Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    I've had it with John Kerry, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    I've had it with John Kerry, too!
    Tee hee.

Seriously....he is a walking yawn fest but I think all but 25% of the country now realizes that wind surfing, phony attacks on his three purple hearts, and his monotone voice were hardly a reason not to vote for him when compared to the buffoon they were bamboozled into voting for.

daThomas, yes I agree Kerry met my criteria quite nicely. It's a shame the American voter's attention span was too shallow to wade through the right-wing propaganda and equally a shame that Kerry never could seem to muster a defense - his campaign was a debacle. His best counter-attack during the campaign was actually a moment caught on camera muttering to some factory workers about the Bushies being the biggest bunch of corrupt liars he's ever seen (how prophetic his comments turned out to be).
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    You had it with John Kerry.
    You also had it with the following presidents: H.W. Bush, Ford, Nixon, Johnson, JFK, Ike, Truman, Teddy Roosevelt, McKinley, Harrison, Arthur, Hayes, Grant, Johnson, Lincoln, Buchanan, Pierce, Fillmore, Taylor, Jackson, Harrison, Tyler, Monroe, Madison, and Washington. I only included those who actually served in a combat zone.

For this year's candidates: McCain, Hunter, Paul (Republicans) - Dodd, Gore, Gravel (Democrats). Please note - none of the front runners served in combat. It seems that the American public (or the ridiculously rich of both parties) don't seem to care about combat experience in order to serve as the commander-in-chief.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    You also had it with the following presidents: H.W. Bush, Ford, Nixon, Johnson, JFK, Ike, Truman, Teddy Roosevelt, McKinley, Harrison, Arthur, Hayes, Grant, Johnson, Lincoln, Buchanan, Pierce, Fillmore, Taylor, Jackson, Harrison, Tyler, Monroe, Madison, and Washington. I only included those who actually served in a combat zone.

For this year's candidates: McCain, Hunter, Paul (Republicans) - Dodd, Gore, Gravel (Democrats). Please note - none of the front runners served in combat. It seems that the American public (or the ridiculously rich of both parties) don't seem to care about combat experience in order to serve as the commander-in-chief.
    from memory (not having looked it up) I'm fairly sure Lincoln was neither a soldier or in combat (unless you include his presence at a battle that took place a few blocks from where I live when the Confeds attacked Washington -- and where an officer shouted at him to: "Get down, you old fool !!")

Madison never served, and Nixon had a non-combat navy posting.

EDIT:
    according to some research:

during some turmoil with the indians, "Lincoln volunteered and served for three months, first as the elected captain of his own company, then as a private under other commanders. But he engaged in no actual fighting."
    Last edited by BARYE; 08/01/2007 at 02:33 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    from memory (not having looked it up) I'm fairly sure Lincoln was neither a soldier or in combat (unless you include his presence at a battle that took place a few blocks from where I live when the Confeds attacked Washington -- and where an officer shouted at him to: "Get down, you old fool !!")

Madison never served, and Nixon had a non-combat navy posting.

EDIT:
    according to some research:

during some turmoil with the indians, "Lincoln volunteered and served for three months, first as the elected captain of his own company, then as a private under other commanders. But he engaged in no actual fighting."
    From Northern Illinois University - "In May of 1832 Sac and Fox Indians under the leadership of Black Hawk left the Iowa territory and returned to their homes across the Mississippi River in northern Illinois. These Native Americans had lost their Illinois lands in a disputed treaty signed in St. Louis in 1804. Their return to northern Illinois sparked widespread panic among white settlers, and Illinois Governor Reynolds quickly called up the militia, which included a young Abraham Lincoln." I never mentioned that he engaged in combat, but that he served in a combat zone during the Black Hawk War of 1832.

From the U.S. Naval Historical Center - "Nixon began aviation indoctrination training at the Naval Training School, Naval Air Station in Quonset Point, Rhode Island. After completing the course in October 1942, he went to the Naval Reserve Aviation Base in Ottumwa, Iowa, where he served as Aide to the Executive Officer until May 1943. Looking for more excitement, Nixon volunteered for sea duty and reported to Commander Air Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet where he was assigned as Officer in Charge of the South Pacific Combat Air Transport Command at Guadalcanal in the Solomons and later at Green Island." Again, combat zone.

You are correct about Madison, I did not mean to include him. He did enlist, but was forced to drop out before his company was called to active duty.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post

thanks for the historical information! Its quite interesting. I think that someone who has no war experience and is not a war monger is ok. Its the war mongers who avoided war themselves but push others into it without good reason that I consider dangerous. Anyway, I used to train with medivac Huey pilots, so I appreciate both the risks as well as the enjoyment of helicopters, if you are doing that for our country, more power to you!
    FWIW - here is an interesting read. http://www.awolbush.com/whoserved.html

Warning: It is clearly a very left-winged site about Bush's missing year in the USAF Reserves. I haven't read through the rest of the site to decide whether it is largely based on facts - most likely there are facts, but they are selectively chosen facts.

That said, the page with the "who served" seems to be on track. But if there is one posted elsewhere from the right side of the isle I'd love to read it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12