Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    3 years old
    If it's 3 years old, where did you find them? I can't find Vista updates under my model on Toshiba's support site.

Got a whole batch of XP updates from MSFT yesterday though. I wish they'd throw in a Vista update patch, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    My new laptop is coming with Vista Ultimate, for me it will basically just be for the graphics and a new interface.

If you just want the graphics, I suggest downloading this. I'm running it on my current laptop and desktop and it makes me feel like I have Vista lol

If anyone wants a brand new LICENSED issue of Vista Ultimate, let me know; I get it relatively cheap at my school (assuming they'll let me purchase multiple copies). PM me if interested.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    more on Vista's advanced features:

...Content protection features in Windows Vista are preventing customers from playing high-quality video ...

...Vista requires premium content like high-definition movies to be degraded in quality when sent to high-quality outputs, so users are seeing status codes that say "graphics OPM resolution too high."

While Microsoft's intent is to protect commercial content, home movies are increasingly being shot in high definition, Gutmann said. Many users are finding they can't play any content if it's considered "premium."

"This is not commercial HD content being blocked, this is the users' own content,"

...Gutmann's paper called Vista's content protection rules "the longest suicide note in history."

...The protections allow copyright holders to prevent video from being played in high definition unless users have equipment that supports the High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) digital rights management system developed by Intel. If PC users have graphics cards with video connections that don't support HDCP, they are out of luck.

..."It's taking this open architecture that IBM created 25 years ago and making it closed again," he said.

... numerous features of Vista that he says are frustrating customers and programmers. New functionality related to content protection makes it hard to develop new drivers, he said. When ATI was finally able to ship Vista drivers, they crashed Windows, and Dell and Gateway had to delay Vista upgrades because they couldn't get working drivers, he said.

Gutmann said hardware costs will increase because vendors can't provide Vista-approved security functionality unless Hollywood studios like MGM, 20th Century Fox and Disney grant written approval saying the content security meets their standards.

...all the extra encryption required to meet Vista's content protection standards means some computer components can never enter power-saving mode, he said. Thus, when you play a movie your CPU keeps running at full steam, he said. The extra power demands make it hard to reduce electricity usage.

...The encryption requirements render high-end graphics processing units less effective, he said, because the best of those products emphasize graphics performance over content protection. On Vista, US$100-video cards can thus outperform those that cost $1,000.

original article:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,135814/article.html
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  4.    #44  
    I've heard that before. Is there truth to that? Anyone here with Vista try downloading non DRM music? Or uploading their own home made HD movies?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I've heard that before. Is there truth to that? Anyone here with Vista try downloading non DRM music? Or uploading their own home made HD movies?
    No, some people are full of it... I just recorded a vhs home video of my cousin playing the drums on my vista machine and recorded it to dvd... played "Tears of the Sun" earlier, played a backup of AC/DC Back in Black a while ago.

edit: ahh... it was a post from pcworld... the leading authority on pc matters. lol hmm... Phone Diva, I don't know about hd movies... if you are into hd, then you more than likely have the high def card... far as developers, I love vista.... some things to overcome, but for the most part, vista is great to work with.

I have some issues with vista, but drm is not one of them... heck, the most heavily drm crap you can buy is the most popular.... iTunes anyone? I've not had an issue playing anything yet... everything that worked in xp seems to work in vista just fine...
    Last edited by theog; 08/22/2007 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Add more BS.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001

My copy of Vista remains in its pristine, uncorrupting, still shrink wrapped state -- so I'm really not much help, sorry.

Almost by definition, NON-DRM music should not be flagged by vista since its without the DRM flags.

If you attempt to rip a CD which has protected tracks you might begin to have issues. (those are sometimes DRMed).

I don't know anyone doing HD editing on a vista pc. Maybe there are millions of them around -- I haven't met them yet.

FWIW, though I normally shoot HDV, I usually digitize the HDV as SD.

Down converting makes it easier to edit -- especially because its normally going to end up uploaded as a web file and made into a DVD.
    If it's 3 years old, where did you find them? I can't find Vista updates under my model on Toshiba's support site.

Got a whole batch of XP updates from MSFT yesterday though. I wish they'd throw in a Vista update patch, LOL!
    I went under my laptops support page (Tecra M4) and changed the OS to Windows Vista instead of XP...
  8.    #48  
    You got lucky. My model isn't on their upgrade list. I did find Vista drivers, but no support for my 2005 model, only the 2006 models.

they are discussing XP or Vista for video editing on this site:

http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=2015

most everyone confirms what I said earlier: Vista is not ready for serious use
  10.    #50  
    If that's really true then MSFT is a bit like Palm, releasing stuff half baked. And they had about 7 years to get it right?

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    they are discussing XP or Vista for video editing on this site:

http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=2015

most everyone confirms what I said earlier: Vista is not ready for serious use
    That thread said nothing. Well, except Vista 64 has driver issues... naw, you don't say?

I don't get why you posted that thread... it backs up nothing you said.

Well, phone diva, I guess it depends on how you define "half-baked." What exactly are you having trouble with?

Even BARYE says his vista is still in the wrap but keeps posting how bad it is.... I guess I can mention that the new Ferrari is a pos and does not handle very well... even though I have not drove it yet. My friends said it, so it MUST be true. Geee
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  12.    #52  
    Well since I don't have it due to conflicting reports as to how Vista ready my laptop really is(apparently MSFT and Toshiba don't agree), so I have to just go get a new one for $2500 ; I have been looking at lots of reviews and Vista seems like it may need a Service Pack already IMO.

Maybe you're correct that all the problems are on upgraded machines, but seriously why release upgrade software if it makes things worse when you upgrade? And at about $175-$250 at that?

Didn't they learn from XP Service Pack 2? That Service Pack practically admits they didn't release XP fully cooked either! So we have to go through this again, huh?

I admit it's pretty, but for that much money and that one computer restriction, I'd be really unhappy about issues.

Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    That thread said nothing. Well, except Vista 64 has driver issues... naw, you don't say?

I don't get why you posted that thread... it backs up nothing you said.

Well, phone diva, I guess it depends on how you define "half-baked." What exactly are you having trouble with?

Even BARYE says his vista is still in the wrap but keeps posting how bad it is.... I guess I can mention that the new Ferrari is a pos and does not handle very well... even though I have not drove it yet. My friends said it, so it MUST be true. Geee
    jeez -- and I wanted (really) to defend M$ ...

I won't presume to know what you use your PC for -- but I'm guessing that you aren't doing much video editing. I referred PD to that link for that.

As part of my work I have to deal with Vista which some folks have on their machines -- drivers are a continuing problem.

At some point I'll have to build a system with vista so I can more thoroughly know it -- I just haven't felt compelled to yet.

In their defense, M$ faced an undesirable dilemma -- either build into their new OS the option of absolute XP driver compatibility -- in which case most 2nd tier software / hardware companies are never going to write the Vista specific drivers -- or release their OS knowing that millions of their customers are going to be entangled in a mess of XP drivers that don’t work -- and whose unhappiness would pressure those manufacturers to write new Vista drivers.

One of the underlying rationales of Vista is that it potentially has enhanced security and stability over XP -- and apparently M$ believed that to achieve this they had to require Vista specific modifications to existing drivers.

Maybe they’re right -- maybe eventually the PC universe will benefit from that stability and its lessened vulnerability to noxious infection.

Maybe sacrificing the user experience of millions of Vista pioneers was necessary. Let us all say a heartfelt thank you to all the Vista pioneers -- we can recognize who they are by the bloody arrows in their backs.

Maybe in 6-12 months, when they get more drivers rewritten, when all the millions of user complaints get processed as “product testing”, they will produce a couple of service packs that address the problems. But if you’re a user now whose objective is to do stuff and not learn the intricacies of William Gate’s new OS -- why bother ?? what are you getting ???

M$ has been a rapacious, devouring, often evil beast these last 25 years.

But I secretly kinda feel about them the way I feel about the U.S.

Yes they’ve done horrible and destructive things, yes they’ve injured many innocent victims, yes they’ve been motivated by greed, hypocrisy, and avarice -- but ultimately what was the alternative.

Would a universal OS have arisen without M$ ?? Would Linux have arisen without a megalith to rail against ?? Would Apple have become M$ ?? (and would computers still cost $5000, and would only Apple blessed hardware be compatible ?).

The U.S. has been a sometimes destructive, avaricious, corrosive force during these last 60 years. But the world has arguably been better because it had a single semi-benevolent empire as sovereign.

Chaos, controversy, and miscommunication are too often the product of a multitude of competing states of relative equal strength.

Ultimately I’m kinda glad M$ exists -- that Gates became our Gatekeeper. Our generation’s Rockefeller.
    Last edited by BARYE; 08/27/2007 at 02:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Gates became our Gatekeeper. Our generation’s Rockefeller.
    I do light video editing... for business mostly and some family and friends vids, etc... not professional (in the sense you are speaking, I think).

All of my drivers work and the people that have moved to vista don't have an issue (I also do some hardware support, but not as much as I used to). No software issues right now and I own at least 15 to 20k in software (I build software, and use a lot of programs). Well, except for my shipping software -- the "help" file does not work. lol

I think MS has done more good than harm.... I remember the "dark years" before MS was king... what a mess. Like it or not, now business users can use software that works and focus more on their business due to MS products.... but this is off-topic.

Linux was able to rise (from what I gather) due to apache mostly and MS's own greed (license terms, etc)...

I would suggest to unwrap that boxed vista and install in a dual-boot... you will be able to help your customers better and get a better understanding of the OS and make your own observations instead of depending on the observations of others.... you might actually be surprised.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123