1.    #1  
    One of the best priced VOIP providers is going out of business. If you are a current subscriber (like me), check out the threads below to ease your transition to a new provider.

Fatwallet Thread
    http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...748582&start=0

Slick Deals "MagicJack" thread ($39 first yr, $20/yr after for unlimited in and outbound calls). This is what I am going with.
    http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=540976
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I was going to sign up with them after my Vonage contract was up. Oh well ...
    I don't have a clue what happened with SunRocket, but during the last half of the 1990s I worked as a National Affiliate Manager and National Product Manager with the same management team offering VOIP services to large organizations (nonprofit, business, corp, etc...) and to the individual user. During that time of working with the same management team, I officially worked for 4 different corps as one corp died and we tried again.

We knew the business opportunity was going to be relatively short lived (10 years from that time at the max) because we knew the Big Boys were gearing up to offer many services at competitive price points. For example right now with Qwest I only pay $20 a month for unlimited long distance anywhere in the US (I have heard this has been as low as $15 a month). I am currently a District Manager that telecommutes via my home office so nearly every call I have made on this plan for the last 4 years has been long distance. Opportunities like this makes the hassle of Vonage seem very unattractive and not really worth the effort for any potential increased benefits.

The competition is SOOOOOO tight in the telecommunications world that sometimes the only way to survive is to reduce the profit to practically nothing to stay competitive while hoping the volume of business will help make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    I don't have a clue what happened with SunRocket, but during the last half of the 1990s I worked as a National Affiliate Manager and National Product Manager with the same management team offering VOIP services to large organizations (nonprofit, business, corp, etc...) and to the individual user. During that time of working with the same management team, I officially worked for 4 different corps as one corp died and we tried again.

We knew the business opportunity was going to be relatively short lived (10 years from that time at the max) because we knew the Big Boys were gearing up to offer many services at competitive price points. For example right now with Qwest I only pay $20 a month for unlimited long distance anywhere in the US (I have heard this has been as low as $15 a month). I am currently a District Manager that telecommutes via my home office so nearly every call I have made on this plan for the last 4 years has been long distance. Opportunities like this makes the hassle of Vonage seem very unattractive and not really worth the effort for any potential increased benefits.

The competition is SOOOOOO tight in the telecommunications world that sometimes the only way to survive is to reduce the profit to practically nothing to stay competitive while hoping the volume of business will help make up for it.
    I couldn't agree more about the sustainability of the market opportunity. I tried using VOIP for my residential line and my wife could not stand it. There were always dropped calls, echoing, etc. so I ended up ripping it out and now my residential voice plan is bundled with my FIOS.

On my home office line though I do use Vonage and have had very good results. This wasn't true a few years back but the last 6 months I've tried them again and it really is seemless from what I can tell. The main reason I did this though is for virtual phone numbers - I love them. I have a number in Sunnyvale and another one in Cambridge, UK that both ring to my main line in NY. I also have a softphone on my laptop so when I travel I use their "blast me" feature and I get calls to my laptop while traveling across the globe. I could not have done this with traditional landline services.

That said I'd bet that guys like me represent very low numbers for Vonage so I think you are probably right in that they'll face stiffling competition from the big boys (never mind continued law suits) and that will be the end of them. Ironically....I almost signed up for Sunrocket as they also had virtual UK numbers. Thankfully I did not sign up with them.