1.    #1  
    did anyone here ever watch it ??

its been off the air for ages now -- and it was never more than an obscure cable backwater show even at its height.

When I first came across it I laughed condescendingly at this stupid idea of a TV show -- what was there to say five days a week, for 90 minutes a day, about computers ??? And what a dumb title !! Screen Savers seemed like a parody of the low cost made in the basement idea of a community access cable show.

Yet I inextricably got drawn in. The information was almost always useful, and while it was presented in this awshucks, disarmingly informal, humour filled way -- it could also be both intellectually challenging, and simple as well.

The friendship and affection between the on camera folks was real and unforced. The ring master of this crew of geeks was the gentle, generous, and unpretentious Leo Laporte.

His co-host was Patrick Norton -- a serious, knowledgeable guy who looked more like he was there to move the office furniture, than to explain tech.

The young Kevin Rose, initially a minor player, eventually had his role expand to become almost the 3rd co-host.

Morgan Webb, and James Kim were major contributors as well.

Kevin Rose, as everyone knows, went on to create Digg -- Patrick Norton was until recently the host of DL.TV, and Leo Laporte has his very entertaining blog TWIT

But there's no Screen Savers. No place where I could come home, turn on the TV to share in the virtual friendship and knowledge of my Tech TV friends.

BTW, my wistful recollection was provoked by the accidental discovery of Morgan Webb's tech blog.

(Sadly, James Kim, lost in the woods during a winter storm, died while searching for help for his family a year and a half ago.)
    Last edited by BARYE; 08/04/2007 at 03:11 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Actually, I remember it from when it was ZDTV's Screen Savers with Leo and Kate. The production budget was relatively huge by the time Patrick replaced Kate.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    The Buzz out loud daily podcast has something of a similar atmosphere.

Surur
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    i loved that show, i was just getting into computers at that time (not uncommon for the 60+ crowd at that time) and i picked up a lot of useful tips. one of the lady's erica (can't remember her last name) now does the news on cnn. i always thought she would go places.
    morris stalk
    Just listen to TWiT or Diggnation and you'll get your taste of TSS.

Revision3 is looking pretty damn good these days! The Totally Rad Show is pretty day funny too.

----------
    Oh and Patrick Norton is joining Revision3 as well!
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Those were the days of zdtv. The worst show was internet tonight. Call for help was great, so was Leo and Kate on the Screensavers. Even Gamespot? tv with Adam was decent. Didn't Jim louderback sp? have his own show as well? I remember participating online and getting pulled up on the stage to chat.
  7.    #7  
    amongst the inexplictable things for me about Screen Savers, was why it couldn't have flourished.

First with CNET and then with Vulcan Ventures (owned by M$ billionaire Paul Allen), it never seemed able to leverage what had become a growing and passionate audience.

When the Screen Savers crew would periodically make appearances around the country, ecstatic crowds would gush forth. Afluent, sophisticated Screen Saver crowds -- filled with both young single males as well as families with their children.

These were people who were a not an easily reached part of a very prime segment of the marketing universe -- why wasn't that potential exploited by better ad sales, targetting, and sponsorships.

Why did Paul Allen, who didn't need the money, cast off TechTV -- indifferent to its fate with G4?? Why did G4 (which I never watched) not see the potential of the programs it aquired along with cable slots when it bought TechTV ??
    BarryE,

What do you mean "Patrick Norton was until recently the host of DL.TV?" did he leave? I know his boss jim lauderback just recently left to be the head of rev3, but I didnt hear he also left.

Patrick has been doing some system podcast for rev3 recently.

Screensavers lives on in Leo's new Lab show from canada, not that you can get the whole show in the US legaly.

The Buzz out loud daily podcast has something of a similar atmosphere.
    this along with daily giz biz are the two podcast I listen to every day.

I actually got my email read on BOL a weeks ago.

god, im such a geek.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    BARYE,

What do you mean "Patrick Norton was until recently the host of DL.TV?" did he leave? I know his boss jim lauderback just recently left to be the head of rev3, but I didnt hear he also left.

Patrick has been doing some system podcast for rev3 recently.

what bigredgpk wrote is mostly what I've heard too -- that he's left DL.TV for Revision3 (a show I don't know).

A little curious if he left DL on his own volution or not -- maybe he was sick of PCmag ??, maybe better money at Revision3...

Just listened to the newest TWIT podcast -- something I havent done in maybe 6 mos. It was good, but no ScreenSavers. Patrick Norton came late but he was there, along with John Dvorak and others. Perhaps coincidentally given this thread, there were several nostalgic references to the ScreenSavers. They talked of one incident where Patrick missed a free dinner at some swank sushi resturant because he was stuck still trying to silverize a frisbee as part of a bet that he could make it into a hard drive ...

(btw, there's also mention of Dvorak being attacked by FSJ)
    i loved that show.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    what bigredgpk wrote is mostly what I've heard too -- that he's left DL.TV for Revision3 (a show I don't know).
    Revision3 is not a show, it's the beginning of an IPTV Network. They have some great shows on there, Diggnation being the flagship show, that have the same feeling as TechTV used to have.. Jim Louderback is also the new CEO of Revision3. Expect big things from these guys! It's like TechTV all over again!

Too bad Leo said he wouldn't join. He would rather do his own thing with the TWiT network, but good luck to him!

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about