1.    #1  
    I would like to secure the Windows laptops I have in case of theft or loss(at airport mainly, O'hare sucks). I'm on XP Pro now and MAY move to Vista.

Thanks for all the tech help here, BTW!!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I haven't done it since the win98 days, but couldn't you put a password through the dos menu so on startup it asks for the password?
  3.    #3  
    Any low level hacker can defeat the system password, I'm sure. I need REAL encryption.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Any low level hacker can defeat the system password, I'm sure. I need REAL encryption.
    I use the cheapest of the commercial PGP products, ie PGP Desktop Home, which will allow you to place sensitive files inside "containers", which when unencrypted appear as virtual drives. These containers can be as big as your hard drive allows.

If you pay a bit more you can have "full disk encryption" which I guess is more what you're looking for.

There are freeware versions of PGP around, but I think the ones that work in XP etc dont have the disk encryption option.

There may be other freeware encryption programs. PGP has a "gold standard" of encryption sort of reputation.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Check out truecrypt. It's free and is probably the best encryption app available. Also, check out the tcgina plugin for it.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Check out truecrypt. It's free and is probably the best encryption app available. Also, check out the tcgina plugin for it.
    Yes Truecrypt is great, I'd forgotten it was free. Its hidden volume feature is really neat.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks all!