Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    This may be a dumb question, so please bear with me.

    I have an older 12" G4 PowerBook. Since my model has been discontinued, but I still want to use it(it's in EXCELLENT condition), I was thinking of upgrading hardware. BUT I'm sure it's expensive and I don't really want to spend over $1500. Possible to get a new processor(this is probably the killer), video card(I only need 64-128 on this model) and 512 RAM for less than $1500? I know I could get a new MacBook, but honestly I don't like the body as much as the aluminum. Plus Intel graphics suck IMO. The PowerBook uses nVidia.

    Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

    P.S. I'm pretty sure Apple will kill me on the prices, but sometimes there are other sources for parts and labor.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    This may be a dumb question, so please bear with me.

    I have an older 12" G4 PowerBook. Since my model has been discontinued, but I still want to use it(it's in EXCELLENT condition), I was thinking of upgrading hardware. BUT I'm sure it's expensive and I don't really want to spend over $1500. Possible to get a new processor(this is probably the killer), video card(I only need 64-128 on this model) and 512 RAM for less than $1500? I know I could get a new MacBook, but honestly I don't like the body as much as the aluminum. Plus Intel graphics suck IMO. The PowerBook uses nVidia.

    Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

    P.S. I'm pretty sure Apple will kill me on the prices, but sometimes there are other sources for parts and labor.
    The processor is likely soldered in. The vid card is likely limited by the space around it. The laptop was designed for all available space. RAM you should be able to upgrade going by my experience with pc laptops.
  3.    #3  
    RAM is the easiest. But it really needs a new processor to run the updated OS, don't you think? And what about a 64 vid card? How much larger is it physically than 32? I'm going to be depressed if I have to sell this, you know people never want to pay anything!

    Thanks for the reply, BTW!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4. #4  
    LT, except for ram and harddrives. almost no laptops are really internally upgradable.

    This is especially true in regards to CPUs (unlike desktops).

    Very few laptops allow graphics card upgrades either -- though some do.

    (after I got my current laptop in January, I learned with regret that it lacked enough graphics power to smoothly handle HDV video editing -- and there's nothing I can do except to buy a better one...)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    RAM is the easiest. But it really needs a new processor to run the updated OS, don't you think? And what about a 64 vid card? How much larger is it physically than 32? I'm going to be depressed if I have to sell this, you know people never want to pay anything!

    Thanks for the reply, BTW!
    You're not going to be able to upgrade the processor. Powerbooks run G4s. Even if you could pull it out and replace it, an Intel wouldn't fit.

    If you were to sell it, due to it's size, the 12" PB's are still a premium for Mac people. You could probably get at least $800 for it, depending on condition. I still use a 12" PB myself.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6. swagner's Avatar
    Posts
    258 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #6  
    Unfortunately Insertion is right. You can't upgrade the processor. There has never been a G% made for laptops and the Intel chips use a different motherboard. I doubt you will be able to upgrade the video either.

    Here is some better news for you though. Apple is currently giving $100 off a macbook and $200 off of the pro for students/teachers. All you need is a student ID when you go to an apple store (bring someone with you if you don't have one). In addition, I got a $199 iPod with a $199 rebate and a $99 printer with a $99 rebate.
    All of it came to this $999 for a base Macbook, 4gb Nano, and all in one printer. The Nano got $175 on ebay bringing the whole thing to $825 plus tax.
    As for the video in the Macbook.. it is running Second life just fine so I am happy with it. The extra $1000 for a pro would have been a waste. If you are really concerned with the white, the black Macbooks are cool and are around $100 more.
  7.    #7  
    Actually I wanted a higher number G4 processor. The one I have is really low and I'm not sure it's good for all those updates to OSX. And 64 is now the minimum for graphics. I'd hate to get rid of it because it's that out of date. I still prefer the aluminum body over plastic and I really hate Intel graphics, sorry Swagner.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8.    #8  
    Unfortunately, I'm going to have to sell and get a new PC again. Seems like too much of a hassle.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Actually I wanted a higher number G4 processor. The one I have is really low and I'm not sure it's good for all those updates to OSX. And 64 is now the minimum for graphics. I'd hate to get rid of it because it's that out of date. I still prefer the aluminum body over plastic and I really hate Intel graphics, sorry Swagner.
    Sadly, I don't know if they made any faster G4s for you to swap in...you might be able to get a faster G4 by swapping for a 15in G4 powerbook. I don't remember the processor specs but I wouldn't be surprised fi they were faster or had slightly better graphics.

    If you max out the RAM you should be good for a while. I ran 10.4 on a G3 ibook, and while it did run slowly in a lot of ways it actually did far better than I had expected it could (and that was only on 512 or so of RAM). if you can throw a full gig into the G4 it might do alright...

    IIRC, the only macs that are truly upgradable are the desktops. All the G4 desktops and I am sure the G5s have all sorts of swappable parts. If you think you're going to want to do a lot of swapping thats pretty much your only option, as any small, light laptop is going to be entirely locked down for space reasons, as many have mentioned. And space/heat are conjectured to be the major reasons the G5 never found its way to at least the powerbook line...
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm going to have to sell and get a new PC again. Seems like too much of a hassle.
    Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  11. swagner's Avatar
    Posts
    258 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #11  
    Upgrading anything more than the RAM and maybe the Hard Drive is not usually done to laptops. As for getting a new laptop, The Macbook Pro's are expensive, but they are great machines. The standard Macbooks are not available in anything but the white plastic or rubberized black and all have integrated Intel graphics.
    As for the PC route, don't just look at the standard HP, Dell, and Toshiba's. You may be able to get more for your money going with something from Alienware with some cool styling as well.
  12.    #12  
    I really did take pretty good care of this and I know people won't pay a lot due to new models being out, and some are even selling those at a loss(look on Chicago Craig's List to see what I mean). Maybe I will try the extra RAM route for a while, then sell it.

    Thanks QF!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!

Posting Permissions