Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    I need to wipe 3 hard drives clean of all info, so the recovery disks can be reinstalled anew. I asked a long time ago about this, but I didn't really receive helpful responses. Two are Windows and one is a Mac.

    So I'm trying again and begging. Please help, please!!!


    Thanks in advance!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I need to wipe 3 hard drives clean of all info, so the recovery disks can be reinstalled anew. I asked a long time ago about this, but I didn't really receive helpful responses. Two are Windows and one is a Mac.

    So I'm trying again and begging. Please help, please!!!


    Thanks in advance!
    Dunno about mac but you wanna google fdisk to clear the pc drives. If you're not sure how to slave them in a pc box and then fdisk them from a dos prompt then it might be worth it to take them to a computer store and they should have a machine to drop them in and uber magno-scramble pretty quickly.

    I assume the recovery disk you have contain enough info to get you back but you'll also need the operating system cds.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I need to wipe 3 hard drives clean of all info, so the recovery disks can be reinstalled anew. I asked a long time ago about this, but I didn't really receive helpful responses. Two are Windows and one is a Mac.

    So I'm trying again and begging. Please help, please!!!


    Thanks in advance!
    For your mac just use the install CD that came with your Mac and proceed to install the OS. When you get to the welcome screen for the install in the menu look for Disk Utility. You can do a secure wipe of the Hard drive from that program.

    Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

    Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

    Twittering about
  4. #4  
    to add to what you've already heard, if you have a copy of XP (or I assume Vista) it has FDISK on it. (I believe the sequence is to boot to the Windows CD, run the install, choose recovery console --- you'll get a c: prompt, then type: FDISK

    Someone else may have a better recollection of this if I've omitted any steps.

    Also, FWIW, if you are intending to erase a hard drive with the intention of givng it away, FDISK will not sanitize the drive -- any determined junior hacker can still recover files you thought were erased.

    Theres a free program called wipe ?? that can perform this task
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the info everyone!! So only the Mac CD has a guaranteed secure wipe?

    So the recovery disc on Windows does NOT erase files securely, just as I thought. Is there any way to wipe off files securely, but leave the OS on the PCs? Most people really aren't aware of how to reinstall an OS, I think. And it will be hard to give a computer away with no OS. I know of some programs that wipe the drive, but are they really secure?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #6  
    If you want to secure it, you need to wipe the entire disk.

    Try dban
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone!! So only the Mac CD has a guaranteed secure wipe?

    So the recovery disc on Windows does NOT erase files securely, just as I thought. Is there any way to wipe off files securely, but leave the OS on the PCs? Most people really aren't aware of how to reinstall an OS, I think. And it will be hard to give a computer away with no OS. I know of some programs that wipe the drive, but are they really secure?
    You can fdisk the windows os drives but will need a Windows Operating System CD to install an operating system on it to bring it back.

    I would NEVER let a hard drive out of my clutches that I had used without formatting it AND taking it to a shop that could degauss (or demagnetize) it. If you don't have an OS cd to give away with the computer, do the above and just tell the user they have to obtain a copy of windoze.
  8.    #8  
    That is what I'd like to avoid, nosy hackers!

    The included recovery disk should have the OS, right? I just need to erase personal files.

    So I can format it with the fdisk and then take it in to have it wiped clean entirely? What does that run, more or less?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion View Post
    If you want to secure it, you need to wipe the entire disk.

    Try dban


    I'll look into to it. Thanks!!!

    Yikes! Serious info on those pages. I'm going to have to be VERY careful using that if I do, LOL! I'm beginning to wish I was an IT pro!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 07/22/2007 at 11:33 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    That is what I'd like to avoid, nosy hackers!

    The included recovery disk should have the OS, right? I just need to erase personal files.

    So I can format it with the fdisk and then take it in to have it wiped clean entirely? What does that run, more or less?
    No, if your recovery disks are the floppies that windows prompts you to create when installing, I believe you also need a Windows Operating System cd to 'restore'. Although if you want to give these away, there is no need to do a restore, they just need an operating system linux or windows to go with them.

    If you want to be completely sure the drives are COMPLETELY BLANKED you need to take them in for a degauss.
  11.    #11  
    I do think one does say it will reinstall Windows Home Edition at least. I'm going to have to check to make sure, but I used it once and it did reinstall. however I didn't wipe the drive clean first so I can't be sure if it's a full version.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    For your mac just use the install CD that came with your Mac and proceed to install the OS. When you get to the welcome screen for the install in the menu look for Disk Utility. You can do a secure wipe of the Hard drive from that program.

    Timmay
    Thanks!

    If this is really all I need to do to secure the Mac for 2nd hand usage, then I will be starting with that. Simplest of all, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13. #13  
    windows restore disks typically include the drivers and programs that come with the specific computer the disk originally came with

    When most restore disks are used on systems on which they did not originate, they will either not install -- or require considerable tweaking particularly because of motherboard specific issues.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Thanks!

    If this is really all I need to do to secure the Mac for 2nd hand usage, then I will be starting with that. Simplest of all, LOL!
    Again, and I hate to sound paranoid, BUT if you have any personal info on that drive, have it degaussed before you give it away.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    windows restore disks typically include the drivers and programs that come with the specific computer the disk originally came with

    When most restore disks are used on systems on which they did not originate, they will either not install -- or require considerable tweaking particularly because of motherboard specific issues.
    I was intending to keep the recovery discs specific to the laptops they came with. One of them reinstalled Windows Home and I just need to know if the drive is wiped clean, will it still reinstall then? Most users probably do not want to have to go buy another OS. If the OS will not reinstall, won't it be harder to sell?

    However, I will get the drives wiped clean professionally also. Just need to know how much.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I was intending to keep the recovery discs specific to the laptops they came with. One of them reinstalled Windows Home and I just need to know if the drive is wiped clean, will it still reinstall then? Most users probably do not want to have to go buy another OS. If the OS will not reinstall, won't it be harder to sell?

    However, I will get the drives wiped clean professionally also. Just need to know how much.

    though Mr. Thomas is admitedly much smarter than me, I think perhaps what me and my evil brother suggested is enough.

    I'm not familiar with the specific program he recommended (dban) but I'm sure it works comparably to the one I suggested -- they relentlessly overwrite the disk multiple times with zeros until it is essentially unreadable except by the CIA.

    So unless you are a notarious international fugitive like me, I suspect this will be more than sufficient.

    After finishing the wipe, just perform the restore process which usually has instructions for doing a complete "destructive" reinstall.
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/23/2007 at 01:30 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  17.    #17  
    Someone told me deguassing will render the drive completely unusable. He said wiping and overwriting several times should be enough. More opinions please? I have no experience with this whatsoever! Thanks!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Someone told me deguassing will render the drive completely unusable. He said wiping and overwriting several times should be enough. More opinions please? I have no experience with this whatsoever! Thanks!
    Someone told you correct. Degaussing is only advisable for disposal of hard drives, not for sale/giveaway.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  19.    #19  
    Thanks! I'll be going for the multiple wipes. I need to be able to reuse the drives.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  20. #20  
    The more wipes the better as it lessens the chance of that data ever being recovered.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer

Posting Permissions