Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This half a trillion dollar, thousand of lives, lost nightmare seems like it is starting to come to an end. And with it an end to the Iraq war promoting US hatred and more terrorism abroad. Its going to take time, but even the GOP is realizing it now. Good news for America.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/...ap3904401.html
    It's just a shame people have to be up for re-election before they decide to do the right thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iago View Post
    It's just a shame people have to be up for re-election before they decide to do the right thing.
    Only time will tell if getting out is the right thing. Perhaps some will be up for re-election when that given time has passed.
    [QUOTE=sxtg;1307147]Only time will tell if getting out is the right thing. Perhaps some will be up for re-election when that given time has passed.[/QUOTE

There is no "right" thing at this point. Creating the power vacuum and not filling it ourselves nor having a plan to restore order/authority created the power struggle which is now and will continue to unfold once we are gone.

Egos cast a die years ago and man were they wrong.
    [QUOTE=daThomas;1307170]
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    Only time will tell if getting out is the right thing. Perhaps some will be up for re-election when that given time has passed.[/QUOTE

There is no "right" thing at this point. Creating the power vacuum and not filling it ourselves nor having a plan to restore order/authority created the power struggle which is now and will continue to unfold once we are gone.

Your comment sounds suspiciously close to democratic CYA if pulling out causes backlash.

I realize that some effects of any action are irreversible, but there is always the right (or best) choice to make at any given time.

I personally believe we should quit tiptoeing around the oil and aquire it, as everyone likes to pretend the war is about anyway. This would at least fund the efforts.
    With the US gone, we will have another Viet Nam on our hands and in our history. Millions were killed when the North Vietnamese assumed control. Genocide in the scale of Dufar look like a minor situation. Many on both sides of the political street consider Dufar to be important. I wonder if that will also be felt when Iraq becomes an extension of Iran and the cleansing begins in earnest.

Ben
    I wonder what the author's intent was in interjecting re-election comments.
    [QUOTE=daThomas;1307170]
    Only time will tell if getting out is the right thing. Perhaps some will be up for re-election when that given time has passed.[/QUOTE

Do you really think the rest of the world or our very own bleeding hearts would entertain the notioin of us filling the "power vacuum"?

As for restoring order... Wouldn't that raise the age old liberal argument- "Who's order?"

I guess if one is burdened with the "always against and never for" liberal mentallity, it would be easy to surrender to the idea that there is no "right" thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    I wonder what the author's intent was in interjecting re-election comments.

I find the assumption that its the "right" thing to be interesting.

At this point it's a "different" thing at best.
    Perhaps I have been blinded by denial and the iHope truely has inspired world peace.

Who's wants to be the one to tell Surur?
    There is no "right" thing at this point.
    What I mean by the right thing goes a little deeper than just political considerations or a particular policy. Itís about character. Having the character to stand up and say 5 years ago this policy is wrong, instead of waiting 5 years later. And only then, because youíre faced with an angry electorate. I bet youíll start to see many more flip flopping all over the place like a fish out of water. I guess Iím a little naive in the sense that I try to be considerate of other people in my decision making. T he right thing to me is never risking a fellow Americans life unnecessarily in the first place and not asking of someone, something that Iím not willing to give myself. Just cut to the chase.....simply ask yourself the question....is the situation in Iraq something Iím willing to die for? That eliminates a whole lot of BS irrelevant spin. People should ask themselves the hard questions because blind faith will get you killed. Commander in chief are not...anybody that canít put two sentences together without losing their train of thought....I wouldnít follow across the street.

As for restoring order... Wouldn't that raise the age old liberal argument- "Who's order?"
    Never heard of that one. What exactly does that mean?

I guess if one is burdened with the "always against and never for" liberal mentallity, it would be easy to surrender to the idea that there is no "right" thing to do.
    Please do tell me what exactly the "always against and never for" liberal mentality is? Is it the kitchen pass they gave Bush to go into this thing?
    Perhaps I have been blinded by denial and the iHope truely has inspired world peace.

Who's wants to be the one to tell Surur?

hehe

Surur
    Originally Posted by shopharim "I wonder what the author's intent was in interjecting re-election comments."

Talk about media bias! hahaha
    Maybe the author is just trying to wake some people up or remind people that the only time Congress acts, is when it's in THEIR interest.
    Talk about media bias! hahaha
    Maybe the author is just trying to wake some people up or remind people that the only time Congress acts, is when it's in THEIR interest.
    I know you're kidding but it seems obvious to me. None of these chickenhawks gave a crap about the loss of life over this pointless war until the support for the debacle reached the lows that it has. With an election looming and Bush unable to run again, they have no choice but to actually represent their constituents (what a novel idea) and turn away from this President's moronic attempt at cramming democracy down their throats via force.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Never heard of that one. What exactly does that mean?
    Just one example....
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    this President's moronic attempt at cramming democracy down their throats via force.
  17.    #17  
    the "always against and never for" liberal mentallity
    Is that right? Well who's is on the FOR side and who is on the AGAINST side here?

http://www.reuters.com/article/polit...34793420070711

I'll give you a hint, it involves supporting our troops.
    I'm afraid that there are NO good options in Iraq (We know who to blame for that!!). The following editorial captures what I think will happen if we pick our poison.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071001424.html
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    Is that right? Well who's is on the FOR side and who is on the AGAINST side here?

http://www.reuters.com/article/polit...34793420070711

Ironically this is what I meant. Always a complaint about current efforts but never commitment and/or responsibility to a solution. (Just read DA's CYA post in the begining of the thread)

I remember complaints that the military was already spread way too thin. Please tell me how more leave would help this.

Obviously we mourn the losses and sympathise with the harsh reality they live in, but that is their chosen profession. I for one am grateful for their choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post

It sure as hell aint the liberals. If not for them, the troops might actually be able fight the war, instead of worrying about how the world might "feel" about it. With this respect the refrence to Vietnam couldn't be more accurate.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast