Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Well MSFT settled it for me themselves.
    Their Vista configuration update software said I can use Home Premium but about 10 OEM software and drivers won't work. I don't know if Toshiba will update all this on their end just so people can upgrade to Vista, so I may be screwed on the old laptop. And the new one that will have Vista preinstalled and with the right specs will be $2500(tax and warranty included adds up to about that). . Although a really good used one can be found for about $1500.

This decision will be on hold for about a month, LOL!

P.S. Toshiba's support site has no drivers for Vista on this model. XP Media Center will have to be it for this one!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 08/12/2007 at 11:41 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Rule of thumb: mediocre gear 2 yrs from now will kick the asss of today's best gear.

I buy good, but not great machines. (fwiw, my newest laptop has a 2GHz intel dual core cpu, w/2 gb memory and a 160gb hd. It runs (unfortunately) onboard graphics, has a 14" screen, and weighs 5 lbs. It cost me $750, but I added 1.5 gb memory myself )

I expect to replace my PCs & laptops every year or 2 -- so I don't want to overspend getting today's cutting edge hardware.

Most people would be better off getting something smaller and lighter -- rather than faster. They do not have applications that require intense CPU power.

And though eventually more applications will utilize dual core's cpu advantages, as of now few do.

Demanding applications -- like some photo or video editing programs, have, for example, been rewritten to exploit the dual core's power. But Office applications, web browsing, and email don't need dual core cpus, and their programs have not been rewritten to make use of them. Watching DVD's or listening to mp3s is also not that demanding.

But since you don't seem economically constrained, definitely get a dual core machine -- but what are you going to run on it ??

How much memory will you need, how big of a screen must you have, how long will you need to run unplugged, and how much weight do you want to lug around.

When I travel I may take 2 laptops with me -- I leave the faster one at a base location, and take the slower lighter laptop out with me -- 4 lbs is much easier to bear than 5. I also swear by these ultra light usb powered hard drives from WD -- a 160gb drive weighs around 4 ounces.
    You may not be aware but I do need the high end laptops, but refuse to go over $3000(personal decision).

I need Adobe products to run smoothly. Plus I need a serious Media Center type app, although there's a lot of freeware and shareware that can make Media Center useless. In my last post, I mentioned the cost of the new one will stop me from buying for about a month, although I can find used gaming laptops for about $1500, which have very good specs by today's standards. w
    We'll see.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You may not be aware but I do need the high end laptops, but refuse to go over $3000(personal decision).

I need Adobe products to run smoothly. Plus I need a serious Media Center type app, although there's a lot of freeware and shareware that can make Media Center useless. In my last post, I mentioned the cost of the new one will stop me from buying for about a month, although I can find used gaming laptops for about $1500, which have very good specs by today's standards. w
    We'll see.
    don't mean to pry...

but which specific Adobe apps do you run -- what are you doing ???
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  4.    #24  
    I edit photos and make graphics(such as they are) so I need Adobe Photoshop. I need Dreamweaver for website building. I wanted to try using Premiere for video editing. I also edit music for my own usage, so I need programs for that too, although I found 2 good ones.

I just need a computer that's good for all these things, plus I watch a lot of video and listen to internet music. The laptop has replaced my TV and stereo a lot, LOL!

I edit photos and make graphics(such as they are) so I need Adobe Photoshop. I need Dreamweaver for website building. I wanted to try using Premiere for video editing. I also edit music for my own usage, so I need programs for that too, although I found 2 good ones.

I just need a computer that's good for all these things, plus I watch a lot of video and listen to internet music. The laptop has replaced my TV and stereo a lot, LOL!

cool.

Getting a decently fast intel (2ghz +) dual core is easy. Put 2 gb of memory into it.

I would also get the best graphics processor that I could -- especially if you're doing any HDV editing.

I wish my laptop allowed for a dedicated NVidia GPU. Only some laptops allow for a dedicated graphics card -- and they are usually not the super light ones.

And buy a WD 160-250 gb USB Passport -- extraordinarily useful.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)

We'll see.
    At $2500 you can't go wrong... unless you buy from buba.

Shoot, in that price range, you can pickup a Hp 9500 for around $2000 and it offers a 200 GB hard drive that runs at 7200 (vs. 4200 or 5400), intel Dual core at 2.2, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS (256 dedicated video graphics), etc.

But for what you are doing, I'd go the route I went, and purchase a kick azz desktop for $1500 (512 dedicated graphics/dual core 2.4, etc) and a light laptop for around $1200 and still be on buget.

You can load the same software on both, and keep the files in sync with http://allwaysync.com/ . I know someone will say Microsoft sync toy, but what I found was when you get into moving large data over lan or wireless to a laptop, sync toy would 'skip' some files for some reason. Allway sync works works great.

Plus, with photos and video, you will find that 200 GB on a laptop will run out quickly. Trust me, I just purchased another 320 GB hd. Easy to upgrade desktops though.

But I guess it would depend on how much time you spend at home. I'm away a lot, but what I found was I was not really "working" on the road, and knew I could get a great desktop for the price of an "ok" laptop....

Lots of choices... but with your budget, you can setup yourself with a nice system or systems either way.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  7.    #27  
    No desktops, I need portability of some type. If I were homebound in one room most of the time, sure. I'm not at that point yet though, knock on wood.

HP laptops are the way to go then. Dell has desktops that are great and approved for Autocad and graphic intensive programs. I am typing this from a dell laptop with 2g memory on a vista home premium machine. Everything runs fine for me and I got it for around 1000.00
    When I installed Vista Business on a Aspire 5000 1.7ghz Turion 64 and 1gb of ram. I encountered many issues. Most issues were with sleeping/standby the computer would crash while performing that action and I would get a blue screen. Vista seemed to run faster the XP Pro, but it also did not work well with a lot of the software I had. Also Office 2007 Professional running Vista Business on older laptops like mine are very slow and it lagged when typing and right clicking to copy/paste. It did have a lot of cool gimmicky stuff like a reliability monitor. Honestly, I would spend the money getting Office 2007 and running it on XP Pro. My Vista Business sits some where in my closet to bad you cant return it and it cost a lot of money.
    In addition, I am disappointed at Acer for not helping me with Vista because they told me that they can only offer support for the OS that came with the computer or that is in the same family, Pro, Home, Media, etc or an OS that is listed on the device “Designed for Windows…”. Doesn’t Dell, HP and Gateway help people with there computer regardless of the OS as long as it carries there brand?
  10.    #30  
    I think you will need more RAM. Vista eats RAM from what I understand. Regardless of MSFT claiming all you need is 1GB minimum and the manufacturers cheapening out on 1GB, 2GB is probably the true minimum!

Two is more than enough with vista. Unless of course you go to the 64 bit operating system, then you can go with 4. Vista 32 bit would only use 3gig of the 4 gig of memory.
  12.    #32  
    Vista Business and Ultimate are heavier, aren't they? I wanted to try Ultimate but it looks like a memory hog.

Quote Originally Posted by integra144 View Post
    Doesn’t Dell, HP and Gateway help people with there computer regardless of the OS as long as it carries there brand?
    No company will help you with an OS that is not designed (nor shipped) with a laptop. They might try some things... but not full-blown support. You should have downloaded and tried vista before you purchased it.... lol... and you need more ram.... lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva
    Vista Business and Ultimate are heavier, aren't they? I wanted to try Ultimate but it looks like a memory hog.
    I've worked with Vista Basic, premium, and Ultimate.... all seem the same, IMO. Then again, I was working with fairly good computers as well. Some people talk about the areo (that glass crap), but I can't tell the difference... I want to work, I don't care if the bar across the top is transparent... that is stupid. Let me customize it and put a running weather panel (or something else cool) on it, then we are talking.

Anyway, no, with the right computer, and enough ram, it does not matter what version you have. Plus, if you get Ultimate, you can turn off all the "glass crap" and other wonderful memory-eating special effects, to make your vista look like windows 2000 or XP. Wait, doesn't that defeat the purpose?
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Just for info.
    Just ordered a desktop from work through dell Duo core Xeon processor with 4g memory.....to run Vista Business. Should last me 2-3 years.
    Well MSFT settled it for me themselves.
    Their Vista configuration update software said I can use Home Premium but about 10 OEM software and drivers won't work. I don't know if Toshiba will update all this on their end just so people can upgrade to Vista, so I may be screwed on the old laptop. And the new one that will have Vista preinstalled and with the right specs will be $2500(tax and warranty included adds up to about that). . Although a really good used one can be found for about $1500.

This decision will be on hold for about a month, LOL!

P.S. Toshiba's support site has no drivers for Vista on this model. XP Media Center will have to be it for this one!
    Hmm they had vista drivers for my toshiba that came with XP and was not even "Vista Capable" but I got vista drivers running on vista ultimate just fine! Works better than XP somehow (lol)...
  16.    #36  
    Is your computer a year or under a year old? I didn't find any for my 2 yr. old model, even though Vista was talked about at the end of 2005. It's still good to go and there's no real reason to dump it yet.

Is your computer a year or under a year old? I didn't find any for my 2 yr. old model, even though Vista was talked about at the end of 2005. It's still good to go and there's no real reason to dump it yet.
    3 years old
    To Hell With Vista
    Quote Originally Posted by JOFYLA View Post
    To Hell With Vista
    Nice contribution....
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Vista seems to be another Windows/ME to me: got some good ideas, but looks like it was designed by a committee of marketing people. At some point it will be preferable to XP, but whether that's SP1, SP2, or even the next release of Windows, it's not at the moment.

It's like a slightly deranged lover that's gorgeous to look at but impossible to live with!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast