1.    #1  
    I, like many MN people, have been mourning the loss of Rev105 ever since it went off the air. So imagine my joy when I hear decent music on the radio again on 87.9! No DJ, but lots of self-promotion as "The People's Choice," and "Radio Revolution." I was a little leery--to be honest it sounded corporate to me (i.e. really *long* self-promotion). I called my friend in Edina (I'm in South Minneapolis, we're only about 5 miles apart), and he couldn't pick it up..

...This morning, station's gone!

...hmmm... Rogue Station? That would be awesome, but I don't know where to look for it next time, or when next time is, or what the deal is...

...so, anybody in the TC have a clue? First the Twins come back, now radio seems to be redeeming itself... What will be next: Jesse says something intelligent? A hidden, underground subway system relieves traffic across the metro? What?
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    ... What will be next: Jesse says something intelligent? A hidden, underground subway system relieves traffic across the metro? What?
    ...The Wolves make it past the first round of the playoffs...

I miss 105 too but I don't know anything about this other station. Please post again if you learn more.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    DON'T get me started on the radio situation in the Twin Cities...oh wait...too late for that.

87.9? Is that even on the dial?

We used to have a pirate station (and, for the life of me, I can not remember what it was called) but I don't think that is who this would be.

The lower end of the spectrum does not penetrate buildings as well, and is typically much cheaper to purchase because of that (hence all of the talk radio and NPR stations are on the lower spectrum) so this may very well be a real station.

Have you listened to Cities 97 lately? They picked up love-line and Brian Oak...what's up with that?

On top of all of this, the RIAA has just come down hard on radio stations that broadcast via the web. Apparently they may be positioned to collect PAST royalties on all music that was broadcast over the net. So not only is corporate america swallowing our local radio airwaves, but the recording industry is bullying there way into obliterating web radio as well.

Which sucks.

Support MPR and KFAI. It's all we have left.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  4.    #4  
    Also, Kuom.

I know that the station was broadcasting somewhere in Uptown.

Cities 97 is part of the ClearChannel Monster, I won't support that.
    Cities 97 is part of the ClearChannel Monster, I won't support that.
    I agree, but, to their credit, they did (maybe still do) have a GREAT overnight format. Lot's of great music, both local and otherwise.

I also forgot to throw in support for KBEM.
    -David Byrne
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by homer
    I agree, but, to their credit, they did (maybe still do) have a GREAT overnight format. Lot's of great music, both local and otherwise.
    Bryan Oake, the ***** of TC alt radio (but a great guy, the kind of ***** you trust, you know? ) has managed to get Freedom Rock back on the air Sunday Nights. Listen to that, it's high quality.

Otherwise I just use my wicked fast work connection to listen to KEXP out of Seattle. It's public, alt radio, and it's very, very good.
    All your stations suck. Go KDWB!!! B96!!! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Uh yea...I sure can't get enough of Tony Fly and Nelly.
    -David Byrne
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by miradu2000
    All your stations suck. Go KDWB!!! B96!!! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!
    ...that's not funny.

...seriously...

I don't even know what to say to that...

just plain not funny.
    I guess you just don't know how to appreciate the joys of pop music!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by miradu2000
    You're not joking, are you?

Listen: Pop music is designed for one thing and one thing only, to manipulate you into spending money.

..I prefer art to sales pitches.

Dont' get me wrong, much of what I listen to is pop, but I am contstantly aware of the selling and manipulating. And of course much of "indie" music is also money-driven, but it's usually fairly apparent on the face of it.

Now, I like b96 a little better than kdweeb, because they're a little less smarmy, a little less fast-talkin. But it's nice to have art that's made for the sake a person's/group's vision, not for the sake of tricking people into thinking they're having a good time whilst draining their pocketbooks (and their spirits).
    Sure I do. But tell me, what is the difference between KDWB and KS95? Or what's the difference between KDWB and ANY top 40 station in the country?

The problem with radio in the US is that it is NOT for the people anymore, it is simply for the giant media companies in the country to either a) push their wares or b) sell lots of advertising.

105 recently changed formats simply as a defensive move on Disney's part. It had NOTHING to do with what the people of MN want to hear.

This, of course, is not just a MN problem.
    -David Byrne
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by homer
    This, of course, is not just a MN problem.
    Right. Agreed. This is a nationwide problem that is a direct result of the Telecommunications Act of 1997. There are several articles out there that speak very coherently about this issue, my favorite is at Salon.com.

I do feel like Minnesota has been hit hard, however, given that we had really good radio before the merger-mania.
    *valley girl styl* Whatever! *valley girl style* There are so many stations to choose from! I can always find the best music on KDWB! NOBODY PLAYS MORE MUSIC THAN K!D!W!B! yeah!

I wantfreee stuff..
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff