Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    So yes, practically speaking, science has contributed much. But have we really improved the quality of life over what is available in the realm of religion?
    This must be why the Middle Age was such a great time for people - religion ruled, real science did not exist, and people who claimed stupid things such as earth circling the sun where burnt at the stake. There were no famines, no plague or other catastrophic epidemics, people lived a healthy life based on healthy whole-grain diets, enjoyed longevity, peace and prosperity, almost no babies died in their first year, no women during childbirth, there were no wars (and certainly no religious wars), etc. Ahh, the good old days before science came along, who wouldn't want to go back?
    So yes, practically speaking, science has contributed much. But have we really improved the quality of life over what is available in the realm of religion?
    Take the bible and live on an island somewhere together with your family, without the fruits of scientific results. That will answer your question very quickly. Good luck, till then.
    Last edited by clulup; 07/02/2007 at 06:04 AM.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup View Post
    ...Take the bible and live on an island somewhere together with your family, without the fruits of scientific results. That will answer your question very quickly. Good luck, till then.
    Give me the "Garden of Eden" circumstances and you've got a deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup View Post
    This must be why the Middle Age was such a great time for people - religion ruled, real science did not exist, and people who claimed stupid things such as earth circling the sun where burnt at the stake. There were no famines, no plague or other catastrophic epidemics, people lived a healthy life based on healthy whole-grain diets, enjoyed longevity, peace and prosperity, almost no babies died in their first year, no women during childbirth, there were no wars (and certainly no religious wars), etc. Ahh, the good old days before science came along, who wouldn't want to go back?...
    I remain puzzled why such discussions dissolve into either/or scenarios. What is so difficult about both/and?

That notwithstanding, for simplicity sake, let's agree that "science" has largely resolved famines, plague, epidemics, infant mortality, maternal survival rates and war (well, ok strike that one). Why did those things exist in the first place?
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    I remain puzzled why such discussions dissolve into either/or scenarios. What is so difficult about both/and?
    I don't think it has to be either (Christian) religion or science. But you cannot have science AND young earth or creationism taken literally.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123