Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know that this is a pretty weird topic, but I thought it would be something totally different. What made me think of it?

I was on my way home the other day when I saw two "things" in the road. I didn't know what they were and they didn't seem to move so I thought it was trash. Not until I was up on them did I discover they were birds, a cardinal and a chikadee. One moved the other didn't and I squished it with my tire. I felt bad so I went back and said I was sorry.

I've also hit a deer, a cat and other animals.

So if you would like to share your animal/vehicle encounters, please feel free.
    Ugh.
    Umm.. where do you live. That might explain the vast amount of animals that you have hit. None for me here in Boston MA.

BEN
    Wow. This brings up some memories.

Once I was cruising along at 65 on an interstate. The guy in the fast lane wasn't going so fast and all-of-the-sudden he starts hitting his brake-lights, I immediately swerve into the empty slow lane just as a deer leaps out, hitting the guy in the fast lane. His car rockets the poor dear OVER my car as deer crap rains everywhere over my car.

I had a deer hit me once. I was going about 55 on a country road. A dear came charging across the road and side-swiped me. Broke my side mirror.

The funniest story has to be from high school. A friend of mine came to school one day and was really upset about hitting an animal on the way to work. I asked him what it was and he had no idea. He said it was some giant sheep creature. We later found out that it was llama!
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    your friend hit a LLAMA???

:lol:

I hit a dog once, but it ran off. I was only going about 10 mph so I don't think I hurt it much.

I also ran over a pigeon. It was standing in the road and so I gunned the car to scare it, but it didn't move and I hit it. I felt bad because it was flopping about in the road so I went back and ran over it again to kill it.

I'm a ******* like that.
    yeesh.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by creole
    your friend hit a LLAMA???

:lol:

I hit a dog once, but it ran off. I was only going about 10 mph so I don't think I hurt it much.

I also ran over a pigeon. It was standing in the road and so I gunned the car to scare it, but it didn't move and I hit it. I felt bad because it was flopping about in the road so I went back and ran over it again to kill it.

I'm a ******* like that.
    I don't think a mercy "run-over" makes you a *******. I've done it a couple of times when I've hit a something.

When I first got my '79 Merc Marquis I took it in to get good stereo put in. I got it back on a Friday and took it for its first break-in run. As I'm driving I notice a deer running on the right side of the road, and I figure it's intelligent enough to see me coming and stay off the road, so I (very unintelligently) paid little attention to it. Until it ran up on the road and stopped. I broad-sided him square right between the headlights at 75mph and he didn't make it to the radiator. He was in real sorry shape. A friend of mine and I went back to see if we could get any meat off him and the eye facing the vehicle was popped out, and when we skinned him his rib cage was shrapnel. His intestines had been torn so he had half-digested crap all over. Pretty disgusting, really.

Other than that I've hit a racoon, pheasant, skunk, etc. I always make sure the animal doesn't suffer after I hit it. All in all, I've hit very little considering the amount of driving I do.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    sounds yummy ****
    all around good guy

brandon
    drop me a line
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

I don't think a mercy "run-over" makes you a *******. I've done it a couple of times when I've hit a something.
    No, but speeding his car up to scare the animal away would qualify him in my book.

The level of disrespect most humans have for non-human life disgusts me.

Next time, try your goddamn horn or drive around it. Hell, if it's safe, you might even stop and scoot the animal away on foot. But then, goodness, you might be a few minutes late for your appointment at McDonald's.

Sheesh.

mc.
    Picture it .. Friday the 13th .. 1971 ... on the way to an Army missle base in Rhode Isalnd ... just a few miles from the destination at 12 midnight ......

a black cat started to dart across the road about a half mile ahead of me .... he stopped and turned back .. just as I get up close he decides to dart across again, but this time, I get him ... SPLAT!!! THUMP THUMP!!! I proceeded onward to the missle base ... dropped off my brother and headed back down the road .. not knowing what was there .. sure enough, sprawled all over the middle of the road -- KITTY SPLAT!!!!

now what to do?!? is there kitty guts all over my car?! or maybe cat fur on the wheels?! BLECH!!!!

i continued onward, wondering what stuck to the bottom of my car ........................

[to be continued?]
    The level of disrespect most humans have for non-human life disgusts me.

Next time, try your goddamn horn or drive around it.
    This is called evolution. It was a stupid pigeon. It didn't move when faced with danger. It wasn't deserving enough to pass it's genes on to another generation.

I have all of the respect in the world for the life of all creatures, but sometimes an animal (and this includes humans) is just plain dumb. Sometimes it is best to let them go.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    mensa...

it was never my intention to even come close to hitting the bird. It was merely an accident. I do have a high respect for life. If I didn't, I would have left the bird to suffer instead of finishing it off.

Plus, the dog story in my first post was a situation where I did everything I could to aviod the dog short of driving off onto the shuolder on the OPPOSUITE side of the road. It still ran all the way across two lanes to get in front of my car.
    Originally posted by homer

This is called evolution. It was a stupid pigeon. It didn't move when faced with danger. It wasn't deserving enough to pass it's genes on to another generation.

I have all of the respect in the world for the life of all creatures, but sometimes an animal (and this includes humans) is just plain dumb. Sometimes it is best to let them go.
    if you really respected the life of all creatures you'd see the stupidity of allowing intelligence to be the sole factor in *your* decision as to whether something should be allowed to continue to exist.

whether you like it or not, "stupid pigeons" have as much right to continue living as you do. just cause the bird doesn't fit your image of an ideal creature (not intelligent), doesn't mean that it doesn't have a right to live.

mc
    (warning: pigeon rant...)

nah .. pigeons do not have a right to live .. in fact, they are not even animals .. they are actually man-made creatures ... created by the US Government to annoy and spy on people ...

augh i hate pigeons.

all pigeons are belong to dead

yuck.

kILL THE PIGEON!

sounds like they were created for the two World Wars as a communication system: (from http://www.jamiegleave.freeserve.co.uk/facts.htm)

Racing Pigeons help greatly to win the two World Wars. They were used as secret message dispatchers who returned to their lofts with messages sent by the troops who attached them to their legs in small cases. Many provided important details about where the allied and enemy forces were. Like I said, you may owe your life to these!
    but their usefulness is now obsolete .. so we shall destroy them!!!

hmm

(rant off)
    Originally posted by Cerulean

kILL THE PIGEON!
    Absolutely, I agree completely. Bloody little vermin, disease carrying flying rats!!!

On with the original topic, whilst travelling along at approx. 60mph on my motorbike on some English country lanes I got side swiped by a pheasnt flying out of a hedge. The impact nearly forced me into a ditch on the opposite side of the road. Luckily I was on the beginning of a straight (hence 'only' 60mph , and there was no oncoming traffic so I was able to avoid actually falling off.

When I managed to stop, it looked like the pheasant had just exploded. There was blood and guts everywhere, all over the bike, the fairing and my leathers. My wife went ape when I arrived home with blood all over the place.

I didn't notice at the time but the bird must have hit my leg, cause a few days later I got a huge black bruise on my calf and was walking with a limp for a couple of weeks.

When I was cleaning the bike I found the birds head jammed under the petrol tank.
    Originally posted by Cerulean
    (warning: pigeon rant...)

nah .. pigeons do not have a right to live .. in fact, they are not even animals .. they are actually man-made creatures ... created by the US Government to annoy and spy on people ...

augh i hate pigeons.
    How about squirrels? Evil, plague-carrying creatures that they are, would you swerve to hit one?

Kev.
  17.    #17  
    Another one of my encounters:

On my way home from work one night I was quite sleepy. The sun was just coming up and visibility was so-so. I slowed down to about 40mph to make a right turn and all of a sudden a buck just dropped out of the sky and in front of my car. Honestly I didn't see where it came from. It's head slammed into the wind, err deer shield. I stopped the car and got out to see how badly it was hurt. The thing was so afraid of me that it dragged itself into the woods with its front legs, its hind legs paralyzed.

Funny thing is when I went to work that day, I told people I had hit a deer. Then somebody said, "WHERE!"

Has anyone ever taken home roadkill? Deer, possum, etc...
    I have a pretty good story about this. My step father was on his way home from work one night pretty late. At the time he was living in rural Indiana. As he came around a bend in the road, he saw a cow in the middle of the road. Since the road was bordered by rock walls, he decided his best chance was to go ahead and hit the cow. He did and needless to say it totaled his 1979 Chevy Luv pickup, and the cow. He hit it pretty square and the cow never had a chance.
    I've had the occasional bird fly into my grill, and a raccoon I took out @ 70 in my Torino, but the one that sticks in my head was when I was heading back to work after lunch one rainy afternoon. I was driving through some neighborhood when I spotted a kitten on the side of the road, just sitting there. Soooo, I slow down to about 10, keeping my eye on the kitten. When the hood & fender obscured my view of the kitten, I thought it was safe. That was, until I felt the thump.

That was the 2nd worst day of my life.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    broache...

My grandma lives in Evansville. The rest of my family was raised in Vincennes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast