Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33
  1. tirk's Avatar
    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I did not say scare - I said concerned. If you are saying you are not scared or concerned, then you are just begging for a hit.

    Good luck with that attitude. It will not help you when the situation gets rough.

    Ben
    Who asked for your help anyway? Not needed or wanted (or likely to be much help, by the sound of you). I just thought you'd like to be informed what the general attitude was in London, not my opinion, but the general view I have heard from friends and colleagues, and repeatedly in vox-pops.

    As to attitude, well, you win there. I suggest counselling, or maybe drinking less.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  2. #22  
    Come on folks. No need to get personal.

    Some people just like to view desperate, foolish attempts at terror as a reason to subjugate themselves to their gov't.
  3. tirk's Avatar
    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Come on folks. No need to get personal.
    Yeah, you're probably right. My apologies for any offence.

    Some people just like to view desperate, foolish attempts at terror as a reason to subjugate themselves to their gov't.
    Indeed. I'm just re-reading 1984 after more than 35 years (yikes!) It's scary how appropriate it is to today in some ways...
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Some people just like to view desperate, foolish attempts at terror as a reason to subjugate themselves to their gov't.
    LOL.

    I'm still trying to figure out exactly what "attitude" tirk is exhibiting that will make him regret it "when things get rough".

    Hey tirk, I'll be in London on August 12th - perhaps I'll buy you a pint and we'll discuss your attitude.
  5. #25  
    As the below states, no need to get personal. However, just for your information, I do not drink anything other than water - no booze, no soda. I do not smoke. I do not gamble. My life is an open book. You are pushing the limits.

    What I have stated, which you fail to understand, if you ignore terrorism, terrorism will not ignore you. If you are not prepared, if you do not take the time to look at something/someone suspicious, the list continues. Do you really want to place yourself or your family in the position you are speaking of? I doubt it. We did not ask to be the target of terrorists.

    Also, does it not seem strange that countries with oppressive governments are seedbeds of terroristic activity? Look around with your eyes open. They will come looking for any person that can be victimized.

    Ben

    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Who asked for your help anyway? Not needed or wanted (or likely to be much help, by the sound of you). I just thought you'd like to be informed what the general attitude was in London, not my opinion, but the general view I have heard from friends and colleagues, and repeatedly in vox-pops.

    As to attitude, well, you win there. I suggest counselling, or maybe drinking less.
  6. #26  
    Desperate foolish attempts at terror become successful terrorist activities when the bomb goes off. Desperate foolish attempts at terror become successful terrorist activities when one person with an agenda successfully completes his goal of killing a group of people.

    Desperate foolish attempts at terror are as dangerous as those that actually occur. Even a failure can achieve the goal.

    At no time have I said to be scared, just concerned. Also, does anyone here know who has been a victim of the Patriot Act? Has anyone here been a victim of the Patriot Act? Has anyone here committed any acts that would make themselves a "victim" of the Patriot Act?

    Ben

    Quote:

    Some people just like to view desperate, foolish attempts at terror as a reason to subjugate themselves to their gov't.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Also, you statement about Bush and terrorism - this country has done more for the Islamic world than any other - the money we spend, the efforts to promote peace. No one comes close.
    Could you please elaborate on this? Are you referring to the current Iraq disaster, where the US certainly spend a lot of money and effort, but don't get anywhere, to the contratry?

    Do you mean the CIA plot against the elected Iranian Prime Minister, the US support for the cruel Shah regime that followed, leading to the Iranian Revolution? Or do you mean the support for Saddam Hussein in the Iran-Iraq war?

    Do you mean the support for the Saudi regime, Bush holding hands and flirting with the Saudi Prince?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    What I have stated, which you fail to understand, if you ignore terrorism, terrorism will not ignore you.
    OK, yes, we cannot ignore terrorism. What is your point again? Are you saying that anyone who vehemently disagrees with current US policies on how to handle terrorism would rather ignore it? Really? Who wants to ignore it? Can you be more specific and quote someone that said we should just ignore it and it will go away?

    If you are not prepared, if you do not take the time to look at something/someone suspicious, the list continues.
    How do we prepare Ben? Please do tell me what to do because you're scaring the crap out of me and I want to be prepared for "things to get rough". Do tell.

    Do you really want to place yourself or your family in the position you are speaking of? I doubt it.
    What position are we speaking of? You seem to think we all just want to roll over and pretend the terrorists aren't there. What you fail to see is that most any sane person would naturally be concerned about terrorism. It's just that some are paralyzed by the fear (with a lot of help from the Bush administration) and brave on to live our lives as free individuals.

    Also, does it not seem strange that countries with oppressive governments are seedbeds of terroristic activity? Look around with your eyes open. They will come looking for any person that can be victimized.

    Ben
    Yes yes I know Ben, they're coming to get us. Duct tape your windows and let the government come on in to protect you.
  9. #29  
    Apart from keeping my eyes open a bit more for anything odd it isn't going to affect my life or attitudes one bit.
    Animo et Fide
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Isn't it strange how the terrorist threat level hasn't moved much at all since the last elections? Isn't it odd how it was elevated within days of any bad news for the administration leading up to an election? Isn't it strange that the Iraq war HAD to start when it did (just before the mid-term elections) and could not wait until after the elections? Don't tell me this administration doesn't rely on fear and hasn't used it for political gain because they absolutely have.
    At the national level, the threat level is "Elevated" and hasn't changed in over three years. For airline flights, the threat level is already "High" and has been there for the last year. I don't think they'd change it back to "Severe" unless they had specific knowledge of an attack.

    It's possible we may see some change again this summer.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=3336148


    As for the Iraq War, the Administration wanted to invade in Fall 2002, but they waited many months to go through the UN. Apparently, you think they should have waited eight more months to avoid affecting the elections.


    And just because the Administration uses fear for political purposes doesn't mean you shouldn't be afraid.
  11. tirk's Avatar
    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Hey tirk, I'll be in London on August 12th - perhaps I'll buy you a pint and we'll discuss your attitude.
    If you're at a loose end, drop me a PM.

    Perhaps it's time for a London meetup....
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  12. #32  
    Your sarcasm is unnecessary. Try posting without it. As for scaring you, you cannot be serious. My intention is not to scare anyone, just to emphasis the very well known fact that they (the terrorists) hate you and without any prompting will kill you. Are they coming to kill you? They are all ready here. Duct tape your windows if that makes you feel better. Just do not ignore the threat.

    Ben

    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    OK, yes, we cannot ignore terrorism. What is your point again? Are you saying that anyone who vehemently disagrees with current US policies on how to handle terrorism would rather ignore it? Really? Who wants to ignore it? Can you be more specific and quote someone that said we should just ignore it and it will go away?



    How do we prepare Ben? Please do tell me what to do because you're scaring the crap out of me and I want to be prepared for "things to get rough". Do tell.



    What position are we speaking of? You seem to think we all just want to roll over and pretend the terrorists aren't there. What you fail to see is that most any sane person would naturally be concerned about terrorism. It's just that some are paralyzed by the fear (with a lot of help from the Bush administration) and brave on to live our lives as free individuals.



    Yes yes I know Ben, they're coming to get us. Duct tape your windows and let the government come on in to protect you.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    My intention is not to scare anyone, just to emphasis the very well known fact that they (the terrorists) hate you and without any prompting will kill you. Are they coming to kill you? They are all ready here. Duct tape your windows if that makes you feel better. Just do not ignore the threat.

    Ben
    Again, I'm not ignoring it. I'm just not going to be paralyzed by it. Nor will I be coerced by the Bush administration into surrendering my liberty and living in a "lock down society" for the sake of a false sense of security.

    They'll attack when and if they want to attack. We need to reduce that likelihood with a comprehensive and INCLUSIVE foreign policy backed by our status as an economic giant and lastly, by our military might.

    Sadly the Bush adminstration has been the best recruiting tool any terrorist organization could ever ask for. A go it alone cowboy willing to **** off everyone - including his best allies - that feeds the Islamic-extremist propaganda machine with a very big dose of "...you see, I told you so." The good news for us is that they'd be crazy to attack us while he is in office - he is the gift that keeps on giving in Islamo-facist world, so why ruin a good thing? But I fear the pressure is building and at some point we'll pay a very big price for his arrogance. And when it comes, you're right Ben....we should be very concerned and/or scared because it will all come back in spades once it hits the fan (again).
    Last edited by moderateinny; 07/03/2007 at 01:08 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions