John was particularily good at telling people what they wanted to hear, for if he weren't, he would not have survived as a POW. The premise being that McCain was wishy washy and changed positions to survive the political challenges of the day but that he had no solid stances on the issues (yes...this was back in 2000, but it was a different John we were talking about!). I dismissed this whole notion, yet my friend continued to rant how much he thought he and I would have been killed before we told the enemy what they wanted to hear. Now my friend was an ardent Kerry hater as well and quite radically right-winged (he has now become a libertarian and is a Bush hater...thank god because I used to get flooded with his right-wing propaganda emails just to pis$ me off )...but that is neither here nor there.

In any event, since 2000 I never forgot that conversation and always wondered how true it might be. Could it be that those years in those bamboo cages were more formative than perhaps we really appreciate? I don't mean this to disparage John. I think he has lost his way politcally and disagree with much of his political viewpoints these days (if one can figure out what those viewpoints are for the day). But he has certainly earned many a vets respect and should be respected by all as a war hero for all that he went through. I am just not sure I can vote for him...and for me, that is a deeply personal and painful thing as I so wanted him to be the moderate rebel that he pretended to be back in 2000.
    His propensity to succumb to the weight of the Bushies during and after election season 2000 became all too apparent to me, and likely most everyone, also. Afterward, he almost always appeared a bit too comfortably compromised for my taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    His propensity to succumb to the weight of the Bushies during and after election season 2000 became all too apparent to me, and likely most everyone, also. Afterward, he almost always appeared a bit too comfortably compromised for my taste.
    Weird that political ambition broke his integrity in a way that torture didn't ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Weird that political ambition broke his integrity in a way that torture didn't ...
    I actually don't question his integrity per se. But I would agree that his political ambitions (to be President) have compromised his position as the maverick he was once seen as. I also think he adopted an "assimilate the winning team's play book" campaign strategy since Bush/Rove won two elections since he last ran for President.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123