Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    though we may almost always disagree, I know that you understand subtext and inference. I recognize that you're an educated guy. I assume therefore that you know about and understand Obama's complex ethnicity.

Using the word "pedigree" against that backdrop, is at best, insensitive.
    To the person that is pre-occupied with race and ethnicity (something that apparently Barack, his wife, and yourself have in common) perhaps. To others, I think it is well known that Obama's lack of a real political legacy is a problem for his presidential hopes.

I think your comments speaks to the larger problem of playing the race card in this poisonous politically-correct atmosphere we find ourselves in.
    Quote Originally Posted by gojeda View Post
    To the person that is pre-occupied with race and ethnicity (something that apparently Barack, his wife, and yourself have in common) perhaps. To others, I think it is well known that Obama's lack of a real political legacy is a problem for his presidential hopes.
    For someone with such a supposed intellect, your inference by the use of "'pedigree'", even in political terms, conveniently overlooks the fact that its definition conveys a purebred lineage. Though this is highly inconvenient for you, the truth remains unchanged. This has nothing to do with sensitivity, but solely with integrity.

# S: (n) lineage, line, line of descent, descent, bloodline, blood line, blood, pedigree, ancestry, origin, parentage, stemma, stock (the descendants of one individual) "his entire lineage has been warriors"
    # S: (n) pedigree (line of descent of a purebred animal)
    # S: (n) pedigree, bloodline (ancestry of a purebred animal)
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    For someone with such a supposed intellect, your inference by the use of "'pedigree'", even in political terms, conveniently overlooks the fact that its definition conveys a purebred lineage. Though this is highly inconvenient for you, the truth remains unchanged. This has nothing to do with sensitivity, but solely with integrity.
    You are kidding, right? Pedigree in the political sense conveys respected, perceived high-value experience and education. In this case, his lack of political experience.

Playing the race card based on his comment is so disingenuous it's pathetic. And speaks volumes to your integrity (related to this thread).

I love how the cocoa puffs crowd loves to read the most nefarious things into a comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    I still remember how after his concession speech Kerry suddenly transformed from a wormtongue bloviating craven into an honest decent, classy guy. So I have given up trying to get an straight answer about presidential candidates around here.
    Couldn't agree more! As I'm sure you've noticed just as I have, most responding posts are more to do with why X-candidate is wrong for the job, even where BARYE clearly presented 2 positive-focused questions.
    L2S, those who were there at the time already know, but for you, a simple search of OT prior the 2004 election and the day after will show you what I am talking about.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I never claimed to be smart, but thank you for the compliment just the same.

A word can have several different definitions. I think you should look at one that you conveniently left out.

ped·i·gree

4. derivation, origin, or history: the pedigree of a word.

Political pedigree, in this context, is the analysis of whether the person in question has a political legacy, a track record, or an extended period of service.

I feel that Obama has major issues in this department and merely made an observation to that effect.
    I never claimed to be smart, but thank you for the compliment just the same.
    You simply pretend, as if. But please, go on. You may just get nominated for an Emmy!

A word can have several different definitions. I think you should look at one that you conveniently left out.

ped·i·gree

4. derivation, origin, or history: the pedigree of a word.
    Your use has been that of a noun "Obama ... does not have the pedigree". Your #4 definition is that of an adjective. Princeton makes this perfectly clear, even to the obtuse.

Political pedigree, in this context, is the analysis
    Use of the term 'pedigree' is not an analysis
    of whether the person in question has a political legacy, a track record, or an extended period of service.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Your use has been that of a noun "Obama ... does not have the pedigree". Your #4 definition is that of an adjective. Princeton makes this perfectly clear, even to the obtuse.
    I think you have just proven to us that you do not know what is a noun and what is a adjective.

Firstly, the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, where my definition came from, says the word pedigree is, intrinsically, a noun.

Secondly, to use the word pedigree as an adjective, you would need something like this:

"Barack Obama is a pedigree politician."

Here, the word pedigree is used to describe the noun politician.

"Fido is a pedigree German Shepherd."

Here, the word pedigree is used to describe the noun German Shepherd.

My use of the word is wholly different:

"....he simply does not have the pedigree."

Pedigree here is, a noun in and of itself especially since when the word is proceeded by the word "the" with no interceding adjective.

"The dog"
    "The cat"
    "The lineage"
    "The history"
    "The pedigree"

This concludes my English 101 lesson for today.

Use of the term 'pedigree' is not an analysis
    Speaking about a person's political pedigree is an analysis or commentary of that person's political history.

(Oh, and pedigree is a noun in that sentence too.)
    Last edited by gojeda; 10/11/2007 at 09:40 AM.
    I think you have just proven to us that you do not know what is a noun and what is a adjective.

Firstly, the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, where my definition came from, says the word pedigree is, intrinsically, a noun.

Secondly, to use the word pedigree as an adjective, you would need something like this:

"Barack Obama is a pedigree politician."

Here, the word pedigree is used to describe politician.

"Fido is a pedigree German Shepherd."

Here, the word pedigree is used to describe German Shepherd.

My use of the word is wholly different:

"....he simply does not have the pedigree."

Pedigree here is, a noun in and of itself.
    Review Princeton's definitions of pedigree [noun] as you're twisting in the wind by attempting to differ when you're only confirming my allegation that your use of the term 'pedigree' was , in fact, that of a noun. As a noun, and used as you did ("Obama ... does not have the pedigree") is offensive, nothing more, nothing less. Again, you pigeon-hole yourself then deny reality.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Review Princeton's definitions of pedigree [noun] as you're twisting in the wind by attempting to differ when you're only confirming my allegation that your use of the term 'pedigree' was , in fact, that of a noun. As a noun, and used as you did ("Obama ... does not have the pedigree") is offensive, nothing more, nothing less. Again, you pigeon-hole yourself then deny reality.
    I might deny reality, but that still does not remove the fact that you still do not know what is a noun and an adjective.

Again, I will direct you to The Random House Unabridged Dictionary, which is quite clear on the definitions the word "pedigree" carries, and refer back to my previous point that those pre-occupied with race and ethnicity are the first to make spurious accusations thereof.
    I might deny reality, but that still does not remove the fact that you still do not know what is a noun and an adjective.
    What part of agreeing on your use of the term 'pedigree' as a noun escapes you? Don't injure your back twisting like that.

Again, I will direct you to The Random House Unabridged Dictionary, which is quite clear on the definitions the word "pedigree" carries, and refer back to my previous point that those pre-occupied with race and ethnicity are the first to make spurious accusations thereof.
    My 'spurious' accusations are those of Princeton. Take it up with the Regents.

pedigree: # S: (n) lineage, line, line of descent, descent, bloodline, blood line, blood, pedigree, ancestry, origin, parentage, stemma, stock (the descendants of one individual) "his entire lineage has been warriors"
    # S: (n) pedigree (line of descent of a purebred animal)
    # S: (n) pedigree, bloodline (ancestry of a purebred animal)

I think your comments speaks to the larger problem of playing the race card in this poisonous politically-correct atmosphere we find ourselves in.
    Politically correct? So now when you give a word it’s plain everyday meaning, you’re being politically correct? Boy, the lengths people go to in order to convince others that what they said isn’t what they said. Judging by your defensiveness, the only person playing the race card is you. Not only with trying to couch your “cleverness” in ambiguity, but then to get indignant about it when you’re called on it. But if by chance I’m wrong, then maybe you ought to put the thesaurus down sometimes and just say what you mean.
    Iago

"Good name in man and woman, dear my lord, Is the immediate jewel of their souls: Who steals my purse steals trash . . . But he that filches from me my good name Robs me of that which not enriches him
    And makes me poor indeed."

Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation.
    - Howard Scott
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    What part of agreeing on your use of the term 'pedigree' as a noun escapes you? Don't injure your back twisting like that.
    First you say:

Your #4 definition is that of an adjective.
    Which, of course is laughably erroneous.

Then you quip..

that your use of the term 'pedigree' was , in fact, that of a noun...
    I am the one twist words around?

My 'spurious' accusations are those of Princeton. Take it up with the Regents.
    I am not the one who thinks, or thought, the word 'pedigree' is an adjective.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iago View Post
    Politically correct? So now when you give a word it’s plain everyday meaning, you’re being politically correct?
    I am not the one who read the word "pedigree" and automatically went off the deep end by thinking this was a "race" or "ethnicity" issue. I suggest you talk to BARYE and Shortie about that.
    First you say:

Which, of course is laughably erroneous.

Then you quip..

I am the one twist words around?

I am not the one who thinks, or thought, the word 'pedigree' is an adjective.
    Your smug internet-games at the price of integrity and honor devalues humanity and your claimed values. But, I digress ...
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Your smug internet-games at the price of integrity and honor devalues humanity and your claimed values. But, I digress ...
    I am not the one playing the race card.
    I am not the one playing the race card.
    No. You're wordsmithing and excusing your loaded term. Or, is everyone but you responsible for its definition? Get real already.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    No. You're wordsmithing and excusing your loaded term. Or, is everyone but you responsible for its definition? Get real already.
    From noun, to adjective, and back to noun - now its called "wordsmithing". LMFAO!!

Based on your reaction, I can see where you are confused about things.
    From noun, to adjective, and back to noun - now its called "wordsmithing". LMFAO!!

Based on your reaction, I can see where you are confused about things.
    Whether you meant it or not or whether you meant to use it is a noun or not really doesn't matter much to me. I think Barye merely pointed out that the context in which you used the word - from his vantage point - was insensitive. More noble and reasonable men would simply apologize for the misunderstanding and clarify what they meant. You're obviously neither.

FWIW - I actually knew what you meant and I knew you didn't mean to play the race card. But then your embarrassingly crass demeanor appeared and that brief moment of empathy went right out the window.

BTW - I meant to use the word "crass" as an adjective and the definition or context I intended is "without refinement or sensitivity".
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    More noble and reasonable men would simply apologize for the misunderstanding and clarify what they meant.
    Assuming, of course, those more noble and reasonable men actually had something to apologize for.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    FWIW - I actually knew what you meant and I knew you didn't mean to play the race card. But then your embarrassingly crass demeanor appeared and that brief moment of empathy went right out the window.
    As I believe we all did, however, as BARYE accurately pointed out, subtext does not escape gojeda, who was obviously aware of the Lee Atwater-esque codeword within his statement that "Obama does not have the pedigree".
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast