Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I'm not sure how much publicity the Elisa Kelly story is getting in the USA, but it's beginning to get some coverage here in the UK.

I have to say that I'm surprised not only at the issue itself (it's legal here for children to drink over the age of 5 with parental approval), more that Americans, of all people, would accept governmental interference in such family matters. Is the real issue that other children were involved (whose parents may well have objected), or is this just a legitimate issue where the government has supremacy over an individual families rights?

And regardless of all that, isn't the sentence totally disproportionate?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    it's legal here for children to drink over the age of 5 with parental approval
    So that means if I'm a parent, I can let my 6 year old get wasted? That seems a bit odd to me...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    From the article:
    But Albemarle County Commonwealth's Attorney James L. Camblos III, who prosecuted the parents, said it was the worst case of underage drinking he has had to deal with in 15 years. "Not only were they serving alcohol to 15- and 16-year-olds, they misled parents who called to ask about alcohol, and they tried to get the kids to cover it up after police got there," Camblos said.
    Yea, I experienced England when I was 13 and encountered the alcohol is no big deal environment.

Here it's a big deal. The age for beer and wine was raised to 21 by Reagan. 27 months seems a bit high but they intentionally misled other parents which is not cool. What they want to give their own is much different than getting other parents kids drunk.
    So the teenager's parents get over two years each for making sure their child and his friends drink responsibly (since they would probably have done it anyway somewhere less safe) and Paris Hilton gets 45 days (which some are saying is excessive) for violation of probation, driving with a suspended license and getting behind the wheel of a potentially deadly weapon while under the influence?
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    So that means if I'm a parent, I can let my 6 year old get wasted? That seems a bit odd to me...
    Only because you assume they're letting their kid get wasted. I've always found the American/Puritan attitude towards alcohol more odd.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    No. That would be illegal, I suspect and hope, for other reasons.

There's a difference between using alcohol responsibly, and "getting wasted". At their grandparents golden wedding celebration, my children joined in the champagne toast, for example.

Secondly, who decides what is acceptable? The children's parents (and yes, I do know that is part of the issue here), or the government?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Yea, I experienced England when I was 13 and encountered the alcohol is no big deal environment.

Here it's a big deal. The age for beer and wine was raised to 21 by Reagan. 27 months seems a bit high but they intentionally misled other parents which is not cool. What they want to give their own is much different than getting other parents kids drunk.
    Actually, youngsters & alcohol IS a big deal here these days, it's just that big stick approaches don't seem to be in favour - it's treated as a health and education issue, almost exclusively.

As an outsider, it does seem that the US thinks that prison is the answer to most problems (just an observation, I'm not trying to offend... if you'll excuse the pun!)