Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Apple will make a big announcement on Tuesday. Looks like a radical new line of iBooks will be introduced, and the company will detail its plans for Apple Stores (ala Gateway country).

read:

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...081697,00.html
    It's about time. I think Apple makes awesome products ones that I have used ever since the Apple IIe, remember that? I'm tired of walking in to supposedly Apple partner retailers committed to selling their products (Sears, CompUSA, Circuit City) only to get an ***** to tell me that theyre going out of business, no software for it, wintel's are much better. I think they only way a customer is going to get a satisfying experience is from an Apple store. A $999 thinner ibook, YES!
    The rumors about the new iBooks are exciting. Same size screen but smaller "bumpers" plus cdrw/dvd rom a possibility. I'm the happy user of two (2) blueberry iBooks which are so fantastic that I would save them from a burning building. If Apple keeps its eye on the aesthetics (my two iBooks are great looking) and adds memory and features can a third iBook be in my future, replacing my plans for a cube or a TiBook?
    When I get a little money I buy books; if any is left, I buy food and clothes.
    http://www.go2mac.com/displaynews.cfm?newsid=7900

has rumored specs for the new laptops. A $999 machine with 128MB RAM! If it's true it'll answer a lot of complaints (some on VC ) about overpriced under-RAM'ed Apple stuff.

I still have an Apple IIgs, upgraded to 2MB RAM, although it's in the basement and the monitor doesn't work anymore.

The retail stores are a great idea since Apple products are very artistic, and other "fashionable" companies like Sony and Nike also have showrooms. I hope Apple will find some space on North Michigan in Chicago.
    Originally posted by dalamar70
    I still have an Apple IIgs, upgraded to 2MB RAM, although it's in the basement and the monitor doesn't work anymore.
    Some one gave me a Mac Plus a few months back, it still works, just needs to whack the side once and a while to get the screen to stay on.. Kind of amusing to fire it up once and a while... Sad thing is I realized my Prism is more powerful..
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    I hope Apple will find some space on North Michigan in Chicago.
    The apple store is apparantly going in next door to the Sony Story in Chicago.

For those in MN, the apple store is apparently going into the Mall of America...for better or worse.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Boston! Boston! Boston!

Even though I don't use Mac's, I still don't want to have to travel to Chicago to see one of their stores (which I will do if I have to).

BEN
    [quote]
    The rumors about the new iBooks are exciting. Same size screen but smaller "bumpers" plus cdrw/dvd rom a possibility.
    [quote]

Hmmm. I've read that the screen is going to be 13.3" and support 1024X768. Add in 128Mb memory and a 10-12Gb harddrive, and that'll be a sweet deal for $999.

128 is still a bit light (if you want to run OS X, that is), but a definite improvement. That means most mail order places will sell it with 256.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    <<128 is still a bit light (if you want to run OS X, that is), but a definite improvement. That means most mail order places will sell it with 256.>>

I usually prefer to buy and install memory myself: cheaper. But you are correct, Apple has always installed too little memory in its products.
    Ben, NY is closer to Boston than Chicago.

I don't live THAT close to Chicago; does anyone know what's currently next to Sony? I thought Niketown was the next store going north.
    I have a summer house in michigan which is right next to chicago. That's why I said it.

BEN
    If I had a summer house I'd probably visit all the Grand Openings for the Apple stores who cares where they were. If you have an plane ticket send one my way please....... I'm in CA.
    <troll>
    It's still just a crappy Mac. "My computer needs personality" the users whine.
    </troll>

Creole:

What you talking about?
    -David Byrne
  16.    #16  
    Homer, don't feed the troll!
  17.    #17  
    News item just posted at ZDNET.

Read:

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...713380,00.html
    Time for a little rant.

Apple BETTER be using these stores to service their apple-only service models.

I have a Cube at work. It has a bad video card. The ONLY way I can get it fixed is if I send it to Apple for a week.

Well, gee, I guess I just won't collect a pay check next week. Thanks Apple.

I'm very excited about the new apple stores...it's about time, but if these are merely 'hey look at our shiny computers' type stores, I'm not going to be that thrilled about the whole concept.

That said, I don't want them to replace CompUSA and their loyal (but shrinking) independant reseller/repair chain, either. Apple's been known to screw over their own resellers in the past.
    -David Byrne
    What time is the press conference at?
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
  20.    #20  
    Originally posted by JHromadka
    What time is the press conference at?
    That info hasn't been released yet. It could be an invite only press event.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast