Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here are some questions that have popped through my head these past few weeks. Pardon, for they are ot all Visor related, and probably belong somewhere else, but I guess this qualifies for "off topic"

1) (I removed this question)

2) If a rhinocerous (sp?) in the wild came into contact with a Pontiac Asstek, what would happen?

3) Why do people try and soup up their Honda Civics? It barely passes the "valve to door" ratio, but I still see people driving around with these "Hot Rod" Civics here. Isn't that an oxymoron?

4) How come Windows 2000 has over 10 possible choices under the File:New"" category (New shortcut, new folder, etc.) and not one of them is for a new window?

5) How come it is legal to make a duplication of an audio file through email but not through a specialized client?

6) Can you only play music off of the SoundsGood Audio Player, or can you use it as storage too?

7) Why did Microsoft spend more time making a game on killing that stupid paper clip than they did fixing the bugs in Office 98?

9) What's the rock-bottom absolute lowest price possible new *or* used Visor Prism in working condition?

10) Why is Adcritic.com so slow recently? They used to clock at over 40K/sec (a darn respectable speed) but now I'm lucky if I can get 1K /sec !!!!!!
    Last edited by bblue; 05/26/2001 at 12:26 PM.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Moderator, does this post qualify for a lock down?
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    Moderator, does this post qualify for a lock down?
    why would it? those are interesting questions.
    all around good guy

brandon
    drop me a line
    1) Why isn't deportation legal in the United States? Here in Cincinnati we have loads of minorities we need to get rid of... j/j about that
    I don't know what you're talking about....

2) If a rhinocerous (sp?) in the wild came into contact with a Pontiac Asstek, what would happen?
    The Aztek would fall apart from fear.

3) Why do people try and soup up their Honda Civics? It barely passes the "valve to door" ratio, but I still see people driving around with these "Hot Rod" Civics here. Isn't that an oxymoron?
    Good question. I have a Civic. It's not that powerful, and I would NEVER soup it up. I think people do that because they want their car to seem as if it's not the cheap import that it is.

and for the rest...I don't know....
    www.studio1809.com
    P.S. I feel at home with geeks like you.
    1. I prefer not to answer such a rasict question

2. Rhinosaurpos would get seriusly hurt, and the car totalled.

3. I live the civic!

4. Becase all those choice are for new files. data. a New window is up to the program. Some programs don't support MDI, so they can't handle multiple windows, while others can.

5. It's not legal either way.

6. only Music

7. Becasue the programmers did it in their own time..

8. Where did that q go?

9. probably $300

10. I don't know what your talking about..

Mods.. watch this thread.. it could turn ugly
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  6.    #6  
    Q1 came off sounding WAY more prejudiced than it should have been. SO I removed it. It wasn't supposed to be, but it would sound like it if you don't live in Cincinnati. I guess you have to live here to get the joke. (Yes, it was a joke, an no, it wasn't about removing certain ethinic groups, either.) But since you don't, I removed it.

I'll get a VC Staff Member to watch this post
    Last edited by bblue; 05/26/2001 at 12:42 PM.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    WTF is that supposed to be? BBlue, I don't like your instulting the VC staff. I think that they are very competant, and smart people. Heck, they made this site. IT takes alot of work to write the code, to write the reviews, and to modorate the boards. You should be more than thankful we have these, mainly volunteers, willign to help us out.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    To paraphrase from Radio Shack, You've got questions, I've got answers.

Originally posted by bblue
    define "contact."
    If you hit a rhinoceros (correct spelling, BTW; you're close) with a car, depending on its speed, both will sustain damage. Likely the car will take the brunt of it due to the rhino's mass. A charging rhino that stikes a stationary vehicle will probably trash the vehicle with little to no personal damage, like in that "Jumanji" movie.
    Or are you just trying to be insulting to the Aztek by changing the spelling?
    No one ever knows when you're joking, bblue.

4) How come Windows 2000 has over 10 possible choices under the File:New"" category (New shortcut, new folder, etc.) and not one of them is for a new window?
    You need a saw to put in a new window. Windows 2000 does not come with a saw.

I didn't say they'd be good answers.

5) How come it is legal to make a duplication of an audio file through email but not through a specialized client?
    It's only legal to make a duplicate of any electronic file if it's for your own personal use, if you are the creator of the material and are allowing others to duplicate it, or if you are given permission to make a duplicate.
    Duplicating copyrighted material and then circulating it to others is illegal in the United States, except as defined by "fair use" -- which includes personal and educational use.

6) Can you only play music off of the SoundsGood Audio Player, or can you use it as storage too?
    Based on VisorCentral's review, I'd say "no." MP3 storage only.
    The review is here:
    http://www.visorcentral.com/page/0-6-56-1-6.htm

7) Why did Microsoft spend more time making a game on killing that stupid paper clip than they did fixing the bugs in Office 98?
    Bait and switch. The game is to distract you from the bugs.

10) Why is Adcritic.com so slow recently? They used to clock at over 40K/sec (a darn respectable speed) but now I'm lucky if I can get 1K /sec !!!!!!
    Likely, their server load has increased. It happens. Adcritic.com's "about us" page states that they are "amongst the top 10 most trafficked broadband sites in the world." More traffic = more users on the same amount of bandwidth = reduced speed.
    Remember the "denial of service" attacks in the news some time ago? The victim sites were hit with huge amounts of traffic which kept legitimate users out.
    Try using it at a different time of day.

Also, don't take this the wrong way, but maybe someone should take that staff and smack you with it?
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  9.    #9  
    Ok, about the "Staff" joke....
    This was no accident. I knew you people would get mad. Notice, it only says it has a higher IQ than other "Staff" members. Not [U] Visorcentral [U] Staff members, unless they are, staffs. A visorcentral staff member isn't a staff member because they're a staff! Ha... Ha...

*meaning in plain english: The IQ comparison was against other staffs (making them "staff members" get it? get it? ha... ha... ok, sorry.), not the VC staff. So no, I wasn't insulting you guys. You do a fine job of promoting and helping the Visor community!

---

Now about the questions:

2- I was referring more as to looks. The Asstek (oops... I just happened to spell it wrong again!) quote "looks like a rhinocerous on crack" (quoted from a letter to Car & Driver) and I was simply wondering what would happen if another Rhinocerous would think if it came into contact with one. Would it try and form a friendship?

10- I understand that from Adcritic, except that they've had problems with bandwidth before, but they've never become as slow as they are now. (Fridays excluded.)
    This is a west-coast phenomonem (sp?) that has spread quicky across the country. It started with Civics simply because of the large Japanese population in CA. It has grown because Civics are an incredibly affordable and well-built automobile, which allows a lot of people the opportunity to own one.

Is my Civic souped up? Well, I have a steering wheel cover if that counts.

Because that is the FILE menu. Since when is opening a new window a filing operation? Yes, NEW WINDOW appears under FILE in IE. It shouldn't.

It IS illegal to make a duplication of an audio file through email.

Why are you still using Office if the bugs bother you?
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by homer

This is a west-coast phenomonem (sp?) that has spread quicky across the country. It started with Civics simply because of the large Japanese population in CA. It has grown because Civics are an incredibly affordable and well-built automobile, which allows a lot of people the opportunity to own one.

Is my Civic souped up? Well, I have a steering wheel cover if that counts.

But why do it on a Civic? If you want an affordable, well built automobile, wouldn't it be more practical to go to a Focus or Protege? I never saw a point. For the price you pay in souping up your civic you could buy a better car!

Because that is the FILE menu. Since when is opening a new window a filing operation? Yes, NEW WINDOW appears under FILE in IE. It shouldn't.

It is in MacOSX, and it's pure bliss! (And that's where it belongs, the same operation in which you close the window and make a new folder!) If it is for an internet browser, why not for a hard drive browser? Oh wait, it's Microsoft....

It IS illegal to make a duplication of an audio file through email.

From what I've read recently, it is legal (meaning, you won't get prosecuted) to share an Mp3 file with a "buddy." (Home Recording Act)
    I simply want to know why it is not possible to share it with your "buddies."
    [/B]

Why are you still using Office if the bugs bother you? [/B]

Who said I was? Oh well, I use office sparingly enough, but there are times I have to use it because of document compatibility. (Those damn Windows machines!) I still use Clarisworks.

The Rhino would die of laughter

Don't even get me started

Becuase Microsoft likes making things hard to do i.e. putting the running programs list under the start-Settings menu on PPC

They are both Illegal

As a matter of fact you can store files on the soundsgood that you want to put on another computer but no you cannot store palm apps on it. So in a way you can use it as a floppy disc

cuz their stupid

9) What's the rock-bottom absolute lowest price possible new *or* used Visor Prism in working condition?
    Free!! 5-finger-discount... J/K!

Iv'e Noticed that too!! I can't figure it out either! I miss my commercials!
    <FONT face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="1" >NetCaptor and Odigo Rule!<i></font>
    "The Internet is now on computers?"
    Homer Simpson
    Who said I was? Oh well, I use office sparingly enough, but there are times I have to use it because of document compatibility. (Those damn Windows machines!) I still use Clarisworks.
    AppleWorks offers document compatibility. I can save to .doc format and open from .doc format. That's about as compatible as it gets without offering that format as the default.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    But why do it on a Civic? If you want an affordable, well built automobile, wouldn't it be more practical to go to a Focus or Protege? I never saw a point. For the price you pay in souping up your civic you could buy a better car!
    Like I said, it started as a Japanese thing...few Japanese (and few Americans, for that matter ) Would consider a Ford car on the same level as a Honda.

From what I've read recently, it is legal (meaning, you won't get prosecuted) to share an Mp3 file with a "buddy."
    Don't know where you read that, but it is wrong. 'Sharing' any copyrighted material is illegal...no matter how you do it.
    -David Byrne
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

AppleWorks offers document compatibility. I can save to .doc format and open from .doc format. That's about as compatible as it gets without offering that format as the default.
    But that's annoying!

Originally posted by homer

Don't know where you read that, but it is wrong. 'Sharing' any copyrighted material is
    illegal...no matter how you do it.

I have to be reading something wrong. Now I know it is legal to go over to a friend's house to make a duplicate of a music file he/she owns for your own personal use.(don't argue with me on that, because I already know that for a fact) And I'm pretty sure the same thing goes through a direct connection (email.) This is what Aimster is using in their defense, that you only "share" with your "buddies." (of course, we know that anyone in the world can be your "buddy" )

Originally posted by Visor Guy 2

The Rhino would die of laughter
    Amen to that!

---

Here's another question:

(we'll call it question EIGHT!)

8) The Visor Edge display unit at CompUSA is broken to the point where it would KEEP people from buying one. (The screen is scratched to death and broken, the body is scratched to death, and is dented to the point where dropping it several times would probably help it!)

I noticed that the security cable that attaches it to the display is gonzo..... do you think they would mind if I stole it?
    Stealing is ALWAYS wrong

unless your a kid
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  17.    #17  
    It's not stealing!!!!

wait... it is.... but it's the GOOD kind of stealing!
    Now I know it is legal to go over to a friend's house to make a duplicate of a music file he/she owns for your own personal use.(don't argue with me on that, because I already know that for a fact)
    You have an older sibling, don't you? I ask that because you sure seem like that annoying little brother of a friend everyone had in junior high.

Copyright law is quite complex, but the jist of it is in the word itself. The person who owns the copyright to the intellectual work IS THE ONLY PERSON WITH THE RIGHT TO COPY IT. Simple as that.

So, unless your friend owns the copyright to the music file that they have...which they would ONLY if they purchased the copyright (NOT the file) from the original copyright owner, or if they had made the work themselves...then you do NOT have ANY legal right to make a copy of that music file for yourself.

Do people do it? All the time. But it is still breaking copyright laws.

In this country, a person MAY make a copy as a back-up, or to transfer it to a different medium. Basically, if you buy a CD/DVD/BOOK, you own the 'license' for that one copy. You do not own the copyright to that work, just one copy of that work. You may make copies FOR YOURSELF, but once you give a copy of it to someone else, you are breaking the law.
    -David Byrne
  19.    #19  
    Ok, I was right! Woohoo!

"No action may be brought under this title alleging infringement of copyright [1] based on the
    manufacture, importation, or distribution of a digital audio recording device, a digital audio recording
    medium, an analog recording device, or an analog recording medium, or [2] based on the
    noncommercial use by a consumer of such a device or medium for making digital musical recordings or
    analog musical recordings."

These are the exact words.
    Ok, I was right! Woohoo!
    umm...no.

These are the exact words.
    The exact words of what?

That paragraph of text has nothing to do with giving you the right to copy copyrighted materials. In fact, it has nothing to do with copyright laws.

All that it states is that it is recording DEVICES are legal to manufacture, import and distribute in this country.

For example:

It is legal for you to own a VCR, but it is not legal for you to copy movies off of cable to give to your friends.

It is legal for you to own a Tape Recorder, but it is not legal for you to copy CDs and give them to your friends.

It is legal for you to own a CD Burner, but it is not legal for you to copy a Video game and give it to your friends.

I could go on...but I won't. You can't win arguments with your little brother.
    -David Byrne
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast