1.    #1  
    Even though the ONLY designated video game console I ever owned was a Game Gear, Video game consoles is a topic I've always kept an eye on.

To be honest, if I was to buy a console today, given unlimited cash, I would buy a now-dead Dreamcast. The PS2 never seemed to live up to its claim, and eventually led me to hate Sony. (now you know) Don't get me wrong, it's a nice console, but the lack of anti-aliasing offset the more powerful CPU.

Now, we have this all "big n' bad" X-box coming out, along with the new Nintendo Gamecube. People are saying that the X-box will crush the Gamecube, and will dominate the gaming world.

When I saw the specs, I thought it might, but upon closer examination, I've realized that this isn't the big-bad console it's said to be.

Why? Well, compare the processors. The X-box uses a 733 Pentium as far as I am told, and the GameCube uses around a 400 "Gekko" processor.

As you can see, the numbers appear to be WELL in the X-box's favor, but there's something Microsoft doesn't mention or want you to know on the comparison site. That 400 mhz processor is based off of the blazingly fast one found in the G4 (As I am told), and has been modified strictly for gaming performance. While I obviously have not tested any of these consoles myself, if the GameCube's processor lives up to its credits, it will WAX the Pentium! (Keep in mind, this is possible due to the significantly higher bitrate and better processor design!)

Now once again, this is simply a prediction. The bulk of it will depend on the programming complexity / streamlined OS these consoles will use.

It should be an interesting match!
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Megahertz is not everything. CPU design is not everything. Look at the ENTIRE system, including the video processor, memory, bus, networking and controller options, ease of programming, and availability of good games. For example, Nintendo freely admits their Gamecube isn't going to push as many polygons as the Xbox, but they also claim it won't make a difference. Nobody will know until the machines and their games come out, so now is NOT the time to be proclaiming who's waxing who.
    Originally posted by dalamar70
    Nobody will know until the machines and their games come out, so now is NOT the time to be proclaiming who's waxing who.
    Your right, but I have a hunch the XBox is going to be a slam dunk success. Microsoft is investing heavily in this project, and the system boasts some very impressive specs. It's certainly generating lots of buzz, and that alone could get it off to a good start. So, out of all three choices; PS2, GameCube, and XBox...I'd place my money on Micro$oft.
    I frankly don't care.

I hope that the PS/2 dies, and goes to gameheaven. I want the gamecube to survive, and I look forward to that baing my main platform.. XBox is cool, and I love MS, and I hope that it replaces the PS/2 in the 15+ market.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  5.    #5  
    I hate the PS2. Not just because it's a pretty pathetic console, but because it killed a GOOD console.

Personally, I agree with almost everything you've all said. The Xbox will succeed because it's Microsoft. Not necessarily because it's an impressive machine, but simply because Microsoft seems to convince people that everything else is inferior.

But I'm not saying the GameCube WILL Wax the Xbox, far from it, I'm just saying that it has the processor to!

Although, I saw some of the screen shots from it and I'm not impressed at all. I mean, they're GOOD, but I'm once again wondering if this machine is as hyped up as the PS2, which killed the Dreamcast, something future generations will be puzzled by.

It's too bad Sega's out of the market .
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    what i find interesting is the programming aspect of xbox --if I am not mistaken, it is very similar to programming games for the PC .. I would think a lot of PC game companies will port their games to XBOX first due to the simplicity .. Console game companies may think the same thing -- why develop a game for just the gamecube when we could develop for the Xbox, easily port it to the PC and reach a larger audience ... checking out planetxbox.com, there are 68 games confirmed, 12 games rumored for the xbox as of right now -- granted, the gamecube has many more games announced for it, but given the fact that microsoft/xbox is a newcomer, having 80 games announced/rumored for the platform before being released seems impressive to me.

joe
    Personally, I don't care how fast the processor is or whether it anti-aliases or not. I want good games! If my original NES hadn't crapped out on me, I'd still be playing original Zelda in its 256 color glory.

I'm inclined toward a PS2 so I can still play all my PS1 games (and the hundreds of good games out there I've yet to buy). I think that fact may keep PS2 going regardless of specs, and I also think this is the reason why it killed Dreamcast.

Although now I also have to consider the x-box because Oddworld Inhabitants took Munch there...I also forecast doom for Gamecube. Mario can only carry a system so long.
    Originally posted by jenesis
    Personally, I don't care how fast the processor is or whether it anti-aliases or not. I want good games! If my original NES hadn't crapped out on me, I'd still be playing original Zelda in its 256 color glory.
    Amen to that! As far as playability is concerned, The stock Zelda and Mario games are second to none!
    I'm inclined toward a PS2 so I can still play all my PS1 games (and the hundreds of good games out there I've yet to buy).
    As was I. To be honest, I didn't know that the PS2 was a bad system. Could somebody tell me why? Maybe I should change my mind...
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

To be honest, I didn't know that the PS2 was a bad system. Could somebody tell me why? Maybe I should change my mind...
    Because it doesn't have a 700MHz processor and a 2 T&L unit graphics processor and it'll be a year+ old when Xbox and Gamecube arrive. (sarcasm) However, initial problems with delivery didn't help their image.

Personally I'm still happy with Prince of Persia on my old Apple II.
  10.    #10  
    If you ask me, Sega's got the best games by far.(Crazy Taxi, Sega Rally, hell, even SA!) At least I'm somewhat satisfied now that they're gonna make em for the GameCube.