1.    #1  
    This is incredibly sad. Only one left in Zambia. ( Id like to edit my thread title as I am not sure this means the extinction of the species entirely, but rather within the country of Zambia alone. )

G#d d#mn poachers. We should poach THEM.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070612...g_070612135653
    Last edited by treobk214; 06/12/2007 at 03:57 PM.
    That seriously sucks...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Very sad
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Can they clone it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Can they clone it?
    Thats a good point.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Thats a good point.
    if for some reason it can't be cloned now then the least the scientist should do is keep as much of it's DNA as possible for when they can clone it.

Gee, I never noticed that this forum only quotes the text of the person who is being quoted, my other forums quote everything, funny I never noticed that
    Last edited by kamizuno; 06/13/2007 at 06:49 AM. Reason: adding stuff
    garinballbarin
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    This is incredibly sad. Only one left in Zambia. ( Id like to edit my thread title as I am not sure this means the extinction of the species entirely, but rather within the country of Zambia alone. )

G#d d#mn poachers. We should poach THEM.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070612...g_070612135653
    Only problem with poaching the poachers is you end up with Darfur. Otherwise, I'm right with ya brother.
    For the record, the white rhino is found in other places as well, including zoos and such (a local zoo near me, Lion Country Safari, has 4 or 6 of them, and has had many successful births). In fact, there are, I believe, other 10,000 in the world. There is a subspecies (strain) that is critically endangered, but I don't think that was the one that was shot.

It is still incredibly sad that this animal will become locally extinct, but it isn't going to be exinct in the world.

Update - I read that is was a southern white rhino (the non-endangered strain) that was shot. The northern white rhino has between 4 and 13 individuals left, I believe. The southern white rhino is the most abundant rhino species in the world. I am not, however, saying that this is "ok" now.

Chris
    Last edited by cjvitek; 06/13/2007 at 09:22 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cjvitek View Post
    For the record, the white rhino is found in other places as well, including zoos and such (a local zoo near me, Lion Country Safari, has 4 or 6 of them, and has had many successful births). In fact, there are, I believe, other 10,000 in the world. There is a subspecies (strain) that is critically endangered, but I don't think that was the one that was shot.

It is still incredibly sad that this animal will become locally extinct, but it isn't going to be exinct in the world.

Update - I read that is was a southern white rhino (the non-endangered strain) that was shot. The northern white rhino has between 4 and 13 individuals left, I believe. The southern white rhino is the most abundant rhino species in the world. I am not, however, saying that this is "ok" now.

Chris

Yes, I realized this just after I posted the thread. This is localized to that one particular country, not the world. I`d have edited the title but I cant.