Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Jon Stewart is the best interviewer on television.

watch Chris Mathews of Hardball get the kind of reception he's accustomed to meting out. See him squirm as he's savaged while attempting to promote his book -- a book (that unfortunately for him) Jon Stewart has actually read.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    LOL! And here I was thinking that only the Republicans ate their own (so to speak).
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    LOL! And here I was thinking that only the Republicans ate their own (so to speak).
    Joe Lieberman and Cindy Sheehan would have a word or two about being "gobbled up" by their own.
    Actually I think Matthews worked for four Dems, didn't he? But I saw the Daily Show last night and agree, Jon shredded the guy and his book.
    Last edited by moderateinny; 10/03/2007 at 04:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Actually I think Matthews worked for four Dems, didn't he?
    Don't know the number, but at the least he was a speechwriter for Carter, an aide to Tip O'Neill, and for some reason I'm associating him with one of Muskie's campaigns.
    But I saw the Daily Show last night and agree, Jon shredded the guy and his book.
    Well, Chris Matthews is an old school campaigner, while Stewart is a bit more idealistic, so I can see where their opinions can be incompatible to a degree.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Don't know the number, but at the least he was a speechwriter for Carter, an aide to Tip O'Neill, and for some reason I'm associating him with one of Muskie's campaigns.

Well, Chris Matthews is an old school campaigner, while Stewart is a bit more idealistic, so I can see where their opinions can be incompatible to a degree.
    Yup, you got it. Here is a paragraph from wikipedia...not sure how reliable the info is but it sounds about right.

Matthews has worked for four Democratic politicians. He was a presidential speechwriter for four years during the Carter administration. He served as a top aide to long-time Speaker of the House of Representatives Tip O'Neill for six years. He worked in the U.S. Senate for five years on the staffs of Senators Frank Moss and Edmund Muskie before himself campaigning for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives, and losing his party's nomination to Pennsylvania Congressman Joshua Eilberg in the Democratic primary in 1974.

Matthews was raised in a conservative Irish Catholic household. As a young man he supported Barry Goldwater, but was inspired to become a Democrat by Eugene McCarthy's pro-civil rights and anti-Vietnam war platforms. Despite having worked for Democrats, Matthews has said, "I'm more conservative than people think I am. ... I voted for George W. Bush in 2000." Media Matters for America, a liberal media watchdog group, named Matthews "Misinformer of the Year" in 2005.
    Seems that he has tilted to the right a bit since his younger Dem days.
    Apparently, Ann Coulter took 2005 off.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Actually I think Matthews worked for four Dems, didn't he? But I saw the Daily Show last night and agree, Jon shredded the guy and his book.
    He did? I observed Stewart making jokes and trying to apply some sort of "moral" compass to a book that was more about the process of attaining a goal (as explained by Matthew himself). To me, it seems, Stewart kind of missed the point of the book.

As Matthews astutely said, "A book about morals has already been written. It is called the Bible."
    Last edited by gojeda; 10/04/2007 at 06:38 AM.
    Seems that he has tilted to the right a bit since his younger Dem days.
    Not particularly. He comes from an Irish Catholic background. It's going to influence him to be conservative in some ways and liberal in others. Think JFK.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Not particularly. He comes from an Irish Catholic background. It's going to influence him to be conservative in some ways and liberal in others. Think JFK.
    Fair enough. I think my point is that I am not so sure he would have voted for Bush had Bush been running back when he was working for Dems and running as a Dem himself. Something changed since that time...probably as he grew older and in light of the Clinton fiascos his Irish-Catholic upbringing shifted him right. I'm not saying he shifted hard right.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Matthews and myself have something in common in that we are both from the Northeast and Catholic. I do not think Northeast Irish-Catholics can be classified as overtly conservative.
    Quote Originally Posted by gojeda View Post
    Matthews and myself have something in common in that we are both from the Northeast and Catholic. I do not think Northeast Irish-Catholics can be classified as overtly conservative.
    Well since I am also a Northeast Catholic, I would agree. It's also why I merely suggested that Chris had tilted to the right in 2000 vs. where he stood while working for four Dems and running as a Dem earlier in his career. He is not a neocon or overtly conservative.
    Well since I am also a Northeast Catholic, I would agree. It's also why I merely suggested that Chris had tilted to the right in 2000 vs. where he stood while working for four Dems and running as a Dem earlier in his career. He is not a neocon or overtly conservative.
    Again, this harkens back to the ability, or the inability of some to discern shades of gray.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

I would characterize him as just left of center with the occasional vacillation to the right on some issues.
    He did? I observed Stewart making jokes and trying to apply some sort of "moral" compass to a book that was more about the process of attaining a goal (as explained by Matthew himself). To me, it seems, Stewart kind of missed the point of the book.

As Matthews astutely said, "A book about morals has already been written. It is called the Bible."
    You observed a fake news reporter making jokes about a self-help book and giving Chris Matthews a tough time at his expense for a few laughs on a fake news show. Matthews was clearly caught off guard, but I respected his ability to contribute to the levity and take Jon on as well. I'm not so sure Jon even read his book - which is why it seems he was so off base on the content - but it all made for good fun for a few minutes with a guy that usually the one getting in someone's face on his own show.

Jon turned the tables on Chris....I don't think we need to read anything more into it then that.
    I would characterize him as just left of center with the occasional vacillation to the right on some issues.
    Sure. OK. I would agree with that. But when he worked for Dems I'd bet you would have characterized him as "left of center". I'm suggesting nothing more.
    Fair enough. I think my point is that I am not so sure he would have voted for Bush had Bush been running back when he was working for Dems and running as a Dem himself.
    I wouldn't be so sure. Bush's campaign represented him as being something other than he turned out to be. From some perspectives, 9/11 can be given some credit for the changes. From others, one must chalk it up to politicians being politicians.
    Something changed since that time...probably as he grew older and in light of the Clinton fiascos his Irish-Catholic upbringing shifted him right. I'm not saying he shifted hard right.
    Neither am I. I'm simply saying that being registered a certain way doesn't give you the full perspective of one's political philosophy. I don't think he is/was any more right than he was before. After all, I know a lot of Democrats who voted for Reagan.
    I wouldn't be so sure. Bush's campaign represented him as being something other than he turned out to be. From some perspectives, 9/11 can be given some credit for the changes. From others, one must chalk it up to politicians being politicians.

Neither am I. I'm simply saying that being registered a certain way doesn't give you the full perspective of one's political philosophy. I don't think he is/was any more right than he was before. After all, I know a lot of Democrats who voted for Reagan.
    Good points Toby. But since we're guessing as to what is in his head, I'm going to guess he shifted ever so slightly to the right over the years. You're guessing that he has not.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    You observed a fake news reporter making jokes about a self-help book and giving Chris Matthews a tough time at his expense for a few laughs on a fake news show. Matthews was clearly caught off guard, but I respected his ability to contribute to the levity and take Jon on as well. I'm not so sure Jon even read his book - which is why it seems he was so off base on the content - but it all made for good fun for a few minutes with a guy that usually the one getting in someone's face on his own show.

Jon turned the tables on Chris....I don't think we need to read anything more into it then that.
    Indeed....which is why I am not quite on-board with the sentiment that "he ripped his lungs out".

Aside from the fact that they both seem to be friends, I do not think Stewart would want to alienate a good guest like Matthew.
    Good points Toby. But since we're guessing as to what is in his head, I'm going to guess he shifted ever so slightly to the right over the years. You're guessing that he has not.
    How many of his books have you read? How often do you watch his shows? What's your ethnic and religious upbringing? I'd rate my guesses as fairly educated.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast