1.    #1  
    I am currently evaluating the Comodo Personal firewall vs my current Zone Alarm firewall.

Anyone tried the Comodo version and what their experience (+ or -) are?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    That's a good article. Thanks for the link.
    If you have a spare PC around, monowall is a great free firewall. Been using it for years here at home, but many use it in larger companies as well.

http://m0n0.ch/wall/
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I have been using the free release of ZoneAlarm for Windows Vista. I am not experiencing the issues Scot described. Take a look at www.grc.com and run the tests - this dude is the expert. Ben
    I used to use ZoneAlarm but with XP just use the WinDoze firewall.

I'd like to add to your OP question if I may as I think it's in the same vein. For home antivirus I use AVG and have been pleased. Heck, it's free for home use. Any comments on AVG for home and business server use?
    I used AVG for a while with no issues. However, after reading around, I came across Avast!, an anti-virus solution free for home use. I have it installed on a Windows ME server and my Windows Vista Home Premium Acer laptop. The site is http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html.

As for other firewalls, in the past I have used Norton (too many resources) and on the Windows ME before I converted it to server usage, it craped out so bad that I was never able to get Norton running again, so I reinstalled the OS and gave Tiny a try then ZoneAlarm and stuck with it. On another laptop I got it came with McAfee and that was a dog.

On the Vista laptop I have, I deleted Norton and installed Avast! and then after ZoneAlarm basic was released from beta, installed it.

Ben
  8.    #8  
    After a couple of hours of putting Comodo Pro through its phases, I was finally able to make it work. Unfortunately it blocks my corporate VPN connection unless I take out one of the options and added more rules to let the connection go through.

Ran into another set of problems with the block all option. The software would not return back to normal operations even if you set it back from block all to custom.

In comparing the logs, ZoneAlarms blocks more inbound IP connections that are not authorized versus the Comodo. The Comodo logs are so unwieldy to review as well.

If I get more issues on this, I have to go back to ZoneAlarm.

I do use the Avast and so far has blocked several nasty viruses when my kids downloads stuff. As with any anti viruses, it is only as good as the lists it compares from hence my search for the firewall.

I decided on the Avast after Norton corrupted my laptop with one of its updates.

Thanks you guys for all the feedback.
    ronbo,

do you have a nat firewall?

when i do pcs, i stick avg on it. it works. I have read good things about avast though. never tried it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  10.    #10  
    I have the router that performs the NAT functions, but that does not seem enough. With the firewall, you can actually see which IP addresses are trying to access your ports.

Unfortunately, with kids around doing downloading (music), they can get to nasty places and get those trojan horses in your system. I have a network I have to protect. Its very difficult to eliminate those bots once they get in.

I have restricted their accounts since then.
    You got that right. Last year I restricted access on my system to a handful of sites. The kids were not happy, but they finally gave in and realize that as far as I am concerned, they have zero privacy. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I used AVG for a while with no issues. However, after reading around, I came across Avast!, an anti-virus solution free for home use. I have it installed on a Windows ME server and my Windows Vista Home Premium Acer laptop. The site is http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html.

As for other firewalls, in the past I have used Norton (too many resources) and on the Windows ME before I converted it to server usage, it craped out so bad that I was never able to get Norton running again, so I reinstalled the OS and gave Tiny a try then ZoneAlarm and stuck with it. On another laptop I got it came with McAfee and that was a dog.

On the Vista laptop I have, I deleted Norton and installed Avast! and then after ZoneAlarm basic was released from beta, installed it.

Ben
    I use Avast! and it works quite well. Can't beat the price.

There is a little performance hit for me though. My speedtest with Avast! running drops from 20Mbps to 18Mbps when it's running - although there is probably a hit in speeds no matter what program you use. Not a huge deal for me since I have Fios but something to consider if you have slower broadband access.