Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A webby, an oscar, and now a noble peace prize. Not too shabby.

Al Gore wins Nobel Peace Prize
    Ex-VP, intergovernmental body honored for global warming work
    The Associated Press
    Updated: 5:35 a.m. ET Oct. 12, 2007

OSLO, Norway - Former Vice President Al Gore and the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change won the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize Friday for their efforts to spread awareness of man-made climate change and lay the foundations for counteracting it.

Gore won an Academy Award this year for his film "An Inconvenient Truth," a documentary on global warming, and had been widely expected to win the prize.

"His strong commitment, reflected in political activity, lectures, films and books, has strengthened the struggle against climate change," the citation said. "He is probably the single individual who has done most to create greater worldwide understanding of the measures that need to be adopted."

It cited Gore's awareness at an early stage "of the climatic challenges the world is facing.

The committee cited the Panel on Climate Change for two decades of scientific reports that have "created an ever-broader informed consensus about the connection between human activities and global warming."

Climate change has moved high on the international agenda this year. The U.N. climate panel has been releasing reports, talks on a replacement for the 1997 Kyoto Protocol on climate are set to resume and on Europe's northern fringe, where the awards committee works, there is growing concern about the melting Arctic.

The Norwegian Nobel Committee said global warming, "may induce large-scale migration and lead to greater competition for the earth's resources. Such changes will place particularly heavy burdens on the world's most vulnerable countries. There may be increased danger of violent conflicts and wars, within and between states."

'Question of war and peace'
    Jan Egeland, a Norwegian peace mediator and former U.N. undersecretary for humanitarian affairs, also called climate change more than an environmental issue.

"It is a question of war and peace," said Egeland, now director of the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs in Oslo. "We're already seeing the first climate wars, in the Sahel belt of Africa." He said nomads and herders are in conflict with farmers because the changing climate has brought drought and a shortage of fertile lands.

The committee often uses the coveted prize to cast the global spotlight on a relatively little-known person or cause. Since Gore already has a high profile some had doubted that the committee would bestow the prize on him "because he does not need it."

In recent years, the committee has broadened the interpretation of peacemaking and disarmament efforts outlined by Swedish industrialist Alfred Nobel in creating the prize with his 1895 will. The prize now often also recognizes human rights, democracy, elimination of poverty, sharing resources and the environment.

Two of the past three prizes have been untraditional, with the 2004 award to Kenya environmentalist Wangari Maathai and last year's award to Bangladeshi economist Muhammad Yunus and his Grameen Bank, which makes to micro-loans to the country's poor.

2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21262661/
    Although Gore and others have the wisdom to recognize the crisis now, the day will come within our lifetimes when all will realize that this is about responsible PEACE!
    incredible to imagine how much better and different the world would now be, had Gore been President (and not junior...)

(btw, I thought the award was to be announced late in the day)
    Last edited by BARYE; 10/12/2007 at 09:57 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    congratulations to al gore. he and rachel carson are the forerunners of the modern environmental movement.
    morris stalk
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    incredible to imagine how much better and different the world would now be, had Gore been President (and not junior...)

(btw, I thought the award was to be announced late in the day)
    Perhaps I got the news early since I'm in Europe at the moment....dunno.

I wonder if Gore will run in '08?
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post

there have been news stories the last few days about a movement to draft him --

I have long hoped that he'd run -- but I'm also somewhat torn, fearing internal democratic strife and self destruction...

(he's also much better as a hypothetical candidate, than a real one...)
    Didn't Yasser Arafat also win a nobel peace prize?

Rumors have been circulating that Gore would announce during the award presentation. Personally, I seriously doubt that he will, but if he does, the playing field will be turned on its head in a way that will leave the Republicans in the dust scratching themselves.
  11.    #11  
    there have been news stories the last few days about a movement to draft him --

I have long hoped that he'd run -- but I'm also somewhat torn, fearing internal democratic strife and self destruction...

(he's also much better as a hypothetical candidate, than a real one...)
    Well the Dems are pretty good at self-destruction so I'm not so sure Gore entering the race will change that inevitable outcome.

I do think he could win though despite his late entry. It would be interesting to see the sparks fly with Hillary if nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by aairman23 View Post
    Didn't Yasser Arafat also win a nobel peace prize?
    and The Dali Lama, Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, F.W. de Klerk, Aung San Suu Kyi, Mikhail Gorbachev, Elie Wiesel, Desmond Tutu, Lech Walesa, Mother Teresa...
    Kudos to Mr. Gore
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    and The Dali Lama, Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, F.W. de Klerk, Aung San Suu Kyi, Mikhail Gorbachev, Elie Wiesel, Desmond Tutu, Lech Walesa, Mother Teresa...
    Ahh yes...

Nelson Mandela, the same man who was instrumental in the founding of Umkhonto we Sizwe, the armed militant wing of the ANC.

But wait, is this not the same organization that nominated Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini, and Josef Stalin way-back-when (just to name a few dubious nominees, forget about dubious winners)?

Well damn, there is a nice tidbit Algore can tell his grandkids about!

But I am curious, the award is supposed to be awarded to:

"...the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses".

Sorry.....when did Al Gore worked for international fraternity again? What has he done to abolish or reduce standing armies? Anyone remember that Algore promoted and established peace congress?

Anyone? Bueller?

<pat's Algore on the shoulder> Surely you are in much esteemed company Al. You should be proud.
    Last edited by gojeda; 10/12/2007 at 01:25 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by gojeda View Post
    Ahh yes...

Nelson Mandela, the same man who was instrumental in Umkhonto we Sizwe, the armed militant wing of the ANC.

But wait, is this not the same organization that nominated Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini, and Josef Stalin way-back-when (just to name a few dubious nominees, forget about dubious winners)?

Well damn, there is a nice tidbit Algore can tell his grandkids about!

But I am curious, the award is supposed to be awarded to:

"...the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses".

Sorry.....when did Al Gore worked for international fraternity again? What has he done to abolish or reduce standing armies? Anyone remember that Algore promoted and established peace congress?

Anyone? Bueller?

<pat's Algore on the shoulder> Surely you are in much esteemed company Al. You should be proud.
    Yawn. More drivel. Less and less class.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Drivel? Perhaps mate, but factual drivel nevertheless.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by gojeda View Post
    Drivel? Perhaps mate, but factual drivel nevertheless.
    ...and less and less and less and less and less class.

It's downright exhausting keeping up with all of your trolling.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Kudos to Mr. Gore
    Ah yes, leave it to Shop to remind me that there is plenty of class to be found on the other side of the aisle. Nicely done sir.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    ...and less and less and less and less and less class.

It's downright exhausting keeping up with all of your trolling.
    I can understand your discomfort with the truth. Fortunately, you are in good company around here.
    It's a self-entertained internet clown. For a $1.00, you can buy a million of 'em. Let it die a death which is appropriate.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast