Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey everyone,
    I'm going to rebuild my computer at home and I would like some advice. I'm going to backup all my data and reinstall the OS.

But should I go with Vista or XP Pro? I have the license and media for both and am dual booting right now but it's time for one or another, i'm sick of dual booting.

I want to go with Vista b/c I like being on the cutting edge of tech, but XP Pro is proven. and as much as i would like to say f*ck MS and just install Ubuntu that is not going to happen just yet.

So what would you install? Vista or XP? my computer is plenty powerful for either OS so that is not a factor.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Both...create a 2nd partition and install one OS on each. Do XP first as it will make it easier with Vista's bootloader being loaded 2nd.

If you were to choose only one, I would suggest XP Pro. I use both and while Vista has some cool newness to it, XP is so much faster on the same hardware. I even found the actual Vista sidebar that someone ported over to XP and it works well. Its not a knockoff as its the actual software. Combine that with a good Vista theme and you will have a system that looks very similar to Vista.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  3.    #3  
    I'm dual booting right now and it's just annoying to maintain two Windows OS'. I'll prob go with XP and use the Google sidebar for the gadgets.

though I am now seriously thinking about dual booting with Ubuntu since I can just set aside a 15gb partition for it and i'm using Linux/unix in my new job more and more often. I'm going to create three partitions, one for windows (30gb) , one for ubuntu (20bg, pending) and another for all my data, tv shows, and music (~170gb). I'm using two 250gb drives in a RAID1 so I don't worry about all my eggs being in one basket (if i had a set of balls I would just do a RAID0 and get 0.5TBs of storage but i would cry if I lost all that data and I don't enjoy shooting myself in the foot).

So XP pro it is with Ubuntu on the side...

any other ideas or comments?

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I'd go with XP untill vista releases a service pack
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiffer View Post
    I'd go with XP untill vista releases a service pack

I'd tend to agree. I'm running Vista x86 at work and on my desktop at home as well as Vista x64 on a laptop and I can tell you that while it has a lot of nice new features, you're going to pay the price right now in sluggishness and errant behavior. Since SP1 is rumored to be out this fall, I'd wait and you'll likely enjoy a much better experience than those of us early sufferers... er, adopters
    You might also consider setting up your Linux distro using vmware under XP. The server version of vmware is free or you can buy the workstation version. The Microsoft server version of their virtual PC software is free as well, but I have always been partial to vmware.

If you want to XP to be all it can be, I would suggest you create an install disk using nlite (freeware, check google). You can slipstream SP2 as well as hotfixes, tweaks and all kinds of good stuff in. I did this on my Dad's new Dell I just setup and its really fast now. I also disabled indexing and the built in windows restore feature in the nlite slipstreamed disk. I installed Acronis for the backup software.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    You might also consider setting up your Linux distro using vmware under XP. The server version of vmware is free or you can buy the workstation version. The Microsoft server version of their virtual PC software is free as well, but I have always been partial to vmware.

If you want to XP to be all it can be, I would suggest you create an install disk using nlite (freeware, check google). You can slipstream SP2 as well as hotfixes, tweaks and all kinds of good stuff in. I did this on my Dad's new Dell I just setup and its really fast now. I also disabled indexing and the built in windows restore feature in the nlite slipstreamed disk. I installed Acronis for the backup software.
    The only crappy part about the VMWare is that they don't have the tools for Debian pre-built and I'm still new enough at Linux that I wouldn't feel confident building them and installing them. Though working at EMC i'm sure some egghead here could help me with it

I'd like to us the eye-candy for Linux anyway so i'll do the native install. That's part of the fun

I've tried to use nLite in the past but I never got any success with it. But the CD I have is from last year so I have SP2 on it. I'm thinking i'll have close to 100 updates (not to mention office!) but whatever, that's what Microquad and Bike or Die are for

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    i vote vista.

once you go uac, you cant go back.

seriously, my 2 laptops have vista.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  9.    #9  
    Like I said I have Vista now and it is fun to use but I cannot stand the security warnings, not syning my Treo, issues with iTunes, and other odd things... guess i'm answering my own questions..
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    761 Global Posts
    i have vista. no problems so far.

you can take the security warnings off, and i have no issues with my treo, or iTunes.
    blake!

Sprint Centro
    Try PClinuxOS I think you would like it. when you try it install Beryl for the eye candy.
    I love my vista as well.
    If its the google widgets that are in vista that you want stick with xp. I have vista home premium and love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    Like I said I have Vista now and it is fun to use but I cannot stand the security warnings, not syning my Treo, issues with iTunes, and other odd things... guess i'm answering my own questions..
    definately, if you are going to sync, then xp is really the only choice now.

what itunes issues?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I can sync my treo 650 to vista no problems, but only to outlook or palm desktop. I wish I could sync to the built in calendar and contacts apps.
    also xp pro has proven drivers that will work. if you have a lot of connections (i.e printer, scanner, etc) that will not upgrade to vista (no drivers yet), there have been reports of people left behind when they upgraded.
    if you dont have any unusual printers (i.e. microjet for dvds, multifeed highspeed scanners), etc- then go with vista-
    Lance
    http://www.aslmentor.com
    (my avatar means "I love you" in sign language.
    --------------------------
    PalmIII->Sidekick I-->Sidekick II -->Sidekick III and now Treo 750 which blows them all away.
    I have no issues with Vista and like it much more than XP.

I use TweakVI as well to help optimize things.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    just reloaded my machine with XP, I fell in love with Vista however I could not find a work around to my VPN software. In addition Vista would not allow me to access a few special web sites which I needed for my job. Thus back to XP.
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindan View Post
    Try PClinuxOS I think you would like it. when you try it install Beryl for the eye candy.
    I agree here. Something linux based has always proven to be more stable for me. We have Suse 10 on the desktop at home and I am thinking of replacing Vista on my HP laptop with Ubuntu.
  19. ep1
    Global Posts
    1,176 Global Posts
    i vote vista i did just that went back after using vista. i think i had XP pro. about a week and after using vista my eye just could'nt adjust to the dull colors of XP. man i was suprise it was that much diffrent. now I'm vista all the way.
    Two laptops with Vista and frankly, though it works well on the Gateway, its implementation of Bluetooth is not the best. The early release of Vista was a biter, my first Vista laptop, an Acer, ran fine except the USB was flaky - somethings would work, others not. i then went with a Gateway that has been flawless with usb and so-so with Bluetooth. Ben
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast