1.    #1  
    I am running Windows XP Professional SP2 with all updates. I also have Zone Alarm internet Security Suite with an Active Subscription. This product includes Anti Virus, Spyware Scan, Firewall and some other stuff. The only problem is that this product has made my computer start up time significantly slower then before. After start up it runs fine, but at times it seems to slow down a lot.

My company gives it employees Symantec AntiVirus Industrial Client just a basic client no other junk. Hence, it is on my office Laptop and the office computer also is XP SP2, but I think there is no firewall installed. All it has is SAV and Spy Sweeper. Start up time is fast even with all the junk my office loads on it. My company also is a defense contractor, so if that set up is secure enough for them shouldn’t it be fine for me.

So do I really need a firewall scan?

Thanks
    XP SP2 has a firewall built-in. Its not as in your face as Zone Alarm, and doesn't alert you so pro-actively about outgoing connections, but if you do not download software from the internet and all your patches are up to date you should not need anything more than some anti-virus software.

Surur
    The good thing about Zone Alarm is that it works as advertised. It is a much better firewall than the Windows fire wall.

If you have a broadband connection, then you definitely need a firewall.

Ben
    Zone Alarm works as advertised and is well supported. I have used it for three years with no complaint. It does a better job than the default firewall.

If you do broadband, then you do need a firewall, the default one is better than nothing.

For anti-virus, I use Avant! it is free for home use.

Ben
    Gotta disagree Surur. You need a firewall to keep intruders from discovering your computer and network. And Windows "security" software sucks.

To the OP, yes ZA Internet Security is heavy on resources. What I do is just use the stand alone ZA Pro firewall and seperate anti-virus. The firewall Pro includes the spyware protector, but you can turn that off if you want to use other spyware detection software.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Gotta disagree Surur. You need a firewall to keep intruders from discovering your computer and network. And Windows "security" software sucks.

To the OP, yes ZA Internet Security is heavy on resources. What I do is just use the stand alone ZA Pro firewall and seperate anti-virus. The firewall Pro includes the spyware protector, but you can turn that off if you want to use other spyware detection software.
    I did not say one does not need a fire wall. I said Windows has a built-in one, which is on by default in SP2.

It works perfectly fine also, especially for incoming connections.

What Zone Alarm does (I used it for a few years a few years ago) if so-called 'security theater'. It constantly creates a feeling you are under attack by popping up warnings every few minutes for every mis-addressed packet. It also makes you approve each outgoing connection, as if that would really protect you from a sophisticated trojan with root access.

With Zone Alarm, you really get a feeling you are protecting your computer, which is what I guess you pay for. It doesn't actually do more than any other good firewall. Also you are more liable to get problems, as server software on your computer (e.g. skype) are designed to work with the XP firewall, whereas you probably have to do a whole lot more configuration to get the same software to work on your device.

Also, most people are behind NAT these days, which really limits their exposure to the internet. The last real Windows Worm was more than 2 years ago (software that spreads completely without human intervention), indicating SP2 with the firewall turned on is a pretty tight boat.

If you want your anxiety levels increased and also feel you are accomplishing something, get Zone Alarm. Else the free Windows Firewall will be perfectly fine.

Surur
    Those alerts are annoying yes, but let's say an unauthorized program you unknowingly downloaded DOES try to start. Zone Alarm alerts you to all software trying to start up. Fine with me! At least I know what is really running on my computer! It's the price we pay due to hackers and identity thieves!

The newer Kapersky anti-virus does almost the same thing, just as annoying but at least you have more knowledge over what is running on your computer!

I'd rather be alerted that something is starting to run rather than it be too late after it runs and destroys or steals data!!

P.S. Those Privacy Advisor notices you mentioned can be turned off. I always do. I just keep Program Control on.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 08/13/2007 at 05:38 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Your office PC should be fine as is because its behind your company firewall. The exception would be if you do something like install unauthorized software or visit certain warez sites that open a security hole in your PC.

Your laptop is a different story since it won't always be connected to your protected work network. That's where the extra security would come in handy. If possible, always connect to the Internet on your laptop behind some sort of router. This will help minimize the security holes in Windows as the router will be the 1st line of defense. You may also consider disabling the spyware and antivirus and going with a leaner program like NOD32 which is very fast and has excellent reviews. I have been using it for years without any issues.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I may try NOD32 again since I don't like the price of Kapersky for a home version. I'm using the trial version again, it's still good but still expensive also.