Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Nauseating....

SAN FRANCISCO - The annual aerial show by the U.S. Navy’s Blue Angels — a San Francisco tradition dating back to 1981 that pumps millions into the local economy — is running into opposition from three local peace advocacy groups that are calling for a permanent halt to the popular Fleet Week flyover.

CodePink, Global Exchange and Veterans for Peace, Chapter 69, are working with Supervisor Chris Daly on a Board of Supervisors resolution to address concerns over the Blue Angels.

Daly acknowledged he is considering a call to halt the flyovers because, he said, “they seem dangerous and unnecessary.” Daly said he plans on introducing the resolution as early as Tuesday, but is still drafting the language. A resolution is not legally binding, but states a board position.

http://www.examiner.com/a-768103~Dal...ls%20show.html

Then the update today where sanity prevails, at least this time around:

San Francisco's Supervisor Chris Daly is zero-for-three in his battle to spoil San Francisco's Fleet Week. Daly's latest resolution to ban the U.S. Navy's Blue Angels from performing at Fleet Week was rejected by the city's officials for the third time on Sept. 25, reports the San Jose Mercury News.

Daly's first attempt at stopping the Blues was rejected in August when the city's Government Audit and Oversight Committee tabled his measure in a 2-1 vote.

In his second effort, Daly amended his resolution to ban the Navy jets from flying over heavily populated areas of San Francisco. Daly told the committee that a plane crash would result in a significant loss of life and damage to property. The committee disagreed and subsequently rejected the measure in early September.

Daly's most recent plea restated his safety concerns about the demonstration team and included pictures of the Blue Angels crash in Beaufort, S.C. last summer where one of the team's pilots was killed and eight people on the ground were injured.

Daly asked the committee, "What would happen if this happened over a heavily populated area like San Francisco?"

Nathan Ballard, spokesman for Mayor Gavin Newsom, is among several of the city's officials that support the Blue Angels participation in Fleet Week and told the San Francisco Chronicle, "We think the FAA is better qualified to decide the Blue Angels' flight path than Chris Daly is … Chris Daly is many things, but he's no air traffic controller."

The Beaufort, S.C. incident was the first crash for the Blue Angels in eight years. The team has had 26 fatalities over the last 60 years.

Blue Angels supporters say passage of this measure would be an insult to servicemembers and veterans and another black mark against the Bay Area – a region increasingly viewed by many Americans as woefully naïve in its bias toward liberal causes. For his part, Mayor Newsom and other city council members want to keep Fleet Week (and the Blue Angels) in San Francisco because of the positive economic impact it has on the city and to show support for our nation's servicemembers.

Fleet Week is scheduled for Oct. 4-9.
    http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...150633,00.html
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Not sure why. People in SF love Fleet Week, but the military seems to take issue with SF.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg.../MNH0SILMH.DTL
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwman View Post
    Not sure why. People in SF love Fleet Week, but the military seems to take issue with SF.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg.../MNH0SILMH.DTL
    If I were the military, I too would take exception to them after this:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...AGLJDNMCA1.DTL

or banning the JROTC program....which is another story altogether.

What is scary is that even Feinstein, of all people, thought their behavior was bull****e...LOL!
    Last edited by gojeda; 10/04/2007 at 02:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gojeda View Post
    Nauseating....
    Interesting. The concept of a standing army in peacetime was once anathema to your country, but now opposing their PRPRPR $arm$ $is$ $nauseating$? $What$'$s$ $changed$?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Interesting. The concept of a standing army in peacetime was once anathema to your country, but now opposing their PRPRPR $arm$ $is$ $nauseating$? $What$'$s$ $changed$?
    Which history are you referring to here?
    Interesting. The concept of a standing army in peacetime was once anathema to your country [...]
    Would that it were still.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Which history are you referring to here?
    You have more than one?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    You have more than one?
    I believe it was Churchill who said, "History is written by the victors." Yeah?
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I believe it was Churchill who said, "History is written by the victors." Yeah?
    A rant followed by two fortune-cookie non-sequiturs. I'm tempted to call Turing test failure!
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    A rant followed by two fortune-cookie non-sequiturs. I'm tempted to call Turing test failure!
    Well, there it is. Churchill synopsis of history was borne out of a fortune cookie!

Your sagacity is clearly beyond reproach, which makes the nonplussed nature of your original question peculiar indeed.

So, instead of equivocation, why not bless us with what you actually meant by your comment that, in this country, having a standing army was anathema at one point in time?

Or perhaps you were talking about Costa Rica?
    As someone living here, people LOVE the Blue Angels.

And most love the military.

The SF govt is a bunch of retarded attention whores.

San Francisco would be the #1 city in the country if it had some real leadership and common sense.

Right now, she's like Britney Spears (the classic Britney)...you'd eff her every day, but you leave when she opens her mouth to talk.
    Chris Daly (and a few other of our Supes) are "dangerous and unnecessary". There are some in our City Government who have leadership and common sense, unfortunately they are either shouted down by certain loudmouths or boondoggled by expensive "studies".
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    San Francisco would be the #1 city in the country if it had some real leadership and common sense.
    Would be? LOL! As much as the righties hate to admit it, it is the #1 city in the US!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lity_of_living
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    you leave when she opens her mouth to talk.
    Can't argue with you there:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=1
    At any rate, I hope she can rehab and get her brain functioning properly again, I do feel sorry for her.
    San Francisco #1 city? How laughable. Number 1 maybe in homeless bums per street corner, or in cost of real estate, or in major cities without a professional sports championship in th elast 10 years, but as for quality of life, please, get a life.
    Right wingers just hate SF purely because of its politics. The fact that it is objectively rated year after year by business experts like Mercer as one of the best cities to live in just demonstrates how out of touch some people are.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    Right wingers just hate SF purely because of its politics. The fact that it is objectively rated year after year by business experts like Mercer as one of the best cities to live in just demonstrates how out of touch some people are.
    Forbes does not have San Francisco anywhere near the top, saying that places like Raleigh, Houston, Pheonix, and Atlanta are far better places to do business in.

San Francisco is a beautiful city and, arguably, the prettiest city in the country. Unforunately, based on my travels there, that is the only thing going for it.
    San Francisco is a beautiful city and, arguably, the prettiest city in the country. Unforunately, based on my travels there, that is the only thing going for it.
    Well its nice you complement it finally, but I cant get over the fact that you started this whole thread, and spent all this time bashing a city whose officials you had no hand in electing for decisions which had no impact on you, simply to (as evidenced by the title of this thread) promote hatred.
    So you started this whole thread, and spent all this time bashing a city whose officials you had no hand in electing for decisions which had no impact on you, simply to (as evidenced by the title of this thread) promote hatred.
    Haven't you seen his favorite site shown in his signature? Are you really that surprised?

Here is a fascinating snippet of just how wacky neo's hero is (you'll note the extreme stretching and lengths he goes to in order to make his neo-whacko point):

But even with the new wording, I don’t think Mark Singer sounds any more sympathetic.

A good writer knows that mere juxtaposition can cause readers to draw inferences that the writer doesn’t want to explicitly state. In this case, Singer doesn’t want to come out and say it would be a good thing to kill President Bush, but here is what he said (at least as it appears in the MSNBC article as of now):

1. Singer says there should “probably [...] be a rule against” journalists making political contributions.

2. Singer then says, “But there’s a rule against murder.”

3. He then states it would have been good to murder Hitler (thereby implying that a rule against murder isn’t necessarily a good thing).

4. And then he starts talking about “feel[ing] good about participating in a get-out-the-vote effort to get rid of George Bush, who has been the most destructive president in my lifetime.”

Either the leap from item 3 to item 4 is an addle-brained non-sequitur, or Singer is saying (1) it’s not necessarily good that there’s a rule against murder, but there is and (2) that’s why I contribute money to anti-Bush causes. And if it isn’t necessarily bad to murder someone as destructive as Hitler, is it such a leap to assume that Singer would support murdering someone he considers “the most destructive president in [his] lifetime.”

I suspect Singer didn’t put those statements in that order by accident. If he’s smart enough and a good enough writer to work for the New Yorker, then I don’t think he’s careless with words.

My take on it is, he’s equating President Bush with Hitler and hinting that Bush’s murder would be a positive event.

By Evan Coyne Maloney
    Yes Evan, I'm sure that is exactly what Singer was trying to say.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Well its nice you complement it finally, but I cant get over the fact that you started this whole thread, and spent all this time bashing a city whose officials you had no hand in electing for decisions which had no impact on you, simply to (as evidenced by the title of this thread) promote hatred.
    I think you should re-read the title of the thread. If I was truly interested in bashing SF, I would have chosen a different title.

I understand that SF is your city. I, too, come from a large liberal city on the east coast. But what sets SF city government apart from most other city governments is their overt anti-military policies.

...which is a shame as SF, as does my hometown back East, has a long naval tradition.

And I am not sure where this anti-military agenda has come from. It is not even a liberal agenda because virtually all liberals I know of are quite proud of our military.

I call it the "bizarro" agenda.

I am sorry it strikes a chord, but I would say that instead of taking your frustrations out on me, perhaps you can constructively put that energy to use to elect some city officials who aren't so out of touch with the rest of the country and, I would say, many within the city of SF themselves.
    Last edited by gojeda; 10/09/2007 at 03:49 AM.
    Most of the truly "bizarro" goings-on in SF City Government that make the national press are the actions of certain Supervisors. They are elected by districts within the City, not at large. Given that a goodly percentage of San Francisco residents cannot vote due to their lack of US Citizenship, some of these Supervisors are elected by just a few thousand (<10,000) voters in carefully gerrymandered districts. They in no way represent the general consensus of the 750,000+ residents.