Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have 2 Vista ready laptops. Is it really worth the extra $200? I already have a new XP Pro CD I never used(yes it's legit) and it can also be installed for business. Plus a reinstall of Media Center(otherwise known as the precursor to Vista) that can be used for entertainment.

Can someone please tell me the true benefits of Vista over these? Thanks!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I use vista ultimate on my desktop with a TV tuner which had MCE on it. The Media Center is MUCH better but the OS is buggy in a lot of places. There are 2 updates coming out this month that fix a lot of the issues that have been circulating. XP Pro -> Vista is not worth it, especially if you use it for business and it is on a domain. But if you want transparent visual effects and more functionality get it. Also alot of software incompatibilities exist and a lot of programs crash. It's up to you...
    I've been running a Vista laptop since two days after Vista was released. IMO, not worth the money for an upgrade over XP. Not even close.
  4.    #4  
    Looks like I'll be waiting on at least one machine. The one I ordered may end up having Vista preinstalled though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    In my professional opinion, hold off on migrating to Vista until absolutely necessary. There is absolutely nothing I've seen to justify going to Vista if you have an already paid-for copy of XP. Granted, I focus more on the infrastructure end (servers, routers, firewalls, security, etc.) than desktops, but I've still yet to find a must-migrate justification to Vista for any of my clients.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  6.    #6  
    Thank you all for your opinions!

So maybe I should dual boot XP on the dual core laptop that may come with Vista?

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Thank you all for your opinions!

So maybe I should dual boot XP on the dual core laptop that may come with Vista?
    Why would you dual boot 2 versions of Windows ???

what advantage are you getting ??

if you run some kind of semi-exotic hardware/software i.e. video editing, or maybe some specialized graphics or CAD niche where Vista drivers are not available -- absolutely stay with XP. If you're hardware lacks graphics power or ram, stay with XP. If you already have XP, in most every scenerio for now, stay with XP.

If you're system came preloaded with Vista, run it with the applications that you need and use.

If you can get your printers and other hardware and software to work, you don't mind the stupid user control stuff, and the flashy translucent graphics doesn't suck you down, stay with Vista.

Dual booting is for linux.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Well, there are plenty of compatibility issues with Vista, so XP could come in handy, but I wouldn't dual boot myself.

For me, there is the well-known incompatibility with Palm desktop/install software. I also owned some "U3" flash drives (Sandisk Cruzer Micros). Great flash drives but Vista couldn't grok the U3. Had to remove the U3 support from the drives using a special removal tool that I ran on my XP desktop.

I'm sure there are other minor incompatibilities that I don't remember at the moment. Vista has some nice toys, but the aggravation of these issues makes it an extremely questionable "upgrade".
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Why would you dual boot 2 versions of Windows ???
    what advantage are you getting ??

if you run some kind of semi-exotic hardware/software i.e. video editing, or maybe some specialized graphics or CAD niche where Vista drivers are not available -- absolutely stay with XP. If you're hardware lacks graphics power or ram, stay with XP. If you already have XP, in most every scenerio for now, stay with XP.

If you're system came preloaded with Vista, run it with the applications that you need and use.

If you can get your printers and other hardware and software to work, you don't mind the stupid user control stuff, and the flashy translucent graphics doesn't suck you down, stay with Vista.

Dual booting is for linux.
    The multimedia of Vista and the stability(such as it is) of XP.

I got the RAM and graphics for Vista and wanted to see if it was really any better than Media Center. I watch a lot of TV/video and listen to a lot of music on the computer.

But I need many things to just work and I know Vista still may have problems with compatibility. I was thinking of running both on the same machine for those reasons.

I haven't completely ordered the new one yet, so we'll see. But they simply refuse to send out the new ones with nothing but Vista.

I've had a dual boot xp and vista machine since vista was released. I boot into vista to test software and to fuss around in the new OS.

Figure I'll switch over to vista once I need to reinstall xp or SP1 is released, whichever is sooner. I can't find anything wrong with vista so far... most of my software loads and the OS is plenty fast... dunno what it has over xp though. Even when I move to vista, I'll still have xp in a virtual machine someplace or another.

Vista is a good os, and plenty of my family and friends have switched over to it without issue. I think my main reason for not switching over is the fact that xp is (still) such a great OS....

If you have a fast machine go with virtual pc 2007 (beta) instead of a dual boot...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Also if you do an upgrade from xp to vista your computer will die... the upgrade screws EVERYTHING up... you MUST do a clean install
  12.    #12  
    I was going to do that on one laptop anyway. I may bite the bullet today. You all have until about 5pm to talk me out of it, LOL!

Vista isn't getting a good rap here, LOL! I am chicken. Maybe someone can offer how to install properly for a dual boot? I have dual hard drives also, on one laptop. The one I'm ordering may or may not have dual drives.

Thanks again for all your help everyone!

I was going to do that on one laptop anyway. I may bite the bullet today. You all have until about 5pm to talk me out of it, LOL!

Vista isn't getting a good rap here, LOL! I am chicken. Maybe someone can offer how to install properly for a dual boot? I have dual hard drives also, on one laptop. The one I'm ordering may or may not have dual drives.

Thanks again for all your help everyone!
    Go for it... vista install will setup dual boot for you... there is something you have to do, but I forget what it was though... research "vista dual boot setup" to make sure. Mine was fairly easy, did not have to setup partitions or anything stupid like that......
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  14.    #14  
    I talked to someone today who said Vista verified his machine as qualified for install, but then froze at 51% of "copying files" three times, even while on MSFT's tech support line. He said MSFT had to return his money because he couldn't even get to the verification code.
    And now his machine runs much slower after trying to install Vista.
    He was completely independent of any tech company, so he was unbiased IMO.

So I never went to get the software.

Can anyone say ANYTHING positive about Vista, beside theog(he seems to know what he's doing, not so for me)? Otherwise it'll be another year of XP for me.

I talked to someone today who said Vista verified his machine as qualified for install, but then froze at 51% of "copying files" three times, even while on MSFT's tech support line. He said MSFT had to return his money because he couldn't even get to the verification code.
    And now his machine runs much slower after trying to install Vista.
    He was completely independent of any tech company, so he was unbiased IMO.

So I never went to get the software.

Can anyone say ANYTHING positive about Vista, beside theog(he seems to know what he's doing, not so for me)? Otherwise it'll be another year of XP for me.

Your friend had issues because they were upgrading to vista.... you don't want to do that! You want to do a clean install.

Even if you purchase the upgrade, you can still do a clean install, you can search "clean install vista" to learn how. Something like: http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/28/p...-upgrade-disc/

I've never done that myself, as I purchase cheap OEM versions... I've used these for years without issue.

Also, just because vista "can" install, does not mean you "should" install... I would only recommend a system that has a dual core chip, 2 gb of ram, and at least a 128 dedicated vid card as a min system for vista. If upgrading, check to ensure you are able to get drivers for the computer hardware... to many attempt to upgrade, then find out their mobo/vid card/sound card is missing drivers.

For most, I recommend staying with xp until you need a new computer.... even then, make sure your new computer is up to spec... I've seen an entire row of computers at Circuit City that were "crappy" but were being sold. I could not believe they were selling computers with only 512 mb of ram with vista on them and 64 mb vid cards. I was like, "What the h*."

If you wait another year with xp, vista sp1 will be out and new computer specs will improve... that would be a good time to go vista, if you don't know what you are doing (you said that, not me.. )
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I use vista ultimate on my desktop with a TV tuner which had MCE on it. The Media Center is MUCH better but the OS is buggy in a lot of places. There are 2 updates coming out this month that fix a lot of the issues that have been circulating. XP Pro -> Vista is not worth it, especially if you use it for business and it is on a domain. But if you want transparent visual effects and more functionality get it. Also alot of software incompatibilities exist and a lot of programs crash. It's up to you...
    Or get ubuntu linux with compiz fusion

I think I'll wait until 2008 myself to get Vista - tried it via emulation and too much software I use at work just doesn't work properly...
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Your friend had issues because they were upgrading to vista.... you don't want to do that! You want to do a clean install.

Even if you purchase the upgrade, you can still do a clean install, you can search "clean install vista" to learn how. Something like: http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/28/p...-upgrade-disc/

I've never done that myself, as I purchase cheap OEM versions... I've used these for years without issue.

Also, just because vista "can" install, does not mean you "should" install... I would only recommend a system that has a dual core chip, 2 gb of ram, and at least a 128 dedicated vid card as a min system for vista. If upgrading, check to ensure you are able to get drivers for the computer hardware... to many attempt to upgrade, then find out their mobo/vid card/sound card is missing drivers.

For most, I recommend staying with xp until you need a new computer.... even then, make sure your new computer is up to spec... I've seen an entire row of computers at Circuit City that were "crappy" but were being sold. I could not believe they were selling computers with only 512 mb of ram with vista on them and 64 mb vid cards. I was like, "What the h*."

If you wait another year with xp, vista sp1 will be out and new computer specs will improve... that would be a good time to go vista, if you don't know what you are doing (you said that, not me.. )
    Thanks! Yes, I definitely have no experience with Vista or Vista upgrading whatsoever! All I know are the required specs. I get confused over all the conflicting reports.

All good new laptops have dual core chips now. But I do need to ask what a dual core chip has over Pentium 4 or Centrino for Vista usage. Is it the power or something else? Thanks!

All good new laptops have dual core chips now. But I do need to ask what a dual core chip has over Pentium 4 or Centrino for Vista usage. Is it the power or something else? Thanks!
    You could think of dual-core as having two brains... if you had two, you could hold a conversation and do your taxes at the same time. Ok, that was lame, but you get the picture.

A DC chip will allow you to run MS Word and run nortons without the computer slowing down, for example. Unless you don't have enough memory... but most will not have a DC chip with 512 memory... that would be stupid.

In a laptop, the things you want to look for:

HD running at least 5400 rpm

memory at least 2 GB

DC chip at least 1.8... (intel is tops, but amd might be a good route for those who only use the net and check email).

Video card with at least 128 mb DEDICATED memory... although 256 is much better, but harder to find unless you go high-end. (NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS is a great deal, but mostly found with intel chips, from what I've seen).

Really have to look at the total laptop for a great user experience. You don't put $60 tires on a race car and win races.

You can pick a decent laptop for around $1200 to $1300. If you budget for $1500, you will have a laptop that will last for years. My laptop is over four years old and it still runs strong.. although, I need to replace the HD and increase the memory -- but that will only cost $250 bucks.. and that laptop will last another four years, unless a major issue arise.

edit: another thing you may want to look at is screen size. My partner has a 17 inch screen on his laptop. It was top of the line when released, and looked great. But on a recent trip, his arm was hurting from lugging that thing around. Heck, my 15.4 inch is heavy... think about that. With powerpack, laptop, treo, treo accessories, etc, etc.... a darn computer bag will make you look like an Army guy/gal going into the field. And make you feel like it too!
    Last edited by theog; 08/11/2007 at 02:12 PM.
    Rule of thumb: mediocre gear 2 yrs from now will kick the asss of today's best gear.

I buy good, but not great machines. (fwiw, my newest laptop has a 2GHz intel dual core cpu, w/2 gb memory and a 160gb hd. It runs (unfortunately) onboard graphics, has a 14" screen, and weighs 5 lbs. It cost me $750, but I added 1.5 gb memory myself )

I expect to replace my PCs & laptops every year or 2 -- so I don't want to overspend getting today's cutting edge hardware.

Most people would be better off getting something smaller and lighter -- rather than faster. They do not have applications that require intense CPU power.

And though eventually more applications will utilize dual core's cpu advantages, as of now few do.

Demanding applications -- like some photo or video editing programs, have, for example, been rewritten to exploit the dual core's power. But Office applications, web browsing, and email don't need dual core cpus, and their programs have not been rewritten to make use of them. Watching DVD's or listening to mp3s is also not that demanding.

But since you don't seem economically constrained, definitely get a dual core machine -- but what are you going to run on it ??

How much memory will you need, how big of a screen must you have, how long will you need to run unplugged, and how much weight do you want to lug around.

When I travel I may take 2 laptops with me -- I leave the faster one at a base location, and take the slower lighter laptop out with me -- 4 lbs is much easier to bear than 5. I also swear by these ultra light usb powered hard drives from WD -- a 160gb drive weighs around 4 ounces.
    Last edited by BARYE; 08/12/2007 at 10:15 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    The only reason I'm still using Vista is the Readyboost feature.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast