Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
    I have never reinstalled XP over an existing old copy. Well, actually, I take that back. I did once and it royally messed up my computer.

Like I said, it's been done on four different computers and different configurations of each one. I think the original key may keep a record of some piece of hardware and compare it to that each time you install. I installed it a lot of times on one computer, then changed out a sound card or motherboard and had to start calling in.

Basically when you call, they have no record of anything that has happened with you in the past. At least that's what they told me. They ask if you have it installed on any other computer. You tell them no, and then you read them the number on your screen. They'll read you a long strain of numbers back, you click next, and you're done.

A few months ago, I thought a hard drive died, and I had to install it on an older one to save my files, then I was going to have to install it again. I asked if they could clear it so I can do those two installs and they said not to worry, just call and everything will be fine.

And each time, it took less than 5 minutes.
    Are they going to be this "nice" and let you ask for a new number with Vista or stick to the website policy, I wonder.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by heimlich View Post
    Hmm, the only thing I see are OEM versions that are less than $100. Don't you need to buy hardware along with it, and that software HAS to follow that hardware, even if it goes the way of the do-do bird??
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Are they going to be this "nice" and let you ask for a new number with Vista or stick to the website policy, I wonder.
    I'm not sure. I really don't plan on purchasing Vista any time soon.

And about your other comment, about public outcry (or whatever you put).

People are already leaving and going to Macs. I know there are some software that isn't yet compatible, but more and more are coming up ever day, and I'm expecting even more once Leopard is out in a few months.

The best part? The OS is only $129, and it's a full version, and there's only one version. And, at least with pervious versions, there's no weird activation like with Windows. You can install it onto the machine till the cows come home.
    There's no way that kind of monopoly can go on worldwide!! There will be a big backlash if they try that!! It's anti-consumer and anti-free trade!
    Well, if the rest of the world supports DRM then this will just be an extention of DRM. There wont be much they can do and it will be seamless to the ordinary user. Th only people that will lash out will be the pirates. Who carea about them?
    Europe does not like MSFT's monopoly, that's been shown before.

And good luck getting Asia on board, LOL!

And no it won't only be pirates, it could be independent developers also, who could get shut out of "locked down" machines! Not to mention consumers who pay decent bucks for a machine only to be told the software on it is locked down. Suppose you can't get that stuff off?? Like you already can't on many(Norton is one big example, MSFT's crap another). You see, this "locking down" could go way further than intended. It can easily stop competition and free choice. You could be prevented from installing competitor software, or prevented from removing software. Software from the big guys has already become way too intrusive on our machines. I'm tired of them telling me they're transmitting my info, meaning "phoning home" my specs, IP address and whatever else.

Do you have any real info on this, or is the "locking down" speculation? If you mean licensing to a machine, sure that's already started. But "locking" has a really bad feel to it. I don't want to be stuck with software or have manufacturers or developers tracking all the software I use and dictating the use of my own machine!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I forgot to mention that iTunes got the same treatment MSFT got, sort of, in Europe. Now iTunes has DRM free iTunes Plus!!

Good luck locking down software on people's machines worldwide! And since that's so anti-consumer and close to monopolizing your machine, I wonder if they'll really get away with that in the US also! The software controls you instead of you controlling it? No way!!

If a developer sees a website hosting a copy of their softare illegally the best thing to do is contact their web hosting provider and complain. Most hosting providers do not allow illegal hosting of files and will easily force the removal of the files or they will suspend the account.
    David Smith

Me - Treo 755p
    Wifey - Treo Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by freakout View Post
    Hiya null. (Tim Carroll here.)

Ryan Kairer has been PIC's Editor-in-Chief for quite a few years now. I wrote the iPhone-Treo editorial because he asked me to.

I'll happily pay for software that is reasonably priced and is not defective by design. Genuine Windows isn't and is, respectively. So I'm not going to pay. Poor ethics? Maybe. But frankly, mate, I couldn't give a **** what you think. I haven't stolen anything from you and nor do I intend to, and I do plenty of charitable work and community service in the "real world" - which I believe more than tips life's moral scales in my favour. But I suppose I'll find out when I meet my maker. If he/she/it actually exists.

Cheers,

Tim Carroll
    Associate Writer
    Palminfocenter.com

P.S. Palminfocenter does not support warez. All those quotes that you linked to were made in the news comments on the site and not actual articles published. As the site notes:
    The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. PIC is not responsible for them in any way.

What a disaster... for you to admit to being a thief then signing your name as a member of PIC.

Actually, in the US, PIC (Ryan) is just as guilty as you are. He asked you to write the article. He knew the contents of the article.

I don't fully understand your logic on this issue, but I hope it won't come down to you telling a judge why you do this... the judge would not understand your logic either. At least you know it is wrong, that is a good step in the right direction...

Considering the last posts on this subject (from months back) and the members on pic, I'd guess some have a lot of growing up to do....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I never installed Vista and had to reformat, so I can't say the other statement is completely true, but I do know it's like a brand new computer when you reformat and/or need to install a new hard drive. Maybe if you call and beg MSFT
    That should have been the end of the conversation right there... you don't know and it shows. But you can believe whatever you need to believe.

Beg? I've owned every copy of frontpage since it came out, and never once had to call MS about it after reinstall. MS office, yes... windows xp, yes. But that was after installing maybe 15 times (over a period of years) for office and I don't know how many times for xp. The lady (always seems to be a lady) always asks, "Why are you calling today?" You: "Well, I upgraded my system." lady: "okay, I'm going to read off a bunch of numbers, I hope you can keep up!" That is it....

Funny thing is though, I always hear these stories, but I have yet to hear someone say MS denied me the key... well, unless it was a key given to the entire dorm or illegal to start.

This thread is such a disaster on so many levels.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I had to call twice to get another number. Due to getting "your computer changed" message after reformatting then reinstalling on Front Page, and not getting the number on the XP CD to work. And yes, both copies were legit. And it was NOT after countless reinstalls.

So in my case, apparently the software thought it was different machine or something.

Oh yes, I forgot. I had to reinstall Front Page again, got the same message and just dumped it entirely for Dreamweaver, which at the time didn't have stupid activation where you had to justify a reinstall to the company. Best thing I ever did concerning website design software!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 09/10/2007 at 02:12 AM.

Hey I had to reformat my machine as well with xp because my version from dell all of a sudden couldn't be verified by microsoft.

The old days of Autodesk's Autocad and 3dstudio there were hardware locks on the software that went in the back of your serial port. Rumor has it they are going to go back to this to prevent piracy. I am legit with the software I use, but wasn't always years ago. I even use open office.

A few questions.

Why do people feel its okay to rip off music? I mean cd's never came down in price as promised, actually they have gone up.

Why do people feel its okay to rip off software?

The car you drive probably has problems, but people will tolerate that because they have no choice. You shell out $30,000 for a car with bugs, but people complain about shelling out a few hundred for a device or software that is buggy? I complain too, but "stuff" happens.
    They will need to stop selling CDs if they don't want people to share music. But then not everyone can go online to buy music. It may look like everyone's online, but I have talked to some people who are so confused by computers they don't even use email!! I couldn't believe that one myself, but it's true!

So either the music companies once again block ripping CDs(Sony tried and failed from what I remember) or take the risk of people sharing music, if they want to sell to the general public.

BTW, sharing music can also generate sales. I went out and bought a whole bunch of new dance CDs after listening to someone else's music.

They will need to stop selling CDs if they don't want people to share music. But then not everyone can go online to buy music. It may look like everyone's online, but I have talked to some people who are so confused by computers they don't even use email!! I couldn't believe that one myself, but it's true!

So either the music companies once again block ripping CDs(Sony tried and failed from what I remember) or take the risk of people sharing music, if they want to sell to the general public.

BTW, sharing music can also generate sales. I went out and bought a whole bunch of new dance CDs after listening to someone else's music.
    That's what I do. Why pay for entire cd if you may or may not like more than one or two songs.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I'll happily pay for software that is reasonably priced and is not defective by design. Genuine Windows isn't and is, respectively. So I'm not going to pay. Poor ethics? Maybe. But frankly, mate, I couldn't give a **** what you think. I haven't stolen anything from you and nor do I intend to, and I do plenty of charitable work and community service in the "real world" - which I believe more than tips life's moral scales in my favour. But I suppose I'll find out when I meet my maker. If he/she/it actually exists.

Cheers,

Tim Carroll
    Associate Writer
    Palminfocenter.com
    Your argument holds no water, but I imagine you already know that. Your response seems tongue in cheek due to your profanity and casual dismissal of the law. You came here as a representative of PIC and have done them a disservice with your flippant responses here. I can see why you would be frustrated with Heimlich but keep in mind that this is a public forum.

Quote Originally Posted by heimlich View Post
    Until then keep up your theft scoundrels. I hope you make a living out of it and your children too. May they all be pushed into the streets with the scum of society. Jail would be too dignifying. You should just have everything taken from you and your children so that you all starve to death; branded for the rest of your life.
    Now you just sound like a ranting *****, "an eye for an eye" is overshadowed by your diatribe. I don't like theft but don't believe software piracy means your children should be thrown into the street. Do you understand that by framing your arguments this way makes it hard to take you seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    The old days of Autodesk's Autocad and 3dstudio there were hardware locks on the software that went in the back of your serial port. Rumor has it they are going to go back to this to prevent piracy. I am legit with the software I use, but wasn't always years ago. I even use open office.
    Music production software does this now, using an iLock usb key. I must have it inserted to use my software and plugins.
    That's really annoying to need even MORE hardware!! We've got enough crap plugged in! I really hope they don't all go that route! What happens if you misplace that "key", which could be easy to do? Why don't they just put a hidden key in the registry?

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I don't see piracy ever ending. It's just not possible to prevent it. Even hardware locks won't work. There are some damn clever people out there, as clever or more so than those at Microsoft or wherever, and they're more than capable of reverse engineering whatever is put out to stop people copying software.

Primary reason you can't stop is that, by allowing people to run the software you are giving them all the information they need to bypass the protection scheme. It's just that most people aren't capable of that (usually because they don't know enough about computers).

The only way to stop piracy is to either: Give you stuff away and work on a donation-based income model, stop making software, or sell software that people just can't use.

At the end of the day, while software piracy is a crime, according to most laws, it's not the same as theft. The very simple reason is that with theft, if you steal something from someone, they don't have that item anymore. You do and they don't, and that's not cool. If you pirate some software, you now have a copy, but so does the person you took it from, as does the company that originally produced it. It does, in fact, mean there's one *more* copy in existence. Strange, but there we go. As such, it's a lesser crime than theft as the company does not have to produce more of the stolen item to replace whatever you stole. It can't be quantified, only estimated (as opposed to real theft, where you can tally up the cost of items you should have, but suddenly don't).

Having said all of that, I do pay for my software. And I doubt I'll be coming back, as it seems all sides are totally polarised here, and unlikely to change their opinions...
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Microsoft's illegal (as found by the U.S. courts) monopoly on the operating system market...
    This word has been thrown about so much these days by so many people who have not the foggiest notion of what the word entails. Unfortunately, some of these people are, apparently, judges who have a terrifically hard time using something as simple as e-mail.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123